Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Minder is in Bangkok.....is anyone else?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Minder is in Bangkok.....is anyone else?

June 18th 2011

Just got into town early this morning. Unexpected.

Anyone else likely to be visiting Soi Cowboy this week?

See you there?
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    I wish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Me too.....sad now.....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    June 18th 2011

Just got into town early this morning. Unexpected.

Anyone else likely to be visiting Soi Cowboy this week?

See you there?
    Every night I am there,,,,,,,,, in spirit.
    Whish i was in reality.

Have a great trip.

Its 4am Friday morning at Perth airport and Mrs M and I are standing in line at the Jetstar Checkin. The Volcanic ash cloud has caused mass cancellations to air timetables across Australia. Thousands of flights in the eastern states but only one departure from Perth to Singapore was cancelled – of course that was ours, a planned weekend in Phuket booked months earlier at a discount rate too-good-to-refuse.

Re-bookings could only occur via the Jetstar call centre – a zone in meltdown due to the Volcanic event. So hours of engaged signals, line drop outs and constant on-hold messages later and I have some new flights – so relieved was I to finally be talking to the call centre that the flight option I was given did not register at first – ummm….say again the word that sounded like Sydney.

Yes, here we are about to obtain tickets for what I would call the scenic route to Phuket from Perth – that is the one via Sydney – 4 hours to Sydney and then 10 hours to Phuket – and then a couple more with Air Asia’s last plane out to Bangkok booked 3 hours earlier on-line during a sleepless night of last-minute preparations.

I say about to obtain tickets but of course, given the mass delays and cancellations of recent days the airport is strewn with stranded passengers camping in every corner and the queues for every possible departure point snake back to the exits – Jetstar has only one check in counter operating at this time. Perhaps it would have been a good day to roster extra staff – but hey, what do we know?

Over an hour later and back in the queue after a detour to Qantas ticketing since Jetstar cannot find our bookings to Sydney at all and the guy at Qantas could only find the Sydney to Phuket leg and all around us are people with equally faulty paperwork trying to find a way out also. We meet several people we should have met the night before on our flight to Singapore – they to have opted for the scenic route to Phuket. God help us all.

Tickets in hand after a Qantas manager – he looked about 15 years old – was called to over-ride some codes and we make it to the security check line – only a few hundreds of people there and our flight boards in 10 minutes. We get to the gate in time to join the tail end of the boarding queue and a comparatively uneventful flight to the Sydney domestic terminal follows. We are over the Nullabor before I can believe we are really on our way.

Six hours into the Sydney to Phuket flight and after some ten hours of jet flight and we leave the Australian mainland for the first time….Over seas at last!
    wabbits likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Could be making am appearance at cowboi tonight, but will be at Nana for sure as staying on Soi 4

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Its 4am Friday morning at Perth airport and Mrs M and I are standing in line at the Jetstar Checkin. The Volcanic ash cloud has caused mass cancellations to air timetables across Australia. Thousands of flights in the eastern states but only one departure from Perth to Singapore was cancelled – of course that was ours, a planned weekend in Phuket booked months earlier at a discount rate too-good-to-refuse.

Re-bookings could only occur via the Jetstar call centre – a zone in meltdown due to the Volcanic event. So hours of engaged signals, line drop outs and constant on-hold messages later and I have some new flights – so relieved was I to finally be talking to the call centre that the flight option I was given did not register at first – ummm….say again the word that sounded like Sydney.

Yes, here we are about to obtain tickets for what I would call the scenic route to Phuket from Perth – that is the one via Sydney – 4 hours to Sydney and then 10 hours to Phuket – and then a couple more with Air Asia’s last plane out to Bangkok booked 3 hours earlier on-line during a sleepless night of last-minute preparations.

I say about to obtain tickets but of course, given the mass delays and cancellations of recent days the airport is strewn with stranded passengers camping in every corner and the queues for every possible departure point snake back to the exits – Jetstar has only one check in counter operating at this time. Perhaps it would have been a good day to roster extra staff – but hey, what do we know?

Over an hour later and back in the queue after a detour to Qantas ticketing since Jetstar cannot find our bookings to Sydney at all and the guy at Qantas could only find the Sydney to Phuket leg and all around us are people with equally faulty paperwork trying to find a way out also. We meet several people we should have met the night before on our flight to Singapore – they to have opted for the scenic route to Phuket. God help us all.

Tickets in hand after a Qantas manager – he looked about 15 years old – was called to over-ride some codes and we make it to the security check line – only a few hundreds of people there and our flight boards in 10 minutes. We get to the gate in time to join the tail end of the boarding queue and a comparatively uneventful flight to the Sydney domestic terminal follows. We are over the Nullabor before I can believe we are really on our way.

Six hours into the Sydney to Phuket flight and after some ten hours of jet flight and we leave the Australian mainland for the first time….Over seas at last!
    I do believe it is quicker to go to Africa and then on to Phuket...55555
    Well spose You got there losing a day...Nay 2 i suspect with the travelling being what it was.

Why do i picture a guy surrounded by bar girls beer in one hand and sleeping like a baby.5555555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    is he looking for sympathy? 555

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Could be making am appearance at cowboi tonight, but will be at Nana for sure as staying on Soi 4
    Excellent.....I'ii PM you my phone details etc.....
    Mrs M has approved my leave pass for the night but I have to be back by lunch time Tuesday

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    is he looking for sympathy? 555
    If Minder was only going for a weekend he is probably packing for his return trip, after his round Australia trip, retracing Wabbits Odyssey 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    If Minder was only going for a weekend he is probably packing for his return trip, after his round Australia trip, retracing Wabbits Odyssey 555
    Nope still unpacking......

Original plan was 4 nights in Phuket........but with the re-issue I requested a new return date.....and got it.....so sitting here in Bangkok now for a week .......clouds and silver linings etc

Time for a dip in the pool....

Enjoy

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Sounds like you have had a hell of a trip. Got your number and Pm you mine so should be able to make it this time 555.

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    I didn't realise that the flight from Sydney was so long. (10 hours) I thought you Aussies all had it easy flying to LOS with 4-6 hour flights.
    It is expensive and a long haul from here in the UK.

Glad you have your silver lining, enjoy, wish we were there.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    From what i hear ... Minder not only gets his directions to Thailand wrong but when he gets there he (actually Mrs M ) cant even find the right Big C !!!!!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I didn't realise that the flight from Sydney was so long. (10 hours) I thought you Aussies all had it easy flying to LOS with 4-6 hour flights.
    It is expensive and a long haul from here
    Perth to Bangkok direct is about 7.5 hours and we are one of the closest capital cities, most of our cheap fares are via Singapore or K.L. which take longer.

If you are going Perth to Phuket there are a couple of carriers that go direct, 6.5 hours.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Pacific Blue $399 one way, direct to Phuket.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It is expensive and a long haul from here in the UK.

Glad you have your silver lining, enjoy, wish we were there.
    Direct Syd to Bkk can be around 8.5-9 hrs. The thing that gets me is for the first 5 hrs your still over Australia, I sit there watching the location map thingy and we have just passed inland of Townsville where I live, but I have been on travel from home for 7hrs already!
    Shame they don't have somting to space shuttle you to the plane in flight 5555555

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar

What a nightmare! Glad you made it Minder. I never watch the news ... hardly watched TV in the past week except for the US Open ... so I'm reading this thinking "Volcanic Ash????" Now I've got to check the news feeds to find out who had a volcano and when. Nobody tells us these things in Canada.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    What a nightmare! Glad you made it Minder. I never watch the news ... hardly watched TV in the past week except for the US Open ... so I'm reading this thinking "Volcanic Ash????" Now I've got to check the news feeds to find out who had a volcano and when. Nobody tells us these things in Canada.
    Thanks Vanguy,

I should add the ten hours included nearly one hour parked on the runway waiting for clearance to take off.....

I can understand you missing the international news as the blood soaked streets of Vancouver descended into anarchy around that time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    From what i hear ... Minder not only gets his directions to Thailand wrong but when he gets there he (actually Mrs M ) cant even find the right Big C !!!!!
    Had your future Mrs G given us her actual location we would have located her......the funny part was the six or seven phone calls as we went up and down from floor to floor.....THEN they realised.......BTW I wouldn't bother learning Thai to communicate with your intended....it didn't do Mrs M any good....555

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast