Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Tips For Travelling In Bangkok, Thailand

culture boy

Tips For Travelling In Bangkok, Thailand

A few tips to make getting around Thailand and essentially Bangkok just that little bit easier.

More...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I find now, when staying in BKK I book a hotel near the BTS.... then metered taxi's from the BTS, I have even done the motorbike taxi's a couple of times... Like the OP say's give the Tuk Tuk a miss unless your travelling with a local, you will tend to be charged more than the metered taxi while sucking in the nice pollution....
    The BTS is great, especially for going across town.. if you can travel out of the peak times you can get a seat in airconditioned comfort for a very cheap price... can also be used to and from the airport, but once again stay clear of peak especially with suitcases

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Tuk tuk once to say you done it but other than that give me a taxi.
    So right if your on the BTS will take care of your needs in that part of the city
    The trip to MBK etc.
    I like soi 22 to 26 area the best as i know it and can always find a good feed.
    Open to trying recomended hotels in this area.

I stay in Silom... usually close to all my needs... I found the Heritage Hotel last time and was very happy....
    I'll do a review in the accom section

We stayed soi 4 last trip Warabori not sure if thats how you spell it?
    Anyway was ok........ will i stay there again? NO was full of arab types with big voices many to a room and noise at 3am...
    And toooo far down the soi. 1 star out of 5.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    We stayed soi 4 last trip Warabori not sure if thats how you spell it?
    Anyway was ok........ will i stay there again? NO was full of arab types with big voices many to a room and noise at 3am...
    And toooo far down the soi. 1 star out of 5.
    Woraburi....no arabs when I stayed there....but agreed, too damn far down the Soi. Never again - rotten location.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Woraburi....no arabs when I stayed there....but agreed, too damn far down the Soi. Never again - rotten location.
    Not far enough to get a taxi to Sukumvit but too far to walk 5555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Not far enough to get a taxi to Sukumvit but too far to walk 5555
    My travel tip for travel in Bangkok is never take a taxi that is sitting around waiting - flag down the guy who is out there driving around doing his job.

Now a story to counter my own advice grin.ner

Bad memories -sort of - from Woraburi.

Checked out and was running a little late for my flight out, so just grabbed a taxi who was waiting outside.

No meter - agreed price malarky - at 300 baht I am paying about 100 over the odds but I am in a hurry and there are no passing taxis at the north pole end of the soi at that time of the day.

Pulling up outside the old Don Muang international, with minimal time to check in and I realise I have left my passport and travel documents in the safe at reception.
    (Yes, I forgot but they didn't ask me when I checked out either )

My life and termination from my new job flash before my eyes as I realise I am probably going to miss my flight home to Oz.

Frantic calls to Thai airways as we head back down the expressway - they can get me on another flight - IN 3 DAYS TIME

Thank God the taxi driver turned out to be pure gold (and a speedster worthy to be Fangio's bastard son). Soi 4 to Airport to Soi 4 and back to airport in record time thru every short cut and side alley in the area - I paid him a 1000 for his low flying efforts and thought it a bargain as I settled onto that flight and ever since.

Enjoy

Oh; in light of that post I guess my other travel tip would be: Always allow plenty of time to get to the airport and check in - instead of taking one last quickie with that LT BG.

Enjoy

so the travel tip was..... always have a wallet full in case some palms need greasing! 555

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    so the travel tip was..... always have a wallet full in case some palms need greasing! 555
    Actually, that tip probably belongs as a sticky at the top of the "General" section in bold print, a large font and underlined with stars at either end.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Actually, that tip probably belongs as a sticky at the top of the "General" section in bold print, a large font and underlined with stars at either end.
    55555 yes am hearing you..

Oh; in light of that post I guess my other travel tip would be: Always allow plenty of time to get to the airport and check in - instead of taking one last quickie with that LT BG.

Enjoy
    I used to stay at the Woraburi a few years ago... because I knew no better!!! 555. What a dump. I usually stay at the Aspen Suites if in the Soi 2/ Soi 4 area... lovely place. The Woraburi just feels dirty in comparison. As for location... I don't mind the ten minute walk to the Suk. Usually convinces me to grab a soapie at Annies... 555

Nowadays when in Bangkok I prefer staying in the Soi 23 to 26 area between Soi Cowboy and Emporium.

Speaking of which... a few years ago, I checked in at the airport... and as I had 3 hours till my flight, decided I had enough time for a taxi back to Annies for a 2 hour session and a taxi back to the airport... I made the plane for last call... 555