Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: My first trip to the village

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

My first trip to the village

Well in a few weeks Im off to Yasothon just out of Ubon Ratchathani to meet the family. Will be hiring a car and drive from Ubon to her home town.

This is my first trip to the home town and meeting the family. Don't really know what to expect I have never done this before.

Her sister and her Australian husband will be there to so I will have someone to talk English with.

How long should we stay? My GF said a few days I sort of thought we should stay longer she has not seen her family or her son for a few months now.

Any advise would be great.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Avoid having string tied around your wrists at all costs
    wabbits, Gazmac, Changone and 1 others like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    But I like that sort of stuff. 5555

Posted twice.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Ozzy I will leave it to the more experience BM's to advise you. There are some of the TR's of various BM's on here that have revelations of the Village trips, one comes to mind is Spot's TR.

The only thing I would say is be guided by your TG. If she says 3 days then go with it, and remember things are fluid over there, if she decides you should stay longer she will make it clear.
    Likewise with meeting family and friends, relatives etc she will guide you as to who is who. What to do.

Are you going to be staying in a motel or at the family home?
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Where's the LIKE Button !!! 55555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Yes we are staying in a hotel apparently up the road from the house.

Yes we are staying in a hotel apparently up the road from the house.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Deepest darkest Isaan brekky secret...toasted ham and cheese sanga or croissant,juice and/or coffee from the nearest 7/11.
    Changone, kaptainrob and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Suttoh is the man to ask for advice on this... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    To be honest
    Just be yourself.....from your posts you come off as a good guy and a gentleman....And that is more than enough
    I quite enjoyed that I was able to see a whole new place like a rice village but beyond that it wasnt any different than going to any other girl's family house and meeting family for the 1st time

Actually the only advice i would give is be prepared for a lot of down time......That is one thing i cant get used to. Thais can sit around and do Fcuk all in the village and be fine with it. So bring some reading material
    OZZYGUY likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Suttoh is the man to ask for advice on this... 55
    If your aim is sartorial splendour...Here he is with the fashion police...555

Last edited by Changone; 25th June 2014 at 16:05.
    Quarky likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I just spent some time in Isaan (Khon Kaen & Kalasin), I think a few days is more than enough, though of course depends on what you wanna do.

Whatever you do, just make sure you spend the night in the hotel. Past 730-800pm, there is absolutely nothing to do in the village, and if you're in THE house, there is REALLY nothing to do. I guess some guys think it is okay to sit and try to communicate with the family and all and sundry hangers-on, but believe me, this is BORING after one night. THREE DAYS ABSOLUTE MAX!.
    Bawdy likes this.
    I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Deepest darkest Isaan brekky secret...toasted ham and cheese sanga or croissant,juice and/or coffee from the nearest 7/11.
    Nahhh M150 poured over ice followed by one of those 3 in 1 coffees followed by pad kra pow gai best start you can have.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    One egg or two...555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Whatever you do, just make sure you spend the night in the hotel. Past 730-800pm, there is absolutely nothing to do in the village, and if you're in THE house, there is REALLY nothing to do. I guess some guys think it is okay to sit and try to communicate with the family and all and sundry hangers-on, but believe me, this is BORING after one night. THREE DAYS ABSOLUTE MAX!.
    Never ever stayed in a hotel always stayed in village cold Leo poured over ice sure never found it boring though early on was a bit frustrating at times due to communication now that I know what to expect I'm prepared.
    Things you need.
    Mozzie spray the little ones you can get from 7 11
    iPad with books movies and music
    Blue tooth speaker as there is something special about listening to Led Zep on a still isaan night.
    A music service if you have wifi handy as we do.
    Hammock and a fold out chair
    Fishing rod
    Know the attractions close by .

For me it's not so different from being at home but with cold showers and a squat loo but.5555
    We sit around have few drinks adjourn inside to watch TV of get on the Internet etc.

Things to remember
    When everyone is sitting eating and you have to walk past try and sort of crouch as you go past.
    Don't sit on pillows.
    Look stoic.55555
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Well, that is why it is hard to give advice because night time is when we had no problems.......every situation is different
    I was fortunate that both Ao's aunts, her Uncle and a lot of her friends speak English
    So at night we all sit around, drink and laugh all night
    Plus her village is only 20 minutes from Singburi so have restaurants, Thai Discos

I was just commenting on the cultural aspect before. I think people make more of a big deal about the culture aspect than need to be.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Never ever stayed in a hotel always stayed in village cold Leo poured over ice sure never found it boring though early on was a bit frustrating at times due to communication now that I know what to expect I'm prepared.
    Things you need.
    Mozzie spray the little ones you can get from 7 11
    iPad with books movies and music
    Blue tooth speaker as there is something special about listening to Led Zep on a still isaan night.
    A music service if you have wifi handy as we do.
    Hammock and a fold out chair
    Fishing rod
    Know the attractions close by .

For me it's not so different from being at home but with cold showers and a squat loo but.5555
    We sit around have few drinks adjourn inside to watch TV of get on the Internet etc.

Things to remember
    When everyone is sitting eating and you have to walk past try and sort of crouch as you go past.
    Don't sit on pillows.
    Look stoic.55555
    Nah - you are the farang - if you want a chair or pillow to sit on -ask for it - even in the temple is OK.
    You are not expected to act like a Thai - let your TG guide you within the limits of your comfort.
    Last edited by Zablive; 26th June 2014 at 00:43.
    Changone likes this.

My 1st visit was just a couple of nights, stayed in a hotel nearby, the next was 6nts at motel that the TGF had sorted THB400/nt, at least it had A/c and wifi but TGF's 9yr daughter stayed for sleep-over at the weekend; 2nd trip stayed there again for 7 nights and daughter with girl cousin stay for weekend sleep-over; at worst I can say I get a bit of a rest from s*x 555 You are lucky Ozzyguy that you have an English speaker and you are not the 1st falang as in my case:-
    Only the TGF speaks English and her shy daughter tries basic school words; with no wi-fy at the baan it can be a trial, except when I play taxi to the many markets which I find facinating. Father seems to understand a lot and has a smile, Mother seldom smiles; there is no big hug greetings between them but I have experienced this in other Asian circles. They seemed to speak in commands to each other and I thought there was tension but it appears not, just more formal sounds than I expected; in the evenings they all waited for me to eat, even the TGF but I refuse and she does a sitting / standing eating and running off to the kitchen trying to serve everyone, daughter thing. On the 2nd trip they got the message that I would not eat alone and with the help of some wine/beer in the evenings things are quite relaxed, fortunately, unlike my other experiences in the Phils, the hangers-on actually leave for bed by 21:30. TGF told me not to show affection by kissing her whilst around the baan, where neighbours would see. Have to agree with all the other above observations, also they love having babies around and dote over them, there is always one turning up on a Honda baby seat.
    Last edited by mechime; 26th June 2014 at 01:59.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast