The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Fruit in Thailand

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Fruit in Thailand

As we all know Thailand has many choices when it comes to eating fruit, many of the fruit we do not get back in our home countries. Here are some pics of fruits I saw for sale at a market in Phuket, fruit seems to cost more in Phuket, the prices quoted are about double of what they were in Samui.

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    I think everything costs more in Phuket..
    Dragon fruit i love we buy the odd one here at about 5.00 each...
    Saw feijoa's the other day in coles 2.00 each hard to get here but if are a Kiwi you would prob pay..

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    How many you buy Wabbits ? 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    One of the best things about our trips to Thailand is the fruit. Always fresh and nice. Watermelon shakes, mango sticky rice, yuuummm....
    G4orce likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    In my view the best way to start to learn Thai. Food food food. Pleasantness aside. I forget the last time I said fish sauce. But 3 seconds ago was get that stinky fis outside. AKA Piglet Fish
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    These are delicious... can never remember their name though...

Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Mangosteen are ~35 to 40 bt/kg in CM, and absolutely delicious! Pity they don't have feijoa's here as I love them... rotting on the ground in NZ at the moment!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Its Durian time of the year .
    This is the time you see ladies forever stopping to press the flesh of a kidney shaped chunk of the stuff .... and you pass garbage bins reeking of its skins and leftovers.
    The Thais say the firts letter as a 'T' as in Turian.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Actually saw Durian for sale at a Woolies in Newmarket when in Melbourne in March.

TG loves fruit , so first trip together there, I tried the majority of the fruits, some I like and some I don't.

When TG here last trip we picked up some of these Durian Sticks at the Canning Vale Asian store, they are not bad.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Lychee's (pronounced lin-chee by Thai's) are in abundant supply, from 30 BT a kg up to 100 BT for the big sweet ones.

Growers have set up a long temporary stall beside the moat for selling their produce - 20,000 rai of lychee's grown around CM although much was destroyed by the high temps a few months ago.

Mangoes are falling off trees and left to rot, all around CM. I grab one or 2 green ones off local trees for Jo, she loves them with nam pla and salt... good source of VitC.

Durian we love, especially frozen like icecream or as a thick-shake.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Lychee's (pronounced lin-chee by Thai's) are in abundant supply, from 30 BT a kg up to 100 BT for the big sweet ones.

Growers have set up a long temporary stall beside the moat for selling their produce - 20,000 rai of lychee's grown around CM although much was destroyed by the high temps a few months ago.

Mangoes are falling off trees and left to rot, all around CM. I grab one or 2 green ones off local trees for Jo, she loves them with nam pla and salt... good source of VitC.

Durian we love, especially frozen like icecream or as a thick-shake.
    Rob, do they grow Mandarins in Thailand, and if so whats the pricing comapred to OZ?
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 9th June 2012 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Rob, do they grow Mandarins in Thailand, and if so whats the pricing comapred to Ox?
    Yes they do, although we seldom buy as Jo prefers semi-sour tasting, why she married me I s'pose. We buy mangosteen and small, not-as-sweet lychees instead. The last time I bought 2 kg of mandarins for 50bt, was in Isaan off the back of a truck, they were rotten 2 days later.

I like Thai oranges (som) which are hard to peel and often juiced - market vendors water down and add sugar, better to juice at home!

I'll check mandarin pricing later at market.

Cheers, Rob.

I can just magine working in that Durian factory AM....

Maybe someone can clarify what Im eating when handed some here in Phuket...
    They resemble a greenish/orange hard Mandarin to me and not an orange at all.
    Just to prove that to me , there were big round orange Oranges in Big C the other day at 30 baht each.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I can just magine working in that Durian factory AM....

Maybe someone can clarify what Im eating when handed some here in Phuket...
    They resemble a greenish/orange hard Mandarin to me and not an orange at all.
    Just to prove that to me , there were big round orange Oranges in Big C the other day at 30 baht each.
    They are a variety of orange, as my pic above shows, often referred to as tangerines, though tangerines normally have an easy peel skin like mandarins and a bright red/orange colour.

Australian oranges are sold throughout Thailand.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cheers, Rob.

Mandarin season starts around October and runs thru to March which accounts for nil found at markets today. Even Tops Supermarket who carry a lot of imported produce had only local seedless oranges @ 169 BT a kg!

Lychees are creeping up in price as supply dwindles.... now start @ 40 BT kg

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob,Mandarins here at the moment are superb, got 2 for $1 today at the local IGA , and tasted divine. Previously just purchased without really checking the price, thought they might haver been a bit cheaper than that though, but won't stop me eating them.

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengslay View Post
    Hi Rivo,
    Agree with you that in Thailand you can found almost every fruit which you cannot found in your homeland. Just curious what is the name of the fruit in picture number one. Just a thought if you will tag the pictures with fruits name it will be easy for others to judge which fruit is this as people from all over the world may watch your threat.
    Star Fruit?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Pic number 1 is called 'Mah Furung' or 'Mahfoorung in Thai... here there is a sweet variety and a sour one.

Its also called Carambola as well .... ( and Star Fruit as DP said)

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

4 May 2016

When actress Jessica Chastain dropped by the show of Jimmy Kimmel, she made sure her presence will be an unforgettable one, so she decided to give Kimmel a taste of her favorite fruit - durian.

Durian fruit notorious for its strong odor has thick and succulent flesh that is rich in vitamin C.

"They call it the bleu cheese of fruit," says the Huntsman: Winter's War actress as she introduced the fruit to Kimmel.

"I love it though! It tastes like onions, garlic, avocado and pineapple in a custard," she added.

The actress