Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PatongBeachBoy

Thread: Tips For Life Design In Thailand

  1. #1
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231

    Tips For Life Design In Thailand

    I have been blogging this week about life design in Thailand or lifestyle. Life design is the new buzz word and technology has opened up new ways to live and work.
    Would you live in Thailand or just spend periods of time there? Where would your location of preference be and what would you do with your time? I know we have touched on this before at the forum, but it is an interesting subject.

    Tips For Life Design In Thailand engagingthailandtips Blog

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Good one Giggsy, I'll be having a good read through all that stuff.


    For the last eight to ten years I have been taking "Mini retirements" and "Work breaks" I just didn't realize that's what they were called.

    I am now developing what you would call a life design plan.
    Like any good plan it starts out in detail, is very flexible and gets fuzzier towards the end.

    Step one of the plan so far involves gradual change with goal one being to spend one minimum three months stay a year in Thailand.
    The plan also involves establishing a village base and rented seaside spot.
    Mrs C makes a good point about having a base and that is that you always have people you trust looking after it while you are away.
    We are both also practical enough to realize that we would both quickly go gaga staying in the village year round.
    My Australian business can be run while overseas and has no long term capital outlays but will start to wither if I'm away too long.
    Practical actions to date toward the goal are;
    Getting Mrs C to Australia, improving her English skills and job prospects.
    Working toward permanent visa and eventually Australian citizenship for Mrs C.
    Limiting travel to Thailand to once a year, but extending the length stay each year. This year we will go for 6 weeks.

    Step two, the next goal will be to increase the annual stay in Thailand to up to six months of the year, in one or two lots.
    During this time we both aim to be working full time.
    The goal will have been reached when I feel the need to downsize my Australian commitment to keeping a home, and set up a seasonal long let arrangement here.
    My feeling is that this is still about five years away.

    Step three will be to reverse the step one goal and spend only between three to six months a year working in Australia.
    I plan to have accumulated a reasonable sized cash sum to put on permanent interest bearing deposit to satisfy Thai visa conditions without ever dipping into it.
    Decent Farang house will have been built in the village and a settled long term let in the seaside location paid for each year.
    If I have achieved this in ten years time I will be well pleased.

    Step four will be to retire permanently in Thailand. The main factors at this point will be my will to keep the business going in Australia and whether there is still any Old age pension payable then that they haven't yet made impossible to qualify for.
    Also will be looking for Thai based (Rice) income, lease or barter/swap for basic foods.
    Establish a local shop to keep Mrs C busy.

    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  3. #3
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    Brilliant stuff Changone, simply superb.

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    I feel a bit silly making comment on this as I'm not even 40... Retirement for me is just not even on the horizon so I suppose I can call it my ideal life design...
    Like I have previously said 3mth in LOS and alternating 3mth in OZ would be ideal for me... I can't understand people trying to make a living out of LOS when business opportunities are much greater and more fruitful in the west, so for me making my business more self sufficient here in OZ is more of an aim which in-turn will give me greater freedom...

    I still have a bit of the travel bug in me, so at this stage I am keen to see a fair bit of SE Asia using LOS as a base... and I guess Isaan would be the most practical base as we will be required to see the family anyway... And when all you guys get your permanent houses city or beachside I might have to drop in to say hello! 55555

    I like the idea of having somewhere like Chon Buri or Bang Sean as a base when I settle down, I'ts not important for me to own this as I would rather have that money tied up in western real estate for a greater return... If anything I would like to make Thips family a bit more comfortable by making the family home better (as a builder this is a skill I can offer)...
    wabbits and Quarky like this.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Good one Giggsy, I'll be having a good read through all that stuff.


    For the last eight to ten years I have been taking "Mini retirements" and "Work breaks" I just didn't realize that's what they were called.

    I am now developing what you would call a life design plan.
    Like any good plan it starts out in detail, is very flexible and gets fuzzier towards the end.

    Step one of the plan so far involves gradual change with goal one being to spend one minimum three months stay a year in Thailand.
    The plan also involves establishing a village base and rented seaside spot.
    Mrs C makes a good point about having a base and that is that you always have people you trust looking after it while you are away.
    We are both also practical enough to realize that we would both quickly go gaga staying in the village year round.
    My Australian business can be run while overseas and has no long term capital outlays but will start to wither if I'm away too long.
    Practical actions to date toward the goal are;
    Getting Mrs C to Australia, improving her English skills and job prospects.
    Working toward permanent visa and eventually Australian citizenship for Mrs C.
    Limiting travel to Thailand to once a year, but extending the length stay each year. This year we will go for 6 weeks.

    Step two, the next goal will be to increase the annual stay in Thailand to up to six months of the year, in one or two lots.
    During this time we both aim to be working full time.
    The goal will have been reached when I feel the need to downsize my Australian commitment to keeping a home, and set up a seasonal long let arrangement here.
    My feeling is that this is still about five years away.

    Step three will be to reverse the step one goal and spend only between three to six months a year working in Australia.
    I plan to have accumulated a reasonable sized cash sum to put on permanent interest bearing deposit to satisfy Thai visa conditions without ever dipping into it.
    Decent Farang house will have been built in the village and a settled long term let in the seaside location paid for each year.
    If I have achieved this in ten years time I will be well pleased.

    Step four will be to retire permanently in Thailand. The main factors at this point will be my will to keep the business going in Australia and whether there is still any Old age pension payable then that they haven't yet made impossible to qualify for.
    Also will be looking for Thai based (Rice) income, lease or barter/swap for basic foods.
    Establish a local shop to keep Mrs C busy.

    Changone,
    I can see you have a very focused plan. Excelent in it's expectations, as well.

    I am a bit older, and with nothing at this point, but i have the same sort of plan, on a shorter basis.

    My aming, is to get out of debt, can happen with luck, quickly. Then pay $50k Au into super a year, taxed at 6% due to my age. Do this for 5 years, buy a business here and live off its earninging;s, in LOS

  6. #6
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,282
    Interesting met a lady who is retired living in CM living on only her OZ pension which i think is about 50k a month.
    She said she eats where she wants has 2 bedroom apartment and fly's back to OZ every 6 months.
    Her words i live like a queen...Now everyone is different but she with little as it were lives very well for her.
    Very individual, village life extremely cheap Patong of Phuket not same same.
    Neither good long term as C1 says 2 bases i think better.
    .

  7. #7
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    I too have heard the stories of OAP's "Living like King$ & Queen$" abroad but I fear that as the government coffers start to dry up it is only going to get more difficult for them to satisfy the "Residence" requirements.

    In years past Mum and Dad ran a business together and he always marvelled about how comfortably they lived as they both qualified for the age pension, and could afford extended trips overseas. After he passed away however the reality of the single widow's pension set in for Mum. What with one thing and another her home was sold and now at 85 she is living in a house owned by my brother. If she needs anything other than absolute basics we children have to chip in and pay for it.

    Even if/when she becomes an Australian Citizen, Mrs C will not qualify for an age pension until 2040, so it is only ever the single OAP for me....(Well at least until i'm 85 anyway).

    I wouldn't expect my dog to live solely on what we today laughingly call the old age pension, therefore I could not possibly build my future plans around it as perhaps my Father believed he could.

    Now, if I somehow owned a house outright, made sure I spent a minimum amount of time in Australia each year, saved all my pension money, didn't ever smoke, drink, gamble, go to the movies, own a car, or a pet, used candles after 6pm, had enough blankets to keep warm in the winter, loved staying in shopping centre malls all day during the summer.........


    This from Centrelink
    Most Centrelink payments and services can only be paid for temporary absences of up to 13 weeks outside Australia and you must remain qualified for your payment while you are absent from Australia (you continue to meet the normal qualification rules for the payment, your permanent home is still in Australia, and you are only absent from Australia temporarily, e.g. for a holiday or a visit).

    Some payments can only be paid in very limited circumstances.

    In certain circumstances, you can continue to get your payment if you leave Australia, including if you:

    continue to meet qualifications (for example, if you are on a Disability Support Pension, you remain incapacitated for work or if you get Parenting Payment Single or Carer Payment, you remain an Australian resident, i.e. you do not leave permanently)
    are not being paid the pension under a social security agreement for which there are special rules, for example the United Kingdom agreement
    are not affected by 'former residence' provisions, or
    have to serve minimum periods of return. You must contact Centrelink if you are planning to leave Australia to have your particular circumstances assessed.
    Last edited by Changone; 19th April 2011 at 15:43.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  8. #8
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I too have heard the stories of OAP's "Living like King$ & Queen$" abroad but I fear that as the government coffers start to dry up it is only going to get more difficult for them to satisfy the "Residence" requirements.

    In years past Mum and Dad ran a business together and he always marvelled about how comfortably they lived as they both qualified for the age pension, and could afford extended trips overseas. After he passed away however the reality of the single widow's pension set in for Mum. What with one thing and another her home was sold and now at 85 she is living in a house owned by my brother. If she needs anything other than absolute basics we children have to chip in and pay for it.

    Even if/when she becomes an Australian Citizen, Mrs C will not qualify for an age pension until 2040, so it is only ever the single OAP for me....(Well at least until i'm 85 anyway).

    I wouldn't expect my dog to live solely on what we today laughingly call the old age pension, therefore I could not possibly build my future plans around it as perhaps my Father believed he could.

    Now, if I somehow owned a house outright, made sure I spent a minimum amount of time in Australia each year, saved all my pension money, didn't ever smoke, drink, gamble, go to the movies, own a car, or a pet, used candles after 6pm, had enough blankets to keep warm in the winter, loved staying in shopping centre malls all day during the summer.........


    This from Centrelink
    Most Centrelink payments and services can only be paid for temporary absences of up to 13 weeks outside Australia and you must remain qualified for your payment while you are absent from Australia (you continue to meet the normal qualification rules for the payment, your permanent home is still in Australia, and you are only absent from Australia temporarily, e.g. for a holiday or a visit).

    Some payments can only be paid in very limited circumstances.

    In certain circumstances, you can continue to get your payment if you leave Australia, including if you:

    continue to meet qualifications (for example, if you are on a Disability Support Pension, you remain incapacitated for work or if you get Parenting Payment Single or Carer Payment, you remain an Australian resident, i.e. you do not leave permanently)
    are not being paid the pension under a social security agreement for which there are special rules, for example the United Kingdom agreement
    are not affected by 'former residence' provisions, or
    have to serve minimum periods of return. You must contact Centrelink if you are planning to leave Australia to have your particular circumstances assessed.
    Interesting CI met many UK and OZ expats living on their Pensions. All were residents of their countries only ever on temp Thai visa's.
    They have told me that you must be in Oz every 6 months to stay current with their pensions.
    I am no expert but large numbers do it.
    .

  9. #9
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    People talk about "Retiring to Thailand" but I think that in reality they always keep one foot in the old country where pensions are concerned.

    Is there is any point where you could get real "Permanent residence" in Thailand anyway?

    Good luck to them if they can get away with it and obviously they live more cheaply than in the pension paying country.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  10. #10
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    People talk about "Retiring to Thailand" but I think that in reality they always keep one foot in the old country where pensions are concerned.

    Is there is any point where you could get real "Permanent residence" in Thailand anyway?

    Good luck to them if they can get away with it and obviously they live more cheaply than in the pension paying country.
    Better for our government less strain on the public health system.
    You would never be a permanent res of Thailand only ever temp.
    .

  11. #11
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    I like the bit about the lady in Chiang Mai wabbits. That is a fine set up that she has. I think when all is said and done
    as you have all said, keeping one foot in your home country is wise. I also think you are correct about keeping property purchases in your own country as well.
    Try to have earnings from on line(home country or other clients) or outside of Thailand, but enjoying spending some time at a lower cost of living in Thailand.

    The main determination is the lifestyle you want to live. The lady in Chiang Mai seems to have found that a more simple, less materialistic lifestyle gives her the desired result and well done to her.

  12. #12
    Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by giggsy View Post
    I have been blogging this week about life design in Thailand or lifestyle. Life design is the new buzz word and technology has opened up new ways to live and work.
    Would you live in Thailand or just spend periods of time there? Where would your location of preference be and what would you do with your time? I know we have touched on this before at the forum, but it is an interesting subject.

    Tips For Life Design In Thailand engagingthailandtips Blog
    Just stumbled across this thread...thanks Giggsy...exactly what I was looking for.
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •