Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PatongBeachBoy
  • 1 Post By PatongBeachBoy
  • 1 Post By Sydney

Thread: Buddha Shelf

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar

Buddha Shelf

Well I thought I'd take the opportunity while Thip was away to install her Buddha Shelf..
    For those who don't know what I'm talking about it's the shelf you find within a buddhists house that is a mini shrine where offerings and prayers can be made... You will find offering of flowers and fruit with many pictures of Buddha and even the King..

There are unwritten rules on where this shelf should be located and at what height it should be placed... It would be sacrilege to place it in the toilet or the wash room..
    I spent a fair bit time looking and thinking about where ours should be placed, you have to consider the height as it should be placed higher than my head but with consideration to the fact that incense will be burnt and they dont burn down the house!!...

I was at a friends house the other night and theirs is placed within their dining/kitchen area, I decided that this was probably a good place for ours as the ceilings were a cathederal ceiling there... I fashioned up a couple of brackets out of timber and painted a board and mounted it... Gave Buddha his new home with all the other pieces that Thip has in her shrine and gave myself a pat on the back.... As it turns out I was a bit premature!!
    I got on skype and called Thip to tell her I had set up her Buddha shelf, she was over the moon... "show me show me, where you put??", I spun the PC around so she could see where it was "NOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD.... WHY YOU PUT THERE?, YOU MUST TAKE DOWN!!"..... I asked her where she wanted it but she couldn't decide...
    Condo likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    5555555555nooooooo goooood not there.5555
    But where....not sure.
    That is so Thai.
    You will prob have to wait till she gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    5555555555nooooooo goooood not there.5555
    But where....not sure.
    That is so Thai.
    You will prob have to wait till she gets here.
    Your right Wabs.... spoke to my mate about it and he had to move his seven times before she was happy.... went back in the same screw holes that he made with the first position! 5555
    contrarian likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Reading your post PBB i just asked JK if she wants a Buddha Shelf.....she tells me if she has a Buddha shelf then she must look after it every week with new flowers, incense and offerings of food....if you don't do this every week then its bad to have the Buddha shelf and you are better off not having one.....looks like i get out of having to move the shelf 7 times......555555555
    PatongBeachBoy likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    We have a Buddha shelf and it's my job to top up the liquid offerings.
    Can't do that if i've had a few myself though.
    Last time we went to Thailand, she says. Oh forgot to get candle...
    I found out she means one of those electric flickering ones.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Don't get me started on the spirit house!!!

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    I'm sure my other half would move a shelf seven times for me.... not!
    Great story, wonder where the shelf will end up.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Noy has told me that Buddha has to be facing where the sun rises from, that could help you out. and has to be up high, that is about all I know on this topic...for now. Will will be getting one at some stage but for now the bookshelf is doing the job right. I was alway curious to know why do they put red liquid with it? I understand the yellow and white flowers but how is red brought into it? I asked noy and she did not know the answer to that either but said you had to do it...

I think its more important that it doesn't face the setting sun than the rising sun.... more situated in relation to the house entrance

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Your right Wabs.... spoke to my mate about it and he had to move his seven times before she was happy.... went back in the same screw holes that he made with the first position! 5555
    Hopefully she has nine lives, as she has one left...555
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton