Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Intensive Thai language courses (residential)?

Intensive Thai language courses (residential)?

So I've pretty much decided to learn Thai and, having the time (mostly), I'd like to start of with some form of fairly intensive course (e.g. several hours a day v few hours a week).

I contemplated doing it in Hat Yai or Songkhla given that they're just a few hours drive but, being a regular working Thai city with little by way of Western visitors, Thai courses don't seem to exist. So it looks like further afield it will have to be. Obviously Phuket is an option, as is Pattaya and Bangkok (BKK congestion makes it less appealing) or even places like Chiang Mai.

Phuket is easy as it's just a one hour flight from Penang and I've been having a browse around a few sites (the names escape me now). Just wondering if anyone has any experience of any of the schools in any of the places mentioned? What I don't want is something that's been set up more as a holiday gimmick, teaching a few basic phrases a few hours a week while you holiday the rest of the time.

As I go back and forth to Thailand a lot I'm also contemplating doing the retirement visa or, initially, I may even do Ed while I'm doing the course wherever.

Residential wise it doesn't have to be on the school premises as I'd probably look to rent a reasonable apartment and may look to do the course(s) in low seasons to get the rates down.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Patong Language School in North Patong seems well regarded for both Farangs and Thais - and it is not easy.

There are several on here who have done this - I'll let them comment.

Tks. I'll have a look at PLS when I'm there next week. Maybe see if I can pick up couple of their books.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
    Tks. I'll have a look at PLS when I'm there next week. Maybe see if I can pick up couple of their books.
    Chat me up before you do, I think I still have a few of their books kicking around.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

I studied full time at AUA in bkk in 89-90..It's not for everyone..they teach English here using the 'natural approach'. first developed by that famous and cunning linguist Marvin Brown

The natural approach attempts to copy the learning experience of a child when he/she learns his/her native language.

Students enrol in 4-5 week semesters into graded courses.

Courses cover various topics such as history, current events, culture, Conversation, fun, law. Etc..
    So you have culture 1, 2 3 etc.

Initially the students sit and listen only to 1 or 2 Thai teachers talking to each other in Thai. They sometimes ask the students questions and the student can answer in their own language. The conversation is very basic and the early classes are made to be sanook. Ideally the student should not talk Thai for 6 months even when away from school, so that he can hear the rhythm and song of the natural spoken thai . Then later subjects get more complicated, students are encouraged to talk and reading writing begins to be taught.

More next post

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Chat me up before you do, I think I still have a few of their books kicking around.
    Ah. Ok. Cheers. I'll chat to you first then visit PLS for a look-see. I might have an option in Hat Yai now as a school here has a English / Thai local teacher. That might suit more. Property rental a damn site cheaper too. Easier to drive home occasionally to and a couple of my chums here will be much happier 555

@BKKSteve. Thanks. Hmmmm. Not sure that'd be for me. Prefer the more traditional methods I think (e.g. the way I was taught in school). BKK would be do-able but a last resort really. Bit too much hassle but ok if all else fails.