Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you miss most?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

What would you miss most?

If you were to move to LOS, or already have moved what is it you would miss the most about your Home Country? I believe for most it would be family and/or friends, so lets just forget about them for this question 555.

Personally I think the thing I would miss the most would be going to live football (AFL). I get the the footy whenever I am not working. I am an MCC memeber and strong Carlton Supporter but would miss going to see it at the MCG if I was to live in LOS.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Funny when you live in LOS for awhile there is not much you miss...well for me not much.
    The odd cold day...fat women
    For me though the need to do something constructive which is hard in Patts or Patong.
    Next time will make sure i have a building project or something like that.

AFL you will get to see in LOS on TV anyway mate.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    AFL you will get to see in LOS on TV anyway mate.
    Yeah I have watched footy on TV there before but it is not the same. There is just something about watching it live at the MCG (or any ground for that matter) that I love. Maybe it is the atmosphere, or the fact I can yell and scream as much as I want and let go from that built up anger but I just Love it. I would make sure my trips to home would be during footy season... Even if it was freezing cold.

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Money that I can earn whilst in Oz, although I can do a fair bit remotely. Probably the intellectual stimulation from work too. Maybe driving given everything that is said about farang automatically in the wrong and MIB.

A bit of a worry that I'm not sure what else I would really miss. Perhaps that's lack of experience in LOS, or naivety on my part. Whilst developed countries are great, I actually hate the sterile, overly politically correct and regulated environment. I would go to a market in LOS any day of the week in preference to local shopping centres. I walk through and think what a waste of money...no culture, no vibe, just sterile and riducuously priced. Obviously has its benefits when the #$&* hits the fan, but cheap, cheerful and free is far more my thing, until the proverbial bus comes around the corner and you need the safety net of medicare and a developed economy.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I think once you were there on a full time basis the list would become endless with all the little things.... as contrarian (CT for short??) said, the medicare system would be a biggy for me....
    There was a show on the ABC last night of a lady taking her daughter around to 3rd world countries so she could experience how people live in poverty... I found it a bit pretentious as she made it obvious that she could and would step away from it at any minute... her Thailand leg included a week in Koh Samui before heading up north to live in a village on the Myanmar border.... She pulled the pin on her trip early as she was missing the creature comforts of home, once getting home all she wanted to do was go back!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I think once you were there on a full time basis the list would become endless with all the little things.... as contrarian (CT for short??) said, the medicare system would be a biggy for me....
    There was a show on the ABC last night of a lady taking her daughter around to 3rd world countries so she could experience how people live in poverty... I found it a bit pretentious as she made it obvious that she could and would step away from it at any minute... her Thailand leg included a week in Koh Samui before heading up north to live in a village on the Myanmar border.... She pulled the pin on her trip early as she was missing the creature comforts of home, once getting home all she wanted to do was go back!!
    CT sounds good to me.

Sounds like a typical woman... can't make up her mind hehehe. Ok I may have gone and stepped in it now 555.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
    Money that I can earn whilst in Oz, although I can do a fair bit remotely. Probably the intellectual stimulation from work too. Maybe driving given everything that is said about farang automatically in the wrong and MIB.

A bit of a worry that I'm not sure what else I would really miss. Perhaps that's lack of experience in LOS, or naivety on my part. Whilst developed countries are great, I actually hate the sterile, overly politically correct and regulated environment. I would go to a market in LOS any day of the week in preference to local shopping centres. I walk through and think what a waste of money...no culture, no vibe, just sterile and riducuously priced. Obviously has its benefits when the #$&* hits the fan, but cheap, cheerful and free is far more my thing, until the proverbial bus comes around the corner and you need the safety net of medicare and a developed economy.
    Medi care is over rated.....If you have to use public for anything other than emergency you are proper firked. I think our medical care here in Oz is more third world in some ways compared to LOS anyway. Think about private the excess for using it would be more than a short stay in a BKK hospital.My friends dad is basing himself in Cambodia but will be no more than 5 hours from BKK as he knows the care there is second to none.

I'd miss UK TV!!! Best in the world in my opinion for the range of channels, sports, films and general presentation. You can download stuff in LOS of course... but there is just so much live sport I would miss. I miss it when I go to NZ... so LOS would be at least as bad! Probably use a slingbox or something if seriously moving there.

I'd also miss the cool air of the UK that makes exercising much easier... oh.. and decent fish and chips... 555
    Though when I lived in Bangkok for a few months I didn't miss much really...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Medi care is over rated.....If you have to use public for anything other than emergency you are proper firked. I think our medical care here in Oz is more third world in some ways compared to LOS anyway. Think about private the excess for using it would be more than a short stay in a BKK hospital.My friends dad is basing himself in Cambodia but will be no more than 5 hours from BKK as he knows the care there is second to none.
    I disagree Wabs... mate of mine has had a quad by-pass recently at no cost at all.... I couldn't imagine how you would go as a foreigner in LOS trying to get the same at no charge

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I disagree Wabs... mate of mine has had a quad by-pass recently at no cost at all.... I couldn't imagine how you would go as a foreigner in LOS trying to get the same at no charge
    I think it depends on severity. For a minor op overnight I was up for the equivalent of 25,000 baht in out of pockets, despite paying equivalent of more than 10,000 baht a month for top cover.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Me,
    I would miss the surf! I am missing it here in Townsville, but hope one day to get back to Coolangatta.

Maybe simple things like vegemite.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Me,
    I would miss the surf! I am missing it here in Townsville, but hope one day to get back to Coolangatta.

Good point, I would find a way to get that in with me. I love that stuff. I was called the Vegemite kid when I was younger. Toast (no butter) and a think layer of the stuff Yummmm!!!

I saw vegemite in a few supermarkets in Bangkok. Even bought a pot!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Good point, I would find a way to get that in with me. I love that stuff. I was called the Vegemite kid when I was younger. Toast (no butter) and a think layer of the stuff Yummmm!!!
    I have it with Honey, taste's great..

That reminds me of a funny story. When I was younger and going through a Growth spurt I was not eating very much. I went to stay at one of my Aunties for a weekend and my mum told her to make sure I ate everything i was given. I was asked what I wanted for Breakfast. I replied with Toast with Vegimite and Honey (I meant 2 pieces, one with each). When I got my toast (one at a time) I thought it was the Vegimite one, I tasted it and thought there was something really wrong with it. I asked if I could have the honey one and got another of the same, turns out I did not clearly say what I wanted and actually got 2 pieces of toast with Vegimite and Honey and was forced to eat every last bit 55555.

Not a good mix...

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    That reminds me of a funny story. When I was younger and going through a Growth spurt I was not eating very much. I went to stay at one of my Aunties for a weekend and my mum told her to make sure I ate everything i was given. I was asked what I wanted for Breakfast. I replied with Toast with Vegimite and Honey (I meant 2 pieces, one with each). When I got my toast (one at a time) I thought it was the Vegimite one, I tasted it and thought there was something really wrong with it. I asked if I could have the honey one and got another of the same, turns out I did not clearly say what I wanted and actually got 2 pieces of toast with Vegimite and Honey and was forced to eat every last bit 55555.

Not a good mix...
    Was your Aunt Thai???? took you literaly.

It is a great taste, try it again now your older.

nah she is Maltese/Aussie. But was still young no children at that point. So I guess she expected something strange from a Child.

I think I am scared for life after that and could not try it again 555

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Lets see ....

Water I can drink out of the tap
    Skiing
    Hockey (the Ice variety)
    Family and Friends
    Canadian Medical ... covers everything 100% .. tho can have waiting lists ...
    ... .... ummmmmm ......
    oh, probably Bookstores .... but that is not a biggie, as you can order pretty much anything online now ... tho I just love going in and browsing in bookstores, which might be tough if everything is in Thai.
    ... cold weather? .... maybe ... might get tired of 40+ celcius days pretty quick ... wouldn't really miss the rain and cold much I don't think tho
    really good dependable high speed internet .... maybe it was just me, but the internet seemed brutally slow in LOS ...
    ability to make a decent income ....
    ... .... that might be it ...
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The things I would miss could probably be counted on one hand whereas the things I would be happy to leave behind might take a bit longer.
    Lets av a go then....

Would miss
    Real cheese
    Good quality affordable wine
    Cottesloe Beach

Wouldn't miss
    Staying in a lot because of hazardous nightlife
    Rush hour traffic
    Gardening shows on TV and Radio
    People who only talk about work and mortgages
    The next big thing
    Politics, particularly Julia
    Discount store ads
    The Carbon tax
    Sport telecasts full of ads hours after whatever it is has finished and you know the outcome from the live radio broadcast

I only hope it never gets too much like home because then there wouldn't be any point in going.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Who's Honey I thought your GF's name was Jeab 5555
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast