Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: TG's Worried About Their Lack of English

  1. #1
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617

    TG's Worried About Their Lack of English

    If we are worried about being able to communicate while in LOS, with TG's or just getting around, a recent email response I got from Nui also shows that they worry about their shortcomings in English as well.

    This from her email ....

    "Am sorry and I know Thai it diffecult for you
    same as me that English diffecult for me too. So I think some day you will boring me and want to finish me the finally because we can't make a communication.
    I so scared this.."

    She has said this before, that she is worried I'll get bored and end the relationship because of our inability to communicate easily.

    Anyone else discover TG's that had this fear?

    BTW ... if any of you are curious ... that is Nui in my Avatar ... a rather saucy pic she sent me from her hometown.

  2. #2
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    If we are worried about being able to communicate while in LOS, with TG's or just getting around, a recent email response I got from Nui also shows that they worry about their shortcomings in English as well.

    This from her email ....

    "Am sorry and I know Thai it diffecult for you
    same as me that English diffecult for me too. So I think some day you will boring me and want to finish me the finally because we can't make a communication.
    I so scared this.."

    She has said this before, that she is worried I'll get bored and end the relationship because of our inability to communicate easily.

    Anyone else discover TG's that had this fear?

    BTW ... if any of you are curious ... that is Nui in my Avatar ... a rather saucy pic she sent me from her hometown.
    Insecurities will show up in different ways, big thing is they feel that we as men will get bored and move on.

    Language is not a problem as you go on as each couple develops their own style of Tinglish only way i can describe it.

    The longer together the more intuitive and easier it becomes...beware the misunderstandings...55555
    .

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    If we are worried about being able to communicate while in LOS, with TG's or just getting around, a recent email response I got from Nui also shows that they worry about their shortcomings in English as well.

    This from her email ....

    "Am sorry and I know Thai it diffecult for you
    same as me that English diffecult for me too. So I think some day you will boring me and want to finish me the finally because we can't make a communication.
    I so scared this.."

    She has said this before, that she is worried I'll get bored and end the relationship because of our inability to communicate easily.

    Anyone else discover TG's that had this fear?

    BTW ... if any of you are curious ... that is Nui in my Avatar ... a rather saucy pic she sent me from her hometown.
    Not hard to see and know why you hooked up with Nui on your trip, from what I read about her on your extensive TR, and that pictures just adds icing to the cake.

    My maybe TG has the same insecurities with language, but I think she is doing great and I help her when I can.

    For example last night on the phone, average connection and all we were having a serious discussion, and I just could not catch what she was trying to say due to accent and the phone line, and I could tell she was getting frustrated I could not comprehend. So I said we will talk about later on Skype, but she said how long until your dinner, if time lets do on skype now, so it was off to the computer and problem solved in five minutes.

    Also when we type on skype i usually correct and respell some spelling errors , but also let a few go by as I know what they mean, but this can have consequences too as if I pick up the same error later have let go previous i usually get "why you not tell me before" 555

    As i have said previous the language barrier and learning just makes the relationship more interesting.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Thip has the same worries, especially in a social situation....
    Look it's a fact that I will never be able to discuss quantum physics with her, but I think I will cope! 555

  5. #5
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Thip has the same worries, especially in a social situation....
    Look it's a fact that I will never be able to discuss quantum physics with her, but I think I will cope! 555
    Why would you want to talk Quantam Physics, Aussie Rules footy I can understand 555
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  6. #6
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Why would you want to talk Quantam Physics, Aussie Rules footy I can understand 555
    She's already over hearing how well the Pies are doing!!! 5555

  7. #7
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,091
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    If we are worried about being able to communicate while in LOS, with TG's or just getting around, a recent email response I got from Nui also shows that they worry about their shortcomings in English as well.

    This from her email ....

    "Am sorry and I know Thai it diffecult for you
    same as me that English diffecult for me too. So I think some day you will boring me and want to finish me the finally because we can't make a communication.
    I so scared this.."

    She has said this before, that she is worried I'll get bored and end the relationship because of our inability to communicate easily.

    Anyone else discover TG's that had this fear?

