Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Changone
  • 2 Post By Spot
  • 1 Post By Mick

Thread: Laotion influence in North East Thailand

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Laotion influence in North East Thailand

How would you best describe the Laotion cultural blend in Issan. I have only been into Lao 3 times on day trips.

What do you see.

The language how different would you say Thai / Lao / Issan?

The food.

The customs / Religion.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Isaan language is virtually the same as Lao.
    In the 18th century Lao people were forced to resettle in Isaan.
    The borders with Thailand were later redrawn by the Colonial French, further complicating matters.
    There are about 21 million Isaan and only 7 million Lao.
    The ethnic and cultural background is comparable in lowland Laos, but other racial groups in Laos wouldn't have it that way. Similar treatment as in other parts of Thailand really.
    Spot likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Laos has about 50 ethnic groups, and 40 languages in a population of 5-6 million people.

Many Issan people are ethnically Lao, so language, food and customs are fairly similar to the Lao people in Laos, who are (of course) the dominant ethnic group there. However I noticed a softness in the language and nature of the people there compared to the Issan people.

Was speaking to a girl from Udan Thani a couple of days ago. I said about the Lao influence to her... and she got very mad... and said why people think this? We not Lao... we nothing like Lao... we Isaan...

Must have touched a nerve... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Was speaking to a girl from Udan Thani a couple of days ago. I said about the Lao influence to her... and she got very mad... and said why people think this? We not Lao... we nothing like Lao... we Isaan...

Must have touched a nerve... 555

I am really trying to understand this. I get the same reaction. Racial / tribal.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    I am really trying to understand this. I get the same reaction. Racial / tribal.
    Same as Canadian or American....
    Patriotism!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Same as Canadian or American....
    Patriotism!
    Actually when someone asks if I am Australian... I always say... "Why people think this? I sound nothing like an Australian... we are as different as... as.. something different" ...555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Well my 2 bahts worth, when I stumble over Thai langauge Vs Isaan Language with my Isaan Family here and in Isaan, they have a reverse discrimintaion. Sick to death of being branded as a brown skin Monkey and hillbilles from Isaan By BKK Hi So.

They encourage my Lao language as identifying themselves as different and proudly so from the Hi So.

My interview with a High Monk - LLama???? on a mountain In Isaan gave an explanation of "Isaan meaning a high spiritual region and people", so a Budhist and traditional Hi so.

Hence some of you may have experienced a cultural cringe from Isaan Lao people doing oK but not wanting to be grouped into the Brown Skin monkey set ...
    Changone and Mick like this.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    We sometimes get "New Zealand influence" here in Australia.
    When mistaken for kiwis we usually arc up a bit....5555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    We sometimes get "New Zealand influence" here in Australia.
    When mistaken for kiwis we usually arc up a bit....5555
    Kiwi's? Shut up Spot! Shut Up! Shut up! Don't do it!!!!! 555555555
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Kiwi's? Shut up Spot! Shut Up! Shut up! Don't do it!!!!! 555555555
    Actually I always thought of the South Island as more British than Britain, Hi So definitely Obvious, Might have been the company i kept in the North Island but way more laid back except for the Hi So in Auckland.

Saying that we Prictorians are begrudged in the northern States, When I first went to work in Kosciusko NP doing fire management for the region they called me a "know it all wet back" for the first couple of months until I proved myself to all of them in the Sydney 94 Bushfires.

When i got to state level in QLD i got attitude from the QFRA saying that Qld is different to NSW and they didn't need a ****roach telling them how to do thier jobs.

I took a demotion back into a uniform and went back into NSW. Guess what? FKN Banana Bender catch up with us we are the best..

What a load of crap, I'm over it. I take everyone on face value and detest Hi So attitude..

So sorry lost the plot and went off topic?
    Last edited by Spot; 13th May 2012 at 10:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Well my 2 bahts worth, when I stumble over Thai langauge Vs Isaan Language with my Isaan Family here and in Isaan, they have a reverse discrimintaion. Sick to death of being branded as a brown skin Monkey and hillbilles from Isaan By BKK Hi So.

They encourage my Lao language as identifying themselves as different and proudly so from the Hi So.

My interview with a High Monk - LLama???? on a mountain In Isaan gave an explanation of "Isaan meaning a high spiritual region and people", so a Budhist and traditional Hi so.

Hence some of you may have experienced a cultural cringe from Isaan Lao people doing oK but not wanting to be grouped into the Brown Skin monkey set ...
    After a month or so of language and cultural training in Singburi I went to live and work in Issan. It was more than a year before I returned to Bangkok, which I did with some misgivings. Life was ok where I was living, some 27 km from town, next to a forest covered hill, without electricity, and 10 km from the nearest telephone. My Thai developed quite quickly, with Issan influence. My main co-worker was from Bangkok, but the people we worked with were a mixture of Thai speakers to the south, and Issan speakers to the North

When I did return to the big smoke I went shopping in Central. I spoke in Thai when I made my purchase and the cashier giggled to her mate "Eeeee, Farang ban nok" (roughly translated as "hillbilly farang").
    Last edited by Mick; 13th May 2012 at 21:04.
    PatongBeachBoy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    There are TWO other cultural influences in Isaan, Lao and Khmer (in the South of Isaan around Buriram, Surin, Sisaket, Prasat etc.). I used to meet alot of girls from Udon & Khon Kaen etc. and would endear myself to them by singing Poifai songs (a popular Isaan vocalist who sings in Lao). Last year or so I've been seeing more girls from Southern Isaan (like Surin), they either don't like or have never heard of Poifai, because he doesn't sing in their dialect as they speak Thai and Khmer, so really there are two Isaans, one that is very little influenced by Laotian culture at all.