Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By KRIS-ONE
  • 1 Post By Cippy
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: sentence structure in thai...help

Cadet Gold

sentence structure in thai...help

so i am making my way through the language programme i seem to be picking up the words well enough, now figuring out the order when asked to make a sentence is screwing me up royally along with the placing of the word krap. maybe we can help each other with this and fill in some gaps so far going through my notes.

the use of the word la is added some times when a response is expected from the listener example laew khun la (and you). question why is the la added here but not on the end of sabai dii mai or other questions how will i know when its appropriate to use la.

there are more questions from my notes as the language software lessons progress but lets keep this manageable i am going to now go read chobbs thread see if i cant fill these gaps in my knowledge.

im thinking a large portion of this comes from how i would expect the order of the words to appear in English is just not working and speaking what seems to roll of the tongue nicely just is not going to cut it here either, and as the words have multiple meanings depending on the context they are used possibly unwanted consequences for the wrong order of the right words.

(the language software is spelling things with i instead of e i assume this is deliberate or because the software is american just in-case anyone is wondering why i am using i instead of e)
    Last edited by poseidon; 29th October 2015 at 05:39.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    That's why I couldn't be arsed with any of those transliteration programs. There is no consistency so if you want to refer to another source of info the chances are they are spelling a word differently. Best to learn the Thai alphabet.

วันนี้ อากาศ โคตร ร้อน เลย

wan nee aa gaat khoht raawn leeuy

Translated means it's so fu.cking hot today. Probably best to leave out khot/โคต

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    What's the difference between "nice" and "hot" is your first clue...

Wan = day
    Wan nee = today

Wan nee agaat rawn maak - today the weather is very hot
    Wan agaat rawn maak - day weather is very hot. Doesn't make sense

Cadet Gold
    that's what i thought when the language software said it I will double check the language software in case i made a mistake in my notes.

Cadet Gold
    the importance of not doing things half asleep ive been through twice trying to find it with no success clearly i made a mistake here

Cadet Bronze
    what does it mean when they say "ok ka" , im always getting this message with a girl I know, I know the word "ok" but whats the "ka" word mean?

and yes I m using this app iTranslate but i dont think the structure of the sentence is right, does anybody know a great app for translation?
    Last edited by Bron; 22nd May 2016 at 15:33.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    what does it mean when they say "ok ka" , im always getting this message with a girl I know, I know the word "ok" but whats the "ka" word mean?

and yes I m using this app iTranslate but i dont think the structure of the sentence is right, does anybody know a great app for translation?
    "ka" is a polite particle. She's just showing respect or good manners.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    And if you're a polite man you'll use "khup " at the end of your messages. Sentences etc
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Wan = day
    Wan nee = today
    Also helps me remember my "nee" vs "nan" (this/these vs that/those) as you can read it as "day this"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Haha I know the word ok.. That made me laugh
    Quarky and Bron like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    And if you're a polite man you'll use "khup " at the end of your messages. Sentences etc
    Never quite sure when to add a Kap, besides when it's obvious. 555 When I listen to Thai giving a speech or addressing a group they just seem to be throwing one in ever third sentence or using it as punctuation.

So I just throw them in randomly too. 555. Or use it as an affirmative: "Au Nam Mai? Kap."

I always get a kick listening to the missus on the phone speaking to someone she doesn't know or doing business. Its about all she says: Ka, ok, ka. Ka. Ka. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I always get a kick listening to the missus on the phone speaking to someone she doesn't know or doing business. Its about all she says: Ka, ok, ka. Ka. Ka. 555
    Same watching Thai news, so polite!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Same watching Thai news, so polite!
    we were watching it once and there was a guy replying....urrr!! instead of khup! the GF was outraged 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    ^ That's so Esaan! 555 Go back to Esaan, Bpai! 555
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Never quite sure when to add a Kap, besides when it's obvious. 555 When I listen to Thai giving a speech or addressing a group they just seem to be throwing one in ever third sentence or using it as punctuation.

So I just throw them in randomly too. 555. Or use it as an affirmative: "Au Nam Mai? Kap."

Haha
    So true................seems more Ka's than actual words when my wife is being all business 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Sometimes throw 2 together back to back for good measure. Seems only those on TV seem to do that.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    it does make me laugh when it's one of those old fashioned bullfrog types reading the news....saying a "Krap" at the end of every sentence..makes me think its "fake news"...555
    Quarky likes this.