Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Fruit in Thailand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I will never be bitter or grumpy. I enjoy life too much. And, I can usually turn something bad into something good if I think hard enough about it. That doesn't mean I don't get hurt occasionally, but that just comes with living a very full life. And, I've had a great one. I don't regret one single thing that has happened to me.
    A true existentialist, I like your commitment to the cause and to honor it I will point out when you deviate from the path.

I am always looking for sunkiss oranges; the bigger supermarkets usually have them and just occasionally I am lucky at a local market, the local 'oranges' just don't cut it for me.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Don't become a bitter grumpy old man like Barry, your out look on life was
    ( is? )
    refreshing for someone your age.

But I agree with the amount of work on a Jackfruit, but it almost taste s ( ? ) like bubble gum. I just let ? others to do the work. 555
    Can we leave personal snide remarks at least out of the Fruit Thread ? Please ?
    Is that too much to ask ?
    We all have our shortcomings ...

And I agree btw , that Jack fruit isnt really a consumer favourite .
    We have a beauty in our garden , and it develops a lot of fruit , but apart from the tg and the land lady , no one else eats them. Most of the fruit grows down low at knee level btw. Maybe thats because they keep hacking the top off ...
    Dunno.
    Last edited by Chob; 12th March 2018 at 04:59.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ Hows your paw paw trees going Chob ?
    Last edited by Tingtong; 12th March 2018 at 17:19.

We cut the last 2 down as they were turning "male" apparently ...

Put 2 more in , both got killed by black ants that carry in and farm some sort of white sap eating white bugs . ( aphids )

But another one grew wild and it is going strongly.... it aint really in the most ideal spot , but papaya are extremely difficult to move , so I'll just let it grow.
    Some of the neighbours wild ones are monsters and they just chuck us some whenever we ask.
    Same for bananas.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Bummer , Ive been trying to grow some here in tropical Woolongong 55 one plant is about 1.5 mt tall and quiet thick and just sprouted some white flowers . Im not expecting much but I love paw paw so would be a bonus to get some fruit of it .
    Lady Finger (stink finger) Bananas seem to grow well here surprisingly.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Ol mate had a huge avocado tree at CM and use to give them away when it was bearing. Use to have it with and on a lot of stuff but no luck getting one to grow at the house.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    We cut the last 2 down as they were turning "male" apparently ...

Put 2 more in , both got killed by black ants that carry in and farm some sort of white sap eating white bugs . ( aphids )

But another one grew wild and it is going strongly.... it aint really in the most ideal spot , but papaya are extremely difficult to move , so I'll just let it grow.
    Some of the neighbours wild ones are monsters and they just chuck us some whenever we ask.
    Same for bananas.
    Dean, we still have offspring from bangmuds lady finger bananas growing here, did ok 1st year when we re-transplanted from Issan, not so good since. But pawpaw ... oh my buddha, you would not believe the size and volume of fruit this year from one year old plants.... Jo brought seed from Issan and we mixed termite mound soil with local clay/loam and the past wet season saw them shoot up.

Ian Forbes, obes and Hatari like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Amazing the difference a change in soil makes. I don't live far from the ocean, and after every storm I go down to the beach with my truck and collect seaweed, which I then put in my compost soil to rot. All the nutrients in the seaweed grows everything much bigger and stronger than commercial fertilizers.
    Zablive and obes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Dean, we still have offspring from bangmuds lady finger bananas growing here, did ok 1st year when we re-transplanted from Issan, not so good since. But pawpaw ... oh my buddha, you would not believe the size and volume of fruit this year from one year old plants.... Jo brought seed from Issan and we mixed termite mound soil with local clay/loam and the past wet season saw them shoot up.

WOW !
    They're real beauties .
    Theres one over the fence here like that ... we dont grow them so big but there are different types obviously.

Banned
    And I agree btw , that Jack fruit isnt really a consumer favourite .
    We have a beauty in our garden , and it develops a lot of fruit , but apart from the tg and the land lady , no one else eats them. Most of the fruit grows down low at knee level btw. Maybe thats because they keep hacking the top off ...
    Dunno.
    There are different types of Jack fruit, some taste very so so, but others taste very nice. My wife never buys it as she says you don't know until you taste it if its any good, but once you know a tree that produces the good type it always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Ol mate had a huge avocado tree at CM and use to give them away when it was bearing. Use to have it with and on a lot of stuff but no luck getting one to grow at the house.
    I grew one from seed but it died at half a meter and 6 months.

Somebody said I need to buy a grafted one from near CM ...grafted are supposed to be a lot tougher.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar

Somebody said I need to buy a grafted one from near CM ...grafted are supposed to be a lot tougher.
    How much do avocados cost in LOS?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

^ I think it use to be around 70 baht/kilo.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 13th March 2018 at 06:46.

Platinum

The reason for grafting is, usually, to have a disease resistant rootstock onto which you can graft a delicious/good yielding fruit ("scion").

But you cannot just take a seed from the combined grafted plant and grow a new plant - it will not have all the properties of the old plant.

When I was younger (a long time ago!) we used to get all our apples from one of the local apple orchards (Cox orange pippins were ones I remember but there were other varieties). Nowadays many of the orchards have been dug up and apples are imported from abroad with the most important characteristics being long life and uniformity - not taste. I remember one of the farmers explaining this to me - there was much else that I wish I had remembered.

My step grandmother was half French and had a damson plum tree in her garden. She used to make the most marvellous plum tart (actually a mirabelle plum tart although the plums were damson). Mirabelles are slightly smaller and sweeter then damsons and Lorraine is famous for them (Alsace / Lorraine is the bit of France near Germany which swapped over sides several times).

If you do get some good fruit I can recommend trying a tarte tartin - a really quite simple dish. Take a small/medium frying pan, caramelise butter and sugar and then put in slices of [apple - it is classically apple but you can use other fruits]. Cook briefly then cover with puff pastry and bake for half an hour in the oven. Take out of the oven, cover with a plate and turn upside down and voila!

I've just realised - I'm becoming like Forbes!
    Quarky, Ian Forbes and Cuzzy like this.

I went halves in 6 kg of CM advos...
    Never again.
    They were the small wrinkly black skin type , and it was REALLY hard to tell when they were ripe , ( and yes I know how to test them ) .
    When you opened a ripe one they went brown in a few hours .. even smelt bad as opened.
    80 baht a kg.

We returned from our NZ trip with 65kg of baggage (15kg short of allowance), of which 1/3 was foodstuffs. Corned beef, kilo block cheeses, cereals, jams, Pic's peanut butter, parsnips and fruit. Blood plums from Nelson's farmers market just like olden day fruit grown in a backyard ... sweet and juicy! Jo took great delight in raiding a roadside apple tree, and damn near filled the car with crisp tasty apples albeit on the small side ... wouldn't sell commercially, but oh boy they tasted great. Kid in a candy shop >

Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    I went halves in 6 kg of CM advos...
    Never again.
    They were the small wrinkly black skin type , and it was REALLY hard to tell when they were ripe , ( and yes I know how to test them ) .
    When you opened a ripe one they went brown in a few hours .. even smelt bad as opened.
    80 baht a kg.
    I adore avocado pears. But, like you, am frustrated by them. I rarely seem to get it right and open one when "just so". They always seem to be either too woody in texture or a brown mush.

I find it very discombobulating and I think it is a knack, even a skill, in choosing one correctly (one I don't possess and seem incapable of grasping).

My daughter is an expert and I once had a (Farang) girlfriend who, believe it or not, would guide me around the market, pick a couple of avocados for us, roll them around between her palms, nick the skin and squeeze the flesh out like a Mother Nature devised smoothie into our mouths. Tasted fabulous but, try as I might over the intervening years, nay decades, since - I have never been able to replicate her almost casual exploitation of the blasted things.

'Twas she who also taught me how to suck the fresh raw eggs (roe) from uncooked Gambas (King Prawns) which I would ordinarily have discarded but in which is locked so much wonderful flavour and pleasing texture and also why it is not necessary to cook moules (mussels). Just slice through their tail-end, prise open the shell and tongue-spoon the tasty flesh into my mouth.

I can still do the Gamba roe and the Moules but the Avocados remain a mystery to me and I refuse anymore to buy them as I can't bear the almost perpetual disappointment.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    My neighbor used to have a great cherry tree that hung over my fence. If I wasn't away fishing when they got ripe I could forget myself on them. Unfortunately, my neighbor cut it down to make a place to park his boat. However, many of the falling cherries turned into seedlings that eventually grew into trees. Unfortunately, the trees are wild stock with tiny fruit. I am seriously thinking of grafting some domestic stock onto the trees to get some real cherries in several varieties.

My mate must've been lucky as all the avo's that came off his tree were perfect even after days in the fridge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast