Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: im so lazy

Cadet Gold

im so lazy

Hi all well as the title says im so lazy ,last trip i said to myself im going to learn thai hahahahahahaha yea right ,here i am with 7 months before return and no as much as i did before .The best i can do is sawadekrap ,kupkunka ,teraika ,sabademai ,goi,and maybe a couple of others .
    i think i better haul my butt into gear and get serious about this as in 2 years i have done nothing , any good suggestions on best way to learn ?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    kikiad..??
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    You might want to start with finding some willpower. After that google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Pimsleur Thai is pretty good. Gets you going in a conversation straight away. But we are similar ages. Learning new things becomes harder especially when its thai words with no frame of reference in the English language.

I find as I learn new words, I forget old ones. Mind you I find that when I'm in Thailand and surrounded by the language I understand more than I thought I would. Whilst I struggle to find the right word to start a conversation , I can often recognise the same word in context when being spoken to.

At the other extreme, some Thai words that I have used for ages. I find I use, without thinking, in my English conversations over here, confusing the hell out of people.

So just keep at it.

Oh and you might want to watch those Ka's. Should be lesson number one

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The more I find out about the Thai language the more intrigued I am.
    Found lots of Thai people who have learned English but are afraid to speak it, even though they know what you are saying.
    Seems to be the converse learning Thai, you can learn it, but if you speak it, you can find yourself in a whole 'nother world of misunderstanding...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    The more I find out about the Thai language the more intrigued I am.
    Found lots of Thai people who have learned English but are afraid to speak it, even though they know what you are saying.
    Seems to be the converse learning Thai, you can learn it, but if you speak it, you can find yourself in a whole 'nother world of misunderstanding...
    I know about 35% Spanish
    I would say English is much less spoken in Central America than Asia.......especially South America

And in Colombia, every one looks like me
    So in Colombia they would just blurt out Spanish to me...........and if I got bold and started speaking Spanish then they'd really blurt it out at 100mph!
    Changone and TLandHim like this.

And I am completely disappointed in myself not knowing Thai after 14 years with my wife........it's unacceptable

At 1st, she needed to learn English, then moved to Vancouver but still no excuse

If you are serious about learning to speak Thai then you need to learn to read and write. Once you know the Thai alphabet and all the additional sounds from the vowels, your reading ability will take off and by extension your speaking. Once you begin to pick up words the sentence structure is more or less the same as English. In fact in some ways it's simpler.

This has multiple practical benefits. Firstly you don't need to rely on transliteration, which at best is fragmented anyway due to no universal system being agreed. i.e. you could see the same word spelt 3 or 4 different ways and this will just slow you down.

You will be able to pick up new words whenver you see Thai script. Road signs and menus will make sense. I learned the Thai alphabet (well most of it) over the course of a weekend and a 18 months later I'm pretty decent in writing and speaking now.

It helps that I have someone I can pratice with daily. In fact most of the time we speak only in Thai unless there's a phrase I don't know so we will switch to English. Having someone to practice with isn't essential but it will help you accelerate things. Now I have a few books which are covering general areas (directions, describing people, food ect...) which are in English, but importantly have Thai script. I can't speak fluently like a native, that will come with time hopefully. But I can say some things and in certain scenarios ask questions or provide answers.

It's the best thing I've come away with from my travels in Thailand. I love speaking Thai with the locals when I'm there. BTW I've never practiced actually writing with a pen. I write using the Thai keyboard on my iPhone. I figure that's as good as writing for me. 5555
    Last edited by supersub; 4th April 2017 at 00:17.
    PeteGill likes this.

Biggest problem to say something well in Thai is the person will think you know it well and come back at you quick fire. Becomes difficult and awkward then.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Biggest problem to say something well in Thai is the person will think you know it well and come back at you quick fire. Becomes difficult and awkward then.

Ah but I always follow it up with สามารถพูดภาษาไทยได้นิดหน่อย 555

I know what you mean though. Just when you think you are getting somewhere you hear something and are like 'wtf did he just say??'

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    This is one thing I never got.......

And I understand the tones and all

But I will say something to my wife(or any other Thais) and get everything correct but one word
    And again, I know a different tone is a different word but if you are one inflection of....... I say "hey" and it should be "heey"
    I don't understand why they can't figure it out

If a non-English speaker speaks to me and gets one word wrong..........I will figure it out what they mean because the one word they got wrong was close
    Rivo and Ian Forbes like this.

They should be able to. Most Thais should recognise Thai is obviously not our native language so will 'cut us some slack'.

There are some good Facebook pages worth following. They offer structured courses for a fee but also give a free word a day. It's usually more than the word though. Some example sentences using that word. At the moment I've got my hands full with some books but as soon as I'm done I might try one of them.

Thai pod 101
    Learn Thai with Mod

Mod is actually not too bad looking either.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I am also lazy, and should have learned more Thai than I have, but I have a bit of an excuse. I'm deaf, and I don't hear all the various tones. 50 years ago I was caught in the middle of a bunch of tree stumps being blown up. I was blown about 20 feet and my back was peppered with bits of wood and debris. Ever since then I have to have a quiet room to hear what people are saying. In Thailand there is hardly ever a quiet room... and certainly not anywhere close to a bar.
    crispy likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    And I am completely disappointed in myself not knowing Thai after 14 years with my wife........it's unacceptable

At 1st, she needed to learn English, then moved to Vancouver but still no excuse
    I am in the same boat after 6 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    crispy likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I am also lazy, and should have learned more Thai than I have, but I have a bit of an excuse. I'm deaf, and I don't hear all the various tones. 50 years ago I was caught in the middle of a bunch of tree stumps being blown up. I was blown about 20 feet and my back was peppered with bits of wood and debris. Ever since then I have to have a quiet room to hear what people are saying. In Thailand there is hardly ever a quiet room... and certainly not anywhere close to a bar.
    Yep... up the front at AC/DC did it to me.
    crispy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    The tonality is one thing that made me give up, oh and the laziness too, don't get me started on the laziness.

YouTube is a great resource though. Plenty of vids teaching Thai. Have a look on there.
    crispy likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I am also lazy after 30+ trips I now about 10 words.

Personaly I cannot see the point of learning another language unless its for work, married to a thai or your there all the time.

Even more lazy my wife is Filipino and I only know two words.....555
    crispy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I am also lazy after 30+ trips I now about 10 words.

Personaly I cannot see the point of learning another language unless its for work, married to a thai or your there all the time.

Even more lazy my wife is Filipino and I only know two words.....555
    On just an average day.....how much English vs Tagalog is spoken in Philippines by locals?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    On just an average day.....how much English vs Tagalog is spoken in Philippines by locals?
    My wife is cebuano its a differant lauguage to Tagalog. Tagolog is the national lauguage and mainly spocken in the north. Cebuano is spocken in the south but people fromt the south speak both.

When they are all together they speak there own lauguage not english.

My 5 year old step son talks Cebuano, Tagalog and english. English is tought here in pre primary and most of the schooling is in english
    crispy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    That's the thing, no point making the effort in most cases beyond everyday pleasantries. I think all our expats on TD speak some reasonable level of Thai. The rest of us have been plodding along just fine with baby English.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast