Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Growing Thai Herbs from Seeds

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Growing Thai Herbs from Seeds

I have been trying to grow Holy Basil and Prik Kee Noo Chili from seeds as I cannot find them anywhere as seedling but have not had any luck. I have been trying to grow them in small flat containers with Seed Starter mix and keeping them outside and cover them with Glad wrap as well as just throwing some seeds directly into the ground. As the weather has not been so great I experiment by putting some of them in my brother Lizard enclosure under the UV light and Heat lamps(like a Hydro set up). I made sure i kept them moist but not drowned.

After 3 weeks still have not had any growth at all from any of the seeds. I am no green thumb so can anyone help me with the right way to do this. Maybe it is just the wrong time of the year?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I'm not sure UV is the right light to be using... But you really only need heat and moisture to get them started, no lights required...when they sprout you need white spectrum instead of red spectrum(uv)... To grow outdoors in Melbourne ATM won't happen as the temperature is too cold and the sunlight is getting shorter... After mid June (winter equinox) you can plant in a hot house

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    I just use those little jiffy pots from bunnings. They expand when you add water. I put about 3 seeds in each one, place in a baking tray, cover with gladwrap and leave on the kitchen window sill. Takes about 10 days before anything happens. I wont be starting anymore until about September.

Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    I just use those little jiffy pots from bunnings. They expand when you add water. I put about 3 seeds in each one, place in a baking tray, cover with gladwrap and leave on the kitchen window sill. Takes about 10 days before anything happens. I wont be starting anymore until about September.
    I think I might give them a shot inside, my mum is a lizard so the house is always hot... That will be a good thing for Noy when she is here I guess. I have a feeling she will be spending more time with my mum then me lol. Lucky I bought a few packs of seeds 555

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I think I might give them a shot inside, my mum is a lizard so the house is always hot... That will be a good thing for Noy when she is here I guess. I have a feeling she will be spending more time with my mum then me lol. Lucky I bought a few packs of seeds 555
    Where did you buy your seeds from? I get them from

Culinary Bulk, Pleasance Herbs

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Have you reported her to the authorities? I have heard aliens disguise themselves as lizards...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Where did you buy your seeds from? I get them from

Culinary Bulk, Pleasance Herbs
    U brought some holy basil from them, but took a couple weeks postage so found a local place that I cannot remember ATM, sorry. And found Chili Seeds on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Have you reported her to the authorities? I have heard aliens disguise themselves as lizards...
    Did that a while ago as I had my suspensions but hey said there is nothing they could do to help us...