Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Addressing friends and sometimes family

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar

Addressing friends and sometimes family

With Chob on board and everyone in the language mood I thought I would raise the subject.
    I have noticed between a group of girls they may refer to one another as E-(name) eg. E-Puy.
    Is this considered insulting?
    Is this subject to been female or male? (I understood E was for females, I(Eye) for males but now i read they may just may have different strengths)

From what i read;

'I' pronunced 'EYE' obviously, is often used as a very informal way of addressing friends and sometimes family:

I (name) = Bloody (name) but in an extremely light hearted way. No malice is intended whatsoever.

E (name) = F@cking (name), sometimes this can be used both derogatively and again in jest, but is ten times stronger than I. Use it with caution, if at all.
    Last edited by G4orce; 24th May 2012 at 22:25. Reason: language

"Pi" seems to be used a lot as well.. often in conjunction with "sister" even though addressing a friend...?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

pee - a title for an elder person from a younger. The whole pee/nong thing is tied up in the Thai system of family and social standing. Age is one of the major factors in social standing. Elders should be respected. Foreigners are generally outside this social status table and are almost never referred to as 'pee'. However you will hear Thais use it between themselves. Younger siblings refer to elder siblings as 'pee'. Even beyond family relations, younger people may refer to elders as 'pee'.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    pee - a title for an elder person from a younger. The whole pee/nong thing is tied up in the Thai system of family and social standing. Age is one of the major factors in social standing. Elders should be respected. Foreigners are generally outside this social status table and are almost never referred to as 'pee'. However you will hear Thais use it between themselves. Younger siblings refer to elder siblings as 'pee'. Even beyond family relations, younger people may refer to elders as 'pee'.
    My ex TG would talk to many friends on FB saying Pi-Noy or Pi-Sister or Pi-Puy... no matter if older or younger than her. I kept meaning to ask her if there was any differentiation...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    My ex TG would talk to many friends on FB saying Pi-Noy or Pi-Sister or Pi-Puy... no matter if older or younger than her. I kept meaning to ask her if there was any differentiation...
    As QS said... it's only used for someone older than you....
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Cadet silver
    My wife is the same. She refers to her close friends as Pee....., I mean those of her age too, not only those older. The only time she doesn't use Pee is if she is talking to a child or someone obviously a few years younger than herself, then it becomes nong....

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    My wife is the same. She refers to her close friends as Pee....., I mean those of her age too, not only those older. The only time she doesn't use Pee is if she is talking to a child or someone obviously a few years younger than herself, then it becomes nong....
    That's my experience as well... the girls she calls Pi... some are a year or two older... and some a year or two younger... and yes... nong if much younger...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Since my tg is older than most of her friends , she gets the 'pee' tacked on before her name.
    As it rhymes with her name , she gets it most times , as Thais like rhyme.

She rarely speaks 'nong' to any lady , except if its someone up to about 18 or so , or someone clearly young when she doesnt know them or their name.
    Its acceptable to call a younger service person Nong ( kup), in fact that is what I was taught to call any waiter , waitress, driver , or room service person.
    NE says , she only occasionally calls friends 'I' . I have never noticed her do so , but an old gf did ( Issanese).

Are E or I insulting?

And naa is another one... seem's to be used a fair bit to end a sentence to a friend.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    And naa is another one... seem's to be used a fair bit to end a sentence to a friend.
    I've always thought that 'naa' was similar to some English speakers putting 'eh' or 'but' on the end of a sentence.

I could be wrong but, eh bro.

'Naa' means 'next' but I dont know if thats it...

I get everything with a Naaa on the end of it.... "Love you naa", "what you think naa?" "No good naa!"....
    And another used in a similar manner is Loy....

Isn't it made to 'soften' the sentence or did I dream that up?

Yeh, I think youre right quicky.
    The formal way to 'soften' a request is by 'kaw' and 'noi'.

As I was saying to Kap'n Rob , the rough ol' South people just say 'Ow' ( take) this and 'Ow' that....
    ...eg "Ow naam plow ( drinking water) kaaarpp". Good enough and polite enough for them.

But a Bkk local would consider this base. "Kaw naam plow noi krap", or 'May I have water a little' would be much nicer.
    Except for dialectical differences , Chiang Mai people are generally considered the most polite if a little old fashioned.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    This is great!! except it's starting to make my head hurt and my tounge tired trying to pronounce them all 5555

I will have to come back and re read over and over.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Cadet silver
    I get everything with a Naaa on the end of it
    Same here.....and another similar thing is "jaa" but I think thats mainly used by females, again to soften "watdee jaaa"...or sometimes if I call my wifes name she will simply use it to answer.....eg "jaaa" (yes)

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Same here.....and another similar thing is "jaa" but I think thats mainly used by females, again to soften "watdee jaaa"...or sometimes if I call my wifes name she will simply use it to answer.....eg "jaaa" (yes)
    Yes I've heard this used alot in phone conversation..."jaaaaa,ja jaa... jaaaa, jaaa sawadee jaa ja jaaa...."
    Almost like "yeah, I know, I know... yes, goodbye yes yeah yeah"

Yes , used in Korat all the time.
    "Jaa" is only used with a wai to a statue or picture down here ....

In Bkk Thai it means 'will' or 'I will.'