    BTW ... if any of you are curious ... that is Nui in my Avatar ... a rather saucy pic she sent me from her hometown.
    Yep... and it's my fear too!

    If their English is crap I move on. Relationships are all about communication. I haven't got the patience! Life is too short to piss about with someone you can't talk to about your deepest most complex fears, loves and thoughts... there are so many cute girls who can speak good English... so make it easy for yourself!

    I know, I know.... I sound harsh, but I just can't be that patient. I look down the line and think of all the issues this is gonna cause... but once you are in with a girl it's too late, you're emotionally "toast"! So you need to be discerning from the first meeting... it's the same as when you first meet someone you like and chat to them... but as soon as they get up to go to the toilet you see they have a fat ass.... and bam! You're outta there! Same, same me with language/communication. I need to be able to rely on them to stimulate me at all levels..

    I wonder if anyone else thinks like this?
    Last edited by Quarky; 28th April 2011 at 20:25.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  8. #8
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,091
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Thip has the same worries, especially in a social situation....
    Look it's a fact that I will never be able to discuss quantum physics with her, but I think I will cope! 555
    I wouldn't... I need to be able to talk about anything.... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,730
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Insecurities will show up in different ways, big thing is they feel that we as men will get bored and move on.

    Language is not a problem as you go on as each couple develops their own style of Tinglish only way i can describe it.

    The longer together the more intuitive and easier it becomes...beware the misunderstandings...55555
    Very much the case, and develops so much quicker and easier, when face to face.

    You start out like having Deaf & Mute, girlfriend, everything has to be shown or intuitive, the eyes are always the show and you can see if they understand or they are waiting for further information??

    It is frustrating, but very much part of the whole thing, brings you closer.

    I realy recomend one of those talking translating hand machine, usefull for both of you, and you have to get close to share it 555555

  10. #10
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I wouldn't... I need to be able to talk about anything.... 555
    DP just checking, you have never been married, right ?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yep... and it's my fear too!

    If their English is crap I move on. Relationships are all about communication. I haven't got the patience! Life is too short to piss about with someone you can't talk to about your deepest most complex fears, loves and thoughts... there are so many cute girls who can speak good English... so make it easy for yourself!

    I know, I know.... I sound harsh, but I just can't be that patient. I look down the line and think of all the issues this is gonna cause... but once you are in with a girl it's too late, you're emotionally "toast"! So you need to be discerning from the first meeting... it's the same as when you fist meet someone you like and chat to them... but as soon as they get up to go to the toilet you see they have a fat ass.... and bam! You're outta there! Same, same me with language/communication. I need to be able to rely on them to stimulate me at all levels..

    I wonder if anyone else thinks like this?
    I don't dissagree,
    I would never had thought it would happen to me, and to be honest, if it hadn't of been more flights and mucking arond, I probably would have gone to the Phillippines, purely because English is so prominant there. The woman are similar to Thai, and there are some absloute stunners there, just not as common. It also is cheaper even than Thai.

    As anyone that's read my TR knows, I got tired of sitting at lunch or dinner without any conversation, so finished with her.

    I really did think that would be that, and tried mongering again, but I didn't feel right, didn't enjoy myself, and kept thinking of her.

    I like you, need to have a partner with some intelengence and I do think she has it, just not taught enough, and is like a sponge when it comes to learning.

    I think you can define what your wish list is, and if you fall for a girl with many of your points, then explore further, but then again sometimes the list has to just be left behind.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 28th April 2011 at 20:37.

  12. #12
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    DP just checking, you have never been married, right ?
    You are correct. I am on the continued search for the impossible (improbable) dream... 555

    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I don't dissagree,
    I would never had thought it would happen to me, and to be honest, if it hadn't of been more flights and mucking arond, I probably would have gone to the Phillippines, purely because English is so prominant there. The woman are similar to Thai, and there are some absloute stunners there, just not as common. It also is cheaper even than Thai.

    As anyone that's read my TR knows, I got tired of sitting at lunch or dinner without any conversation, so finished with her.

    I really did think that would be that, and tried mongering again, but I didn't feel right, didn't enjoy myself, and kept thinking of her.

    I like you, need to have a partner with some intelengence and I do think she has it, just not taught enough, and is like a sponge when it comes to learning.

    I think you can define what your wish list is, and if you fall for a girl with many of your points, then explore further, but then again sometimes the list has to just be left behind.
    I know... that is the danger. I have done similar in the past... and I look back now and think "why?". I know why... I was vulnerable to their charms... but when I look back there is not one girl I regret as a missed chance. None were right.. even though I may have been besotted at the time. Even the couple of girls I lived with (one for 4 years) weren't right. They weren't best friends that I could chew the fat with. Some came close... but the older I get the less willing I am to compromise. Hence I never ever considered a long term, relationship with a TG unless their English was good AND they were smart, funny and sexy.... I don't ask for much... 555.

    But they do exist... more than one or two as well.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  13. #13
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Well this is all new to me, having never been in any sort of ongoing relationship with a girl that I can't freely communicate with. However, that being said, I think there are other ways that you connect with someone other then just through language. Language can be learned in time, but if that deeper connection with someone isn't there, it dosn't matter how well you can communicate verbally, its not going to help. I seemed to click with Nui from day one, and even with our language struggles, there was always great communication in other ways. Maybe I'm not as worried, as I am not at this point looking for a lifelong companion .. at least I don't think or know that I am. As AM said, I had a great time with Nui on my first trip, as detailed in my TR, and this upcoming trip will be a real test if we can take it further. If I think we have a future together .. AND if I decide how I am going to resolve my present situation ... then the first thing I would do it put Nui into an English Class, as she really wants to do that, and I think she'd do really well. For my part, I'd also focus on learning Thai as well.

    So when I get to BKK, where would be the best place to go to pick up one of those "talking translating hand machines" that I've read about on here before?

  14. #14
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,091
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Well this is all new to me, having never been in any sort of ongoing relationship with a girl that I can't freely communicate with. However, that being said, I think there are other ways that you connect with someone other then just through language. Language can be learned in time, but if that deeper connection with someone isn't there, it dosn't matter how well you can communicate verbally, its not going to help. I seemed to click with Nui from day one, and even with our language struggles, there was always great communication in other ways. Maybe I'm not as worried, as I am not at this point looking for a lifelong companion .. at least I don't think or know that I am. As AM said, I had a great time with Nui on my first trip, as detailed in my TR, and this upcoming trip will be a real test if we can take it further. If I think we have a future together .. AND if I decide how I am going to resolve my present situation ... then the first thing I would do it put Nui into an English Class, as she really wants to do that, and I think she'd do really well. For my part, I'd also focus on learning Thai as well.

    So when I get to BKK, where would be the best place to go to pick up one of those "talking translating hand machines" that I've read about on here before?
    You'll be fine because you have the perfect "mistress" type relationship. Nothing too deep that will screw with your head. It's when it starts screwing with your head that the fun and games begin. And this should be documented in a trip report... 555
    Don't forget to move these threads up a level if you ever decide to divorce... a good lawyer will scour the internet for info on you.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  15. #15
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    You'll be fine because you have the perfect "mistress" type relationship. Nothing too deep that will screw with your head. It's when it starts screwing with your head that the fun and games begin. And this should be documented in a trip report... 555
    Don't forget to move these threads up a level if you ever decide to divorce... a good lawyer will scour the internet for info on you.
    That's what I like about you DP, always thinking ahead!! 555 No, seriously, that is some damn good advice, and I will be sure to do that, should that situation ever arise.

    Should my head start being screwed with, I promise to write a very detailed TR about the whole thing. Actually, I did say in my other thread that I'd write a "where is all this heading" type thread ... but damn if I know the answer to that yet.

  16. #16
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,512
    If Miss Perfect girl already has everything you are looking for, don't you think she can do better than YOU?

    Gentlemen, the entertainment value, mental stimulation and straight forward advantages of the so-called "language barrier" should never be overlooked....

    Firstly, the word association games that can be played out whilst teaching English to your TG are endless.......this provides both mental stimulation and entertainment for you....

    For example, you can explain about your office structure, workers and management, department heads and underlings......in no time at all you can have your TG referring to management positions as "head jobs".......

    In future when you mention career advancement she will offer encouragement...hearing over and over again that sweet innocent voice insisting that you deserve "head job" .....well, that makes teaching her English all that much more worthwhile...

    The advantages of the "barrier"....they are simple enough....try talking your way out of calling your farang girl what you think when you momentarily lose it....not gonna happen...

    Play it with a straight face and you can get away with lots of momentary snaps with your TG (till her English improves)......"No, no teeruk, I was talking about the color of the sand....I said superb yellow beach."

    IMHO mental stimulation is where you make it.....not where you find it...

    Enjoy
    Quarky, jontymate and MojitoZ like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  17. #17
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,091
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post

    Should my head start being screwed with, I promise to write a very detailed TR about the whole thing. Actually, I did say in my other thread that I'd write a "where is all this heading" type thread ... but damn if I know the answer to that yet.
    I'll be looking out for thread titles like "The head screwing has started..." or... "My new life as an Isaan monk" ...555



    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

    IMHO mental stimulation is where you make it.....not where you find it...

    Enjoy
    It is a valid point. And the rest of your post had me in stitches... you have a good way with words...555

    But you have a smart wife who has great command of the English language... so you are in a position of strength now... and don't you prefer that to having the same wife with poor English? OK.. maybe Mrs M had poor English when you met her. But I find it really difficult to emotionally connect with someone unless the communication is really spot on. I mean even farang women... if they can't communicate well, then it just doesn't happen for me.

    Maybe I am just different to most guys in that I need that... otherwise to me it will always stay as a holiday fling type scenario...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  18. #18
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    I would like to say that Noy can speak decent English and would have to say that if we could not have spoken so much at the beginning when I met her we would not be together now. Noy learnt her English by taking to customers at her shop and through her past Farang BFs. She speaks pretty good everyday conversational English as well as know's the relationship side of things as well... We do have a fair few moments where we can struggle to communicate (like trying to explain what I do for work, but that is hard to explain to English speaker 555) but we work at it and Noy is very quick to pick something up. I honestly think the language barrier can be a bit of fun as well (I agree with what Minder has said) as it can get you closer together when helping to communicate. You start to have your own way of communicating, like Wabbits said with "Tinglish" and that is a bond you have with each other.

    I also agree with DP, you must be able to communicate in a relationship and in person it is so much easier then on the phone or Skype, the lines can not be soo great and makes it hard to understand in with the accents at times. I think you need to find a happy medium when it comes to the language. Like I said earlier if it was not for Noy's English speaking skills, I do not think we would be together. We have our form of Tinglish and now need to work at it from there. I am trying to learn Thai and she is trying to learn more English. In a relationship I feel you need to meet half way. Cannot be the one person doing everything, just my thoughts.

    But to answer the question about weather my TG worries about the language barrier, well yes. She has not said that she is worried I will leave her due to the lack of communication but more worried about talking to my family and friends and weather (is that the right weather Rob? 555) they will like her or not due to the lack of communication.
    Quarky and MojitoZ like this.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,730
    "So when I get to BKK, where would be the best place to go to pick up one of those "talking translating hand machines" that I've read about on here before?"

    I got Jeab's at an electrical department store in a big shopping centre.The ones that sell TV's Fridges etc. It was in Patts, so I don't know where the store's are in Bkk.

    There are also lots for sale on ebay. Or just google and find a local supplier. If you get one before you go you could start learning Thai a bit.

    I paid about $80aus.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    "So when I get to BKK, where would be the best place to go to pick up one of those "talking translating hand machines" that I've read about on here before?"

    I got Jeab's at an electrical department store in a big shopping centre.The ones that sell TV's Fridges etc. It was in Patts, so I don't know where the store's are in Bkk.

    There are also lots for sale on ebay. Or just google and find a local supplier. If you get one before you go you could start learning Thai a bit.

    I paid about $80aus.
    Thanks JC. Just to be sure, is this what you are all talking about? THAI - CHINESE/ENGLISH*- Vocal 610-SEA Voice HANDHELD Digital Talking Pocket Electronic Translator Dictionary or similar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •