Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatongBeachBoy

Thread: Thai from the basics

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Thai from the basics

I would appreciate thoughts and input please.

All going well romantically and financially the 5 year plan is to be living almost 50 / 50 in Australia and Thailand, Issan to be more specific. I have already started some business relationships in Thailand. It will not be huge as I never want to employ people there. (Sugar and farming practice not the other crop we all like) Should produce income enough to take care of my Thai family.

You all know what I mean.

If I am going to spend 50% of my time there I want to put my Language where my mouth is.

The if you live here at least speak the Language. The desire is to be Fluent. Meaning reading, writing and getting the tones correct through my accent. I have learnt so far that unless I will start from the ground up this will be difficult. I spent 1 year living in Germany and knew I was fluent when I started to dream in German.

I have already started with the Thai Same same (much to the amusement of the loved one) Spot jumps over the log. Grade one, Kindergarten but without the luxury of already speaking the language. Do not get me wrong I have picked up enough to be slapped a few times. None the less get my point across with the Tesco girl and once the men in brown.

Has anyone tried to start from scratch? German for me was easy because it is more logical then English and has the same letters and numbers apart from a few I do have to say I was more youthful when learning as well.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I am starting from scratch. Picked up a lot of day to day expressions,
    Pai Leow, Leow Leow, Seng pet, Nid Noy, Hasip hasip, Kin kow, mai/jai, maow mak, etc and numbers Nung, som, sam, si, ha, hok, chet, pet, kow, sip. memorized frontward and backwards, but not making a lot of progress because anything written in Thai is a barrier to understanding for me.

My strong point used to be languages in school but unfortunately only the romantic ones (English French German Italian Spanish and a good grounding in Latin) none of which is worth diddly if you are trying to learn Thai.

Quite enjoy watching the Filipino news in Tagalog and figuring out what is going on quite well because it always seems to be interspersed with english words and expressions. Bought a translator this year but it is very limited in words and expressions.

Mrs C however is moving ahead with english in leaps and bounds no thanks to me "Looka that plonker..."...555.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    For me personally I found that with anything that I learnt through out the years, the ones that I excelled in were the things that I realised were important to me...
    I think once you realise the importance Thai language will hold for you, you will find it easier to be diligent in your studies. Its not to hard to learn the essentials and to be able to get by with them, but to be able to hold a conversation and express your opinions are another thing...
    I always wondered about the dreaming in another language scenario!

And C1, German would have to be one of the most aggressive sounding languages on the planet.... far from romantic!! 555
    wabbits likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Changone. Thanks for the response. I have looked back over videos and such and found the voice on there is speaking Thai English. Even at home with the Lovely. Hard to stop. I'm comfortable with many of the phonetic Thai words. Speak to get buy or By and fluent is very different.

My little treasure and her family has shown that much embarrassment that they can not speak much English. It has been explained as a Language for only for the Thai elite. And Bar girls!!!!!
    So you agree that we need to start from scratch. If you learn the script it will help so much for the tone???? Mrs C??

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I will be joining he ranks of starting from scratch and i am sure i will be a source of amusement.5555
    But from all accounts seems the only way.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Changone. Thanks for the response. I have looked back over videos and such and found the voice on there is speaking Thai English. Even at home with the Lovely. Hard to stop. I'm comfortable with many of the phonetic Thai words. Speak to get buy or By and fluent is very different.

My little treasure and her family has shown that much embarrassment that they can not speak much English. It has been explained as a Language for only for the Thai elite. And Bar girls!!!!!
    So you agree that we need to start from scratch. If you learn the script it will help so much for the tone???? Mrs C??
    Yes it's definitely start from scratch for me.
    Mrs C is up for teaching script but wants to improve her english a bit more first and also says it will work much better when we stay in Thailand, as things learned and not used get forgotten quite quickly. I'm still trying to remember and pronounce the name of the noodle soup she made me today.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?