The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Meeting your Girls family

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Meeting your Girls family

I know we have touched base on this a little and I will get more help for Noy when I am there but any tips for someone who is meeting the Mother and the rest of the family for the first time in the village? Never hurts to have a head-start on these things.

I am slowly getting the know the Thai Culture bit at a time but there is still a lot I do not know. What things should be avoided so that the family do not loose face and are not offended. I have heard Noy talk about something to do with pointing with your feet but the language barrier came into play then so I don't totally understand. Should I wai when greeting them or is that offensive coming from a Farang?

Also what are some things that could be done to be put in the good books, so to speak or show good face? I understand that bringing a gift is a good practice and have already purchased a few little things. Buying a meal or 2 for the family and close friends of the village is also a thing to do.

Any tips will be great for me and sure it could be useful to other in the future

The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    Wey everyone who is older than you, say Kap everytime food and drink comes.....which will be alot and keep eating.
    Try keep your head lower than her mums dont tower over her mate....hard for you being a tall bugger.
    Arrive with food and give all the family kids 100 bt each.....a good start.

I was worried about the standing over thing. It is very difficult for me but maybe I should just sit the whole time I am there 555.i am a big guy but I cannot keep up with Noy when it comes to eating... I forgot about the money giving thing, I know I did it when I met the sister in BKK and gave her daughter money, she is such a little cutie

Just bend over and make the attempt will be enough..keep your feet away from food when sitting around eating.
    Smile.
    You will have a ball and it will be relaxed as...they may have a hammock if your lucky Mrs Ws family set me one up when they know we are coming.555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Just bend over and make the attempt will be enough..keep your feet away from food when sitting around eating.
    Smile.
    You will have a ball and it will be relaxed as...they may have a hammock if your lucky Mrs Ws family set me one up when they know we are coming.555
    I am real excited to go, but wanna make a good first impression, Just found out that after I leave Udon Thani, Noy's mum will be going to BKK to stay with the sister mentioned above to have some time away from the "Ba Maak" husband. As I am finishing my trip at the sisters house I will have the 2 opportunities to impress the mum.

As for the hammock, I am not sure if there will be one but I know they just set up a room for Noy and me for when I get there so we can have some privacy. Generally they all sleep together in the one room, which I am sure is common in Thailand.

We always sleep same room never a prob for a few nights. Diff for you as you will prob want to maximize your opertunities.555555
    Hopefully there will be a dam or a lake near by...always good places to eat on or near the water.

Condo photos of the floating resturant you went to would be cool

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Take something Australian, I gave Thips mum a heap of Aussie tourist crap like a Boomerang and Koala.. I also took a picture book that I could show the family where I was taking Thip.... I also took pictures of my family which were popular especially the ones of the kids!...
    Gold Aussie coins are good for the kids as well as some chocolate or lollies..... but money for Mum will be expected (negotiate this with Noy) at the end of your visit, you will find that it will probably be discussed a fair bit around you by family and friends, so it might be best to get this conversation on the go early in the piece so that Noys mum will already be aware of whats coming her way!....
    Just be yourself, try to respect their customs and traditions... you will find that they will understand if you do the wrong thing, but then again Thips mum still mentions me touching her on the back of the head from my first visit!!!

I have no issues going to 2 nights with no Boom Boom, I may need a break after the 3 nights in BKK from what she is telling me 555.

I got the boomerang already for the mother and grandmother(will also buy something in LOS for them), Some Aussie stuffed toys for the kids. I like the idea of photos as well so i will get snapping and print some off for them to keep. We have talked about money for the mum already so that is on the cards.

I am worried due to my size and tattoo's, facial hair etc that they are all going to be scared of me, so I have to let them know there is nothing to be scared of early in the visit so everyone can relax and enjoy each others company for the short time I am there.

^ Could be worse mate big full face tatts like in Once were warriors.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I am worried due to my size and tattoo's, facial hair etc that they are all going to be scared of me, so I have to let them know there is nothing to be scared of early in the visit so everyone can relax and enjoy each others company for the short time I am there.
    Go in and show them your sensitive side.... pretend to break a nail and shed some tears 55555

Only joking mate... you'll be right once your there!

^ Could be worse mate big full face tatts like in Once were warriors.
    Stuff that, I have a lot of respect for guys with facial tattoo's, would never get one myself but I know it would hurt like hell, and most (like in Once were Warriors) are the Traditionally Bamboo tattoos and I can imagine they would hurt that much more

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Go in and show them your sensitive side.... pretend to break a nail and shed some tears 55555

Only joking mate... you'll be right once your there!
    555, I will shed a tear and not be accepted into the family lol. "Noy, Your BF is a girl" 555. I am a little scary looking I will admit, but most people that get to know me know very quickly I am just a gentle Giant (just don't piss me off 555)

I am also told I will be doing a "welcome to the family" ceremony when I get there. Noy said something about the grandmother and mother giving my white string/bands to put around my wrists, so that should be interesting. I did mention that I was worried that this ceremony sounds like something you do when you get engaged/married and she re-assured me was just to welcome be as a BF 555

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Just be yourself G4orce. Don't stress! It's easier than you think. And it works both ways... they will be worried about meeting you as well! I could sense everyone was nervous around me when I went. But once you start laughing and joking with them (even via sign language) then you'll be welcomed with open arms. A smile to anyone and everyone goes a long way...
    G4orce likes this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Just be yourself G4orce. Don't stress! It's easier than you think. And it works both ways... they will be worried about meeting you as well! I could sense everyone was nervous around me when I went. But once you start laughing and joking with them (even via sign language) then you'll be welcomed with open arms. A smile to anyone and everyone goes a long way...
    Get drunk with the male members of the family and eat crazy raw beef salad.
    Tell complicated jokes and get Noi to translate.......he he maybe not the last bit.

It is amazing how much you can get across with "Sign Language". I can do smiling, that come naturally when I am nervous 555

Get drunk with the male members of the family and eat crazy raw beef salad.
    Tell complicated jokes and get Noi to translate.......he he maybe not the last bit.
    can't let the step-dad get to drunk though, I do not want to be running from him as he chases me with a knife :S 555

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    can't let the step-dad get to drunk though, I do not want to be running from him as he chases me with a knife :S 555
    You could dress up as Rambo and turn up with an AK47... just so he knows who is boss... but remember to smile! 555.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

You could dress up as Rambo and turn up with an AK47... just so he knows who is boss... but remember to smile! 555.
    The Smiling Assassin 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Ok,
    You will Whey, and say swardie Krap, to all you are introduced to.( adults, and kids)

Noy, will be like a boadyguard, she will show you how to act. What to do. Where to be.

Don't be suprised, or react, if they come and feel you, your size, and fitness, will be a suprise for them.
    Especially if you have Tat's.

But as soon as you show them yourself, they will all accept, and love you. Have fun with the kids, is the quickest way.
    Buy some toys, cheap over there, guns, helecoptor's and doll houses for the girls. All up a couple 1,000 bart.

Just be yourself, Happy and you will find it comes back 10 fold

Toys are the way to a kids heart, I learnt that last trip, even the cheapest, ****tiest toys were loved. Kids just love to be given things lol. I am used to the touchs and poking by now. I usually get the belly rub "Oh Buddha" 555 or "can I touch your fat". Sounds funny but in BKK at the sisters house I had so much fun with the kids, I guess because they were still young and could bearly talk as well so i felt like i could relate to them and communicate through other means.
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast