Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Eating out in Thailand

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Eating out in Thailand

When i land somewhere in Thailand i seem always to be hungry!
    Would love to have a guide or some hit picks from people who have been before.
    Tell us about your favs and your not so favs.

S & P restaurants offer excellent value for money!
    In every major shopping centre, eg: Central festival Phuket, they serve delicious Thai and farang food at affordable prices.

My TG prefers farang food whilst I prefer Thai .... strange but true!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I thought we were all adults here and knew how to eat out in Thailand 5555

But seriously I ask around when I get there for advice from fellow Aussies. I like Thai food and the GF also likes Thai food (but it had to be good) Her top preference would be Issan food though, a good Papaya Salad is normally the first option. I love the Thai BBQ's where you help yourself and cook it at your own table

Rock & Roll
    There's a place at the top end of Soi Sansabai, across the main road from the Chang club pool place. Don't know the name, but it says seafood and has a picture of a chicken on the sign. 5555

I ate there a few weeks back and I was pleasantly surprised that it was really good Thai food. They do have seafood, and lots of bbq type stuff. I had the somtam, which I wanted phet phet, and when she brought it had maybe 2 chilies in it. But I sent it back and told her, "mai mee phet, ow PHET PHET!" And on the 2nd try it was perfect. The dish was a bit smaller portion than you'd get on the street, and a bit more expensive at ฿50, but was really good and (don't mean to sound gay here 555, but...) the presentation was very nice. Nice fresh and clean looking papaya salad and even had some carrot to give it color, very spicy the way I like it, and very tasty. I was impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Roll View Post
    There's a place at the top end of Soi Sansabai, across the main road from the Chang club pool place. Don't know the name, but it says seafood and has a picture of a chicken on the sign. 5555

I ate there a few weeks back and I was pleasantly surprised that it was really good Thai food. They do have seafood, and lots of bbq type stuff. I had the somtam, which I wanted phet phet, and when she brought it had maybe 2 chilies in it. But I sent it back and told her, "mai mee phet, ow PHET PHET!" And on the 2nd try it was perfect. The dish was a bit smaller portion than you'd get on the street, and a bit more expensive at ฿50, but was really good and (don't mean to sound gay here 555, but...) the presentation was very nice. Nice fresh and clean looking papaya salad and even had some carrot to give it color, very spicy the way I like it, and very tasty. I was impressed!
    I know the place you speak of, i have seen it before when going to The Chang Club, Same same you, not sure of the name. I have not eaten there myself but will be sure to pop in now when i am there in June. The GF loves her Papaya Salad very spicy.

Rock & Roll
    Also forgot to mention that I think they charge a 10% service. Not positive, I didn't specifically look for it. But the bin came to ฿198, bit of an odd number. I then figured it must have come to ฿180 plus the 10%.

Not a big deal, I always tip. But service charges annoy me! Should be 'up to me' innit!

Also forgot to mention that I think they charge a 10% service. Not positive, I didn't specifically look for it. But the bin came to ฿198, bit of an odd number. I then figured it must have come to ฿180 plus the 10%.

Not a big deal, I always tip. But service charges annoy me! Should be 'up to me' innit!
    IMO if they are going to charge a Service charge that should be their tip (I know its not the staff's fault but i think sneaky of the owners and robbing their staff) I usually tip if i am happy with an individual or the food was good. Again the tip amount depends on how good the experience was. I feel they have to earn a tip. Otherwise they will get the attitude they have in Australia, " I am getting paid no matter how I work"...

This is my favourite som tam restaurant in all of Thailand, so far!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Rock & Roll
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    This is my favourite som tam restaurant in all of Thailand, so far!
    They had a good variety of somtam types you can order also. I had the somtam Thai. I'm a bit leery of the fermented fish (balat) or black crab (Isan style) varieties. Also liked the miniature steamer basket that they served the khao nieow (sticky rice) in.

I also had a pork dish, kana moo grob (some call it crispy pork with kale). Had a good portion of meat in it and also very clean looking and colorful, and very tasty.

In general the prices weren't Thai cheap, but not touristy over-expensive either. When I was there it was a bit early, but there were a few Thais there eating. Always a good indication that the food and value is good.

The som tam Thai was a daily ritual for me last couple of trips... got so that I'd just walk in and the mortar & pestle lady was already pounding away! The teenage waitresses, are well groomed and attentive and the bbq kitchen squeaky clean.
    Cheers, Rob.

I like to take my lady to an MK restaurant and order a large plate of assorted Duck.
    no cooking on the table, just tuck in.
    under 500 bhat with drinks and a side dish.

MK duck and pork excellent but The Dukes ribs.... now THAT is a real Chiang Mai treat! First place I'll be taking Jo when we hit your beautiful city.
    G4orce likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    My lovely girl will feed me and feed me. When she says she will make for me means go to the food carts and bring back.

Then left around is a leaflet for the Slim up center.
    wabbits and justcruzing1 like this.

Thai-Spy
    Chiang Mai - Up Chaiyapoom Road north of Loy Kroh there's an open-air restaurant with some fine mild curried egg noodles and northern style sausages. Never miss it when there's work up that way.

Udon Thani - Make a point of getting the English Breakfast at The Irish Clock on Soi Sampantamit a/k/a Soi Farang.

Nong Khai - Always like stopping in at The Danish Baker for lunch if time permits.

Pattaya - Raymond's on Second Road near Beach Road Soi 7 for the Finnish meatballs (lihaapullat).

Hua Hin - Old Germany restaurant on Naresdamri Road.

Bangkok -
    German: Beergarden Sukhumvit Soi 7 puts out credible meals, as does the Heidelberg on Soi 4 and Tilac Restaurant on Soi 1.
    Japanese: Excellent place next to The Key hotel in a side alley of Soi 19 just up from Robinson department store. Name... Hanako? Maybe... Or Sarika Steakhouse in Patpong.
    Korean: Arirang in Sukhumvit Square at Soi 12.
    Indian: Bukhara's on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 7.
    Lebanese: Beirut, in the basement of Ploenchit Center.
    Australian: Joolz on Soi 4, solid Sunday roast with the works.
    American: The Tavern, opposite Joolz, for bacon cheeseburgers, buffalo wings, and American or English breakfasts (bottomless cup of coffee).
    Italian: Pan Pan in Sukhumvit Soi 33. Or Little Italy on the corner of Soi 23.
    French: Cafe de Paris in Patpong.
    Fish and Chips: The one in Sukhumvit Soi 23 on the left before you get to Soi Cowboy.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai-Spy View Post
    Chiang Mai - Up Chaiyapoom Road north of Loy Kroh there's an open-air restaurant with some fine mild curried egg noodles and northern style sausages. Never miss it when there's work up that way.

Udon Thani - Make a point of getting the English Breakfast at The Irish Clock on Soi Sampantamit a/k/a Soi Farang.

Nong Khai - Always like stopping in at The Danish Baker for lunch if time permits.

Pattaya - Raymond's on Second Road near Beach Road Soi 7 for the Finnish meatballs (lihaapullat).

Hua Hin - Old Germany restaurant on Naresdamri Road.

Bangkok -
    German: Beergarden Sukhumvit Soi 7 puts out credible meals, as does the Heidelberg on Soi 4 and Tilac Restaurant on Soi 1.
    Japanese: Excellent place next to The Key hotel in a side alley of Soi 19 just up from Robinson department store. Name... Hanako? Maybe... Or Sarika Steakhouse in Patpong.
    Korean: Arirang in Sukhumvit Square at Soi 12.
    Indian: Bukhara's on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 7.
    Lebanese: Beirut, in the basement of Ploenchit Center.
    Australian: Joolz on Soi 4, solid Sunday roast with the works.
    American: The Tavern, opposite Joolz, for bacon cheeseburgers, buffalo wings, and American or English breakfasts (bottomless cup of coffee).
    Italian: Pan Pan in Sukhumvit Soi 33. Or Little Italy on the corner of Soi 23.
    French: Cafe de Paris in Patpong.
    Fish and Chips: The one in Sukhumvit Soi 23 on the left before you get to Soi Cowboy.
    Great post TS, especially if one is in LOS and suddenly has a hankering for some farang food!! Good to know where the great cheeseburgers are!!
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Thai-Spy
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Great post TS, especially if one is in LOS and suddenly has a hankering for some farang food!! Good to know where the great cheeseburgers are!!
    Admittedly some of that's from the perspective less of "what's the most amazing meal" but more "what's the most predictable"; clean, tasty and affordable. When you're on the client's time getting sick is not an option.

Unmentioned above... the innumerable Subway sandwich shops in most of the major tourist spots. When you have just three minutes to order and pay for the only thing you'll eat for 6 hours, then need to eat one-handed and standing or walking, nothing else compares.

Sadly nobody ever seems to get Mexican food quite right over here.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai-Spy View Post
    Admittedly some of that's from the perspective less of "what's the most amazing meal" but more "what's the most predictable"; clean, tasty and affordable. When you're on the client's time getting sick is not an option.

Unmentioned above... the innumerable Subway sandwich shops in most of the major tourist spots. When you have just three minutes to order and pay for the only thing you'll eat for 6 hours, then need to eat one-handed and standing or walking, nothing else compares.

Sadly nobody ever seems to get Mexican food quite right over here.
    That's ok, if not getting sick is the end result we're looking for, then they seldom get Mexican food right in Mexico! 555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    That's ok, if not getting sick is the end result we're looking for, then they seldom get Mexican food right in Mexico! 555
    There is a mexican place off Trappaya rd Pataya can not emember the name that was not bad as far as Mexican goes in LOS......or the Mexican place on Suk in BKK close to the corner of Soi 33 not so bad.
    Mexican in OZ is not bad and LOS is not quite there....but then i did not go for that anyway.5555

Thai-Spy
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    There is a mexican place off Trappaya rd Pataya can not emember the name that was not bad as far as Mexican goes in LOS......or the Mexican place on Suk in BKK close to the corner of Soi 33 not so bad.
    Mexican in OZ is not bad and LOS is not quite there....but then i did not go for that anyway.5555
    Is the one you mean in Pattaya called Mike's? Mike's Pattaya Mexican Restaurant(TEX-MEX) - Thailand -- haven't tried it, sad to say.

The one near Soi 33 in Bangkok is called Coyote, but frankly their Silom Road (actually Soi Convent) outlet disappointed twice at a premium price so it was time to give up. But perhaps others have had more success with them.

Thai-Spy
    They can't even get potable water right in Mexico which is a major contributor to the Aztec Two-step. Never take ice in your drinks down there; you might as well be using frozen khlong water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast