Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: AM's Trip report (Gonzo style)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

AM's Trip report (Gonzo style)

As I not time to keep a running report on the move, I will add here a few snippets as I travel.

Day One Part One: AM flew out just after midnight Tuesday morning with Jetstar good flight to Singapore and then to BKK. AM's intentions were to read Chobs Learn Thai Topic that he had printed out and watch a Movie he had downloaded on his Zen Player

Success rate of this zero achieved neither. But did watch a couple of episodes of a Adult Cartoon Sitcom called The Life and Times of Tim (this bloke has a warped sense of humour)

Purchased 2 bottles of water in Perth before the flight, drank 1/2 of one on flight to Singapore, but was told could not take water on plane at gate to board BKK flight, so drank full bottle there, and was allowed on with other - go figure?

Had maybe 5 minute wait at Immi at BKK, 2 minute wait for bag, and straight through Customs and met by TG, straight onto Airport link and was at Hotel in just over an hour on landing.

No rest for the wicked, a quick trip to Superrich to change some money, forgot to bring some Thai Baht with me from home, so TG had paid for all to this point 555, then caught the train to Wongwian Yai on the BTS, and then taxi to see all of TG's Reli's and divvy out all the lollies and gifts, and Sister-In-Law straight off to buy me 2 King Brown Leo's.

Also met older Brother, who I had not met previously, and though we lacked communication through language, we seemed to hit it off ok. He arrived from Buriram into BKK for a day before flying out back for 4 weeks on an Oil Rig where he works.

So to this point no sleep since Sunday night, othet than minnimal dose on the kite AM was feeling the pinch about 5pm in the afternoon, but the Leo helped, but still a pre arranged dinner later that evening to do, but before that had to head back into central BKK in peak hour traffic. At one stage we sat idle for ten minutes in the taxi, in traffic and did not move an inch, but finally got to our desination, to pick up sister and her friend.

So we headed off to the other side of BKK to a new venue called Chocolate Ville

Took awhile traffic still horrific, but got there at about 8pm , found a table outside near a lake and ordered up drinks and food and thought it was going to be awhile as place was very busy, but all food landed on table within 10 minutes massive feed for 5 people including drinks under 3000b.

As you would expect plenty of photo opp's (Think Thai's rival Japanese for photo taking), which dragged out another hour, then had a bit of trouble getting a cab, as on the outskirts of BKK, but finally got back to Hotel about 11pm, and a nice shower and the desired of sleep required.

OBSERVATIONS FROM DAY ONE

Perth Aiport could take a leaf out of Suvarnabhumi Airport
    You can spend a bit of time in a taxi in BKK but never seems to cost too much
    I like Leo Beer
    There is not a person in the world that can count high enough for the amount of 7/11's and Family Marts in Thailand
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Doing better than me AM... I still wouldn't have come up for air at this stage of my trip let alone be writing a TR!.....

My hairdresser here in Melbourne is seeing the daughter of the Family Mart chain.... hence he has a different style of holiday in LOS to most of us!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    TG with sister blah blah, gives me time to sneak on here the odd time. 555 , plus it is now Day 3 and yes just come up for air..... 555
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 15th June 2012 at 00:29.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I think there are just over 100 711's in Pattaya not including surrounds and the Family Marts are not far behind.

they are like beacons of light down dark back soi's.

Love BKK there is always somewhere or something to see that you never thought of.

Keep it coming AM and enjoy.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Nice stuff mate.... maybe it will urge PBB to complete his story.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Nice to hear you are having a good time AM. Gotta love the first day, find yourself doing things you would not normally do. That First Leo always does great things for ya 555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I think there are just over 100 711's in Pattaya not including surrounds and the Family Marts are not far behind.

they are like beacons of light down dark back soi's.

Love BKK there is always somewhere or something to see that you never thought of.

Keep it coming AM and enjoy.
    Something about BKK for sure, this arvo just headed out to a Pharmacy, and just stayed out an extra hour just observing the going on's, traffic everywhere. TG was not impressed though, as i went to get tablets for her headache 555.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Nice stuff mate.... maybe it will urge PBB to complete his story.
    Not a chance I"m thinking 555

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Nice to hear you are having a good time AM. Gotta love the first day, find yourself doing things you would not normally do. That First Leo always does great things for ya 555
    Not sleeping, eating heaps, and a nice cold Leo G4, yep not what I would normally do.. Good fun
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 16th June 2012 at 00:03.

Well a few days have flown, Day 2 was spent with B-I-L, who had to fly out for work later in the day, so we headed to one of my favourite Cafe's for breakfast which is just down the road from where we are staying, it is Thai run, but has a sprinkling of Farang customers. Found it by accident, when we had to meet S-I-L last trip at the Phra Khanong Skytrain station and grabbed a bite to eat nearby.

After a bit of window shopping, we took brother to Airport, catching the Airport Link, and spending some time in Airport, before heading back into the city. TG was keen to get me a Sim Card (the other got lost between trips), a particular one from 12call, which took a bit of locating, before we finally got and loaded with credit. Have had now two days and still not used, but the credit has run out. Go figure 555.

That evening walked from Phra Khanong to Ekamai for dinner at a MK Restaurant which TG wanted to do. When we got there and approached the Restaurant, all the staff were doing a dance WTF, this place isn't for me I thought. Can't say i was overly impressed and when mentioned again next night as a possible place to go eat, I hit it on the head pretty quickly. If you are not aware of MK it is a chain Restaurant where we you cook up (boil) your food at the table. Fun concept but pretty bland food, and the Duck was cold

OBSERVATIONS:

Really like BKK's train system, quick clean cheap and plentiful.
    Thai Fast Food chains like anywhere very hit and miss.
    Spot likes this.

Turn your data off on your phone. Should stop the credit drain.
    G4orce likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Well a few days have flown, Day 2 was spent with B-I-L, who had to fly out for work later in the day, so we headed to one of my favourite Cafe's for breakfast which is just down the road from where we are staying, it is Thai run, but has a sprinkling of Farang customers. Found it by accident, when we had to meet S-I-L last trip at the Phra Khanong Skytrain station and grabbed a bite to eat nearby.

After a bit of window shopping, we took brother to Airport, catching the Airport Link, and spending some time in Airport, before heading back into the city. TG was keen to get me a Sim Card (the other got lost between trips), a particular one from 12call, which took a bit of locating, before we finally got and loaded with credit. Have had now two days and still not used, but the credit has run out. Go figure 555.

That evening walked from Phra Khanong to Ekamai for dinner at a MK Restaurant which TG wanted to do. When we got there and approached the Restaurant, all the staff were doing a dance WTF, this place isn't for me I thought. Can't say i was overly impressed and when mentioned again next night as a possible place to go eat, I hit it on the head pretty quickly. If you are not aware of MK it is a chain Restaurant where we you cook up (boil) your food at the table. Fun concept but pretty bland food, and the Duck was cold

OBSERVATIONS:

Really like BKK's train system, quick clean cheap and plentiful.
    Thai Fast Food chains like anywhere very hit and miss.
    Keep it coming AM I am a Bangkok virgin, I have read everybodies elses post about BKK and still have a mental picture that scares me away from crowds and highway parking lots. Wabbs pushbike tour seems the trick but... I have to go there next trip.... Embassy business 006.5
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Noy has a thing for MK as well. I have looked at it everytime and managed to avoid it. Noy has insisted I go there with her (she has never tried it). I even offered to give her money to take her sister but she insists I must go as well... As for the 12call sim card that IMO is the best in the way of getting reception just about everywhere. DTAC, True do not get service in the village by 12 call was great. The data does drain your credit so get TG to turn it off. I had no idea how to do it, in the end took it to a shop who did it for me.

The more time you spend with the TG's family the more you will get hooked on Leo. Have they got you drinking it with ice yet? The first time i saw it I wanted to kill the person who poured my beer but it grew on me and when in LOS I only drink it with Ice now.
    Spot and Toby and Arada like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Turn your data off on your phone. Should stop the credit drain.
    Is that what you call a TG, Memock 555

No problem with data, just TG comandeering phone "for her own use"
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 16th June 2012 at 11:30.
    G4orce and MeMock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Keep it coming AM I am a Bangkok virgin, I have read everybodies elses post about BKK and still have a mental picture that scares me away from crowds and highway parking lots. Wabbs pushbike tour seems the trick but... I have to go there next trip.... Embassy business 006.5
    Yes Spot, pretty daunting place when you first step out and about, plenty of everything. but never a boring minute, something always happening.
    Spot likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I love the dances at MK Restaurant. The look of enthusiasm from the wait staff is just so so over powering. Spot great city with much to explore and experience. I/ we have a condo on the cusp of the best describe at the "Gay red light district" Silom / Bang Rak....... 2 streets away from patpong ping pong. I will often have a few drinks in the gay bars.
    Spot likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Spot,
    You will love it....Get you out of your comfort zone for sure, 55555. Can't describe it you can only experience it.
    PatongBeachBoy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Spot,
    You will love it....Get you out of your comfort zone for sure, 55555. Can't describe it you can only experience it.
    Righto mate, you'll have to come with me to keep me from biffing the Russians???? 55555
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Righto mate, you'll have to come with me to keep me from biffing the Russians???? 55555
    Easy don't hold back

Day 3/4, has been the usual tourist type scenario, using the Skytrain lots to get around have not been in a taxi for two days, where last time here every day. As said very much like the train system here, but after living in Perth any transport system is good to me. Could not believe the amount of people on the trains in rush hour. Purchased a GPS, Garvin Nuvi 40 from Power Buy, and the first hour on Monday getting out of Bangkok should be interesting to say the least.

The A$ has improved every day since arriving from 31.25 to a now 31.6 at Superrich. Yesterday cashed up before heading bush, and went to the Superrich at Rajdamri Road , talk about a busy place, had me daydreaming how can I set up a businesss like this. Cannot say a bad word about Superich, service is swift and good with no complications.
    Also purchased a small phone for TG's Mum,from Big-C, a basic Nokia without all the bells and whistles, cheap as chips7850b and has nice big screen and display which will make things easy for her.

Eating wise we had a late lunch the other day back at M Coffee, they do a Tom Yung Soup inside rice, which TG loves, and i had Garlic and Pepper Pork with vegetables which was tasty

Spot. I hated BKK the first few times I went There but it has really grown on me. I love it now and will continue to keep going back there. There are the Russians but I think there are more Indians, Arabs or Japanese (Soi 22 in particular) people around. There is so much to see and do. It is great for shopping (but I hate shopping), great food and some good touristy places to see.

Where are you heading from BKK? GPS makes driving in BKK a breeze but get used to missing the odd turn and hearing "GPS recalculating" fairly often! 555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast