The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Meeting your Girls family

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    A great summary Thai Spy with some good advice... Welcome to the board, look forward to your knowledge and input...

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I just had a very interesting conversation today with Art, the Thai waiter at the Thai Bisto I drop into about once a week. Art is a school teacher who graduated from University in Chiang Mai, taught in a university in Phitsanulok, and now lives in Vancouver. Great Thai bistro and really friendly staff. I go when its not to busy and get lots of chance to practice my Thai and chat about things to do and see when there.

Well today there was noone else in the restaurant, so I asked Art if he had a few minutes to chat, as I had some questions. I told him I'd been invited to my Thai gf's home village (he knows about Nui btw and is very cool about it, offering all kinds of tips and suggestions), and asked him about my responsibilities as a visiting Farang. I mentioned gifts of family and money for the parents, etc, and he had some really interesting things to say.

First off, he says when he goes back to Thailand now to visit his village, he is seen as a farang, because he has lived in Canada long enough. He says people drop by just to see this Thai farang and say hi. He, too, is expected to provide food and drinks when he visits, so is very aware of some of the responsibilities we face when we go to the village. He suggested the very best approach, especially since I will have a rented car, is to load up Nui and her mother and father, if he wants to come along, and take them both to Phitsanulok, which is only about a half hour drive. Once there, go to a BIG supermarket, and tell Nui and her mom to buy whatever they need. He says you can buy an entire pig for around $100 CAN, which is aprox 3k baht. He says, while you're at the supermarket, pick up a few cases of Chang, so you have drinks enough for anyone who drops by. Once mama has what she needs, take her to the checkout, and pay for it. He says it very likely will not even be close to 5k baht, that I had suggested giving in cash.

He says if you want to buy practical gifts like clothes, etc, take the boys along too, and get them some clothes, as they are very cheap for little kids. He says you can also find out what the mother and father really need around the house, and buy that if it is not too expensive. In this way, you are giving them what they need, and showing your generosity at the same time. He said, "Everyone will be very happy because you have shown that you are a generous man." Yet at the same time, I won't be wondering how much cash to hand over ... with worries of is it enough, etc.

He did say, if you want, just hand over cash, but by taking them shopping, and participating in that with Nui and her parents, its also a "bonding" experience for all of you.

I thought it was interesting enough to share.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

I do exactly this VG... there is a Lotus supermarket 20min up the road and we do a few big shops while i'm there... Have even bought young niece a tricycle...
    If we go somewhere in the car I pay for juice, If drink or food is required I pay.... I think the most it has cost me was less than $500AUD which isn't a lot!

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    God I must be tight. I have yet to spend a penny on various trips to the village... 555
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    God I must be tight. I have yet to spend a penny on various trips to the village... 555
    Cheap Charlie 555

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Cheap Charlie 555
    And yet everyone still seems so happy to see me... though I still haven't figured out what that big hole is for that they are digging out back... looks about the same size as me too... 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    And yet everyone still seems so happy to see me... though I still haven't figured out what that big hole is for that they are digging out back... looks about the same size as me too... 555
    Paddy goes to visit Mick, he is in the backyard digging a hole.

Paddy asks" what you diggin a hole for?" Mick " to burry me dog"

Paddy" so whats that hole over there for?"

Mick" It was to burry ma dog but it wasn't deep enough"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Paddy goes to visit Mick, he is in the backyard digging a hole.

Paddy asks" what you diggin a hole for?" Mick " to burry me dog"

Paddy" so whats that hole over there for?"

Mick" It was to burry ma dog but it wasn't deep enough"
    I'll tell them the hole aint big enough each time then... 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Or as they say in Thailand Fever, sticky siht 555
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 1st June 2011 at 20:54.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I took apart from what you all have suggested Kangaroo jerky. The hot spicy one of course. I produced it on day 3 after all a little more comfortable with each other. After they had watched me screw my face up at most of the food. I suggest they all try. I watched all strange reactions and the talking and the Kangaroo hopping movements. I then refused to eat some myself “too spicy”. Great laughter from everyone.

Newby
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Get drunk with the male members of the family and eat crazy raw beef salad.
    Tell complicated jokes and get Noi to translate.......he he maybe not the last bit.
    555 yep did that my first trip and it definitely helps to break the ice when everyone’s had a few and the nerves have died off. Eating the raw beef and some crickets and sitting and sleeping on the ground with the family helped as well to show I am wasn’t to precious to take part in their way of life instead of needing to run off to a hotel for a comfy bed

Cadet Gold
    I met most of the family members at the wedding ,however my wifes aunt and her husband invited us round as it wa not to far from the unit so of we go .I can tell you this fellow is a cop and a big cop and so is his wife (not big) so they are both with the rtp .Did the singa bottles get a hammering that night i couldnt finish half a glass before it was topped up again a big meal was prepared for all which was really great fried chicken fried what i believe was barramundi by the looks prawns ect ect.By the time we left i was plastered , some guys hedge got a free watering much to the wifes disgust thankfully it was late at night ,the other members of her family are scattered from nong kompatom to chon buri .
    One thing they did say and it sticks in my mind is "now you are family" and also this was said to me by the guy who stood in for my family who isnt a blood relative of my wife ,he gave me a croc skin belt for a present when i left really nice thought and a nice belt ,anyway i may see them from time to time but they all know the score in regards to money and finances in my household .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I just never saw the big deal some guys make it out to be.....and again I think it's all a bit of an ego thing.

I went and visited my wife's family. Except for the communication, it was no different to me than meeting any other girl's family

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    My first trip to see the family was scary as f#ck

I went alone but I had a mission and Janice stayed in Perth.

I got a flight early Friday morning from Perth arriving in her home town at 4am Saturday morning. 3 planes a bus and two taxis to a place I had never been.

A few months earlier we broke up, I called it off and her family was not happy with me because I broke her heart. Her mumma was pissed off and she is like the matriarch of the family. I had arranged to see mumma at 10am Saturday morning. When I arrived they were very stand offish. I explained why I broke up with her and then asked to marry there daughter. They accepted and we had lunch.

I was then invited to dinner and it was like we had known each other for years, they made me feel very onfortable. I went to my hotel got a sleep and returned at 6 for dinner to the family home. Meanwhile mumma had rung all her 13 brothers and sisters and dinner turned into a big party of about 60 people. I had a early flight the Sunday morning back home.

Was an amazing trip and I had to ask the traditional way and make up for hurting there daughter. I gain the respect once they knew I was flying home the next day.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 4th January 2018 at 07:37.
    Distantpeak and justcruzing1 like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Funny story. So my 1st ever trip to Thailand involved no P4P. Instead I spent the entire trip (around 5 weeks) with this girl whom I met on Thai Friendly.

Part of that trip involved meeting her family in Ubon. At the time it all went over my head but looking back it was a really odd thing to agree to for a girl id only known for a few weeks. That was my 1st ever experience riding in the back of a pick up truck and afterwards I thought I had gone part deaf. We went to Tesco lotus and bought a bunch of stuff. Naturally I was expected to pay.

Back at the house I think the entire family was there. Tonnes of food and booze going around and there was me in the middle of it all. I didn't know any of them and didn't even speak thai back then. Good experience though. Using an Issan toilet, being the only foreigner in the local market. All the old women were coming up to me and stroking my arm hair. 555

I was glad to get the fk out of there after though.
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    First visit home for me was my second trip from Perth to meet Au.

At that time, Au worked at A One Hotel on Beach Rd.

We caught an overnight bus to Phu Kiao stopping at Korat on the way.

My biggest apprehension about meeting the family was whether they had a sqaut dunny 555.

Other than that it was a breeze. Bought some steak and cooked it on the charcoal bbq... it was tender, juicy and some of the best I'd done. They had never had it before.

Showed them how to make mashed potatoes.. potato balls filled with pork, chicken, cheese, chillies and deep fried.

Got the BILs and the uncles drunk as on tequila.

Taught the village kids Touch Rugby.

A really great experience for me and them.
    Chob and OZZYGUY like this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    first time i got invited to a village to meet the family i turned it down much to the shock of the TG.
    she was a nice little piece of ass but someone i could see was working guys for everything she could and it didn't feel right to me or something i really wanted to do.
    a couple of weeks later i found out that she had a VIP customer there visiting just before she invited me to go there.
    wise decision me thinks.
    a coupla years later she was visiting phuket with her husband and holed up at my place while holding her pussy to ransom from him 55 and not long after separated from him.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 7th January 2018 at 17:19.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    ^^ 555 good intuition.

Spent a bit of money before mine kicked in. I was a 2 week millionaire during the first couple of trips
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Platinum
    My experience was a different one slightly. The girl I was seeing was from Thalang and I was invited to her uncles funeral. I was given instructions on colors I could and couldn’t wear but other than that was very laid back. I was the only foreigner there and all the people were very friendly and made a big effort. Bringing food and making effort to talk. I had ok Thai (enough to get by) and a lot of sign language. The most endearing part was the obvious interest of all the children. Literally about 20 sat in front of me and just stared. The girl I was with said it was the first time they had seen a white person. Kept pointing at my arm hair and laughing. It was an experience I never forgot especially trying slapstick and making them all erupt in laughter.

It was also the first time I saw a Buddhist funeral and every part was explained. Especially the part about cremation. It was eye opening and had always stuck with me. Obviously Buddhism has reincarnation as an integral part but the grief that his family had was palpable. Afterwards we went to the girls house. Literally a tin shack but her mother was so house proud and showed me around. I always remember how welcome I felt. There was a river flowing behind the house and we spent an hour swimming and jumping off the tree into the water. I never had as much fun in Thailand and reminded me that it’s not all about parties.

Afterward about 10 of the family and I went to the beach and had a picnic. I will never forget how generous everyone was. I tried to pay but every time it was refused. A neighbor sat me down and then asked about intentions. Unfortunately it did t work out for a number of reasons but we remain close friends (most of the time). I will never forget it and wish meeting family was always as easy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    My biggest apprehension about meeting the family was whether they had a sqaut dunny 555.
    A squat toilet is far more nature position. 555

it's the reason hemorrhoids are such a big problem in the west, (excluding diet)

Other than that it was a breeze. Bought some steak and cooked it on the charcoal bbq... it was tender, juicy and some of the best I'd done. They had never had it before.

That being said, I in-stored a western toilet for my in laws due to the squatting issue and old age.
    Last edited by phaisan; 13th January 2018 at 15:39.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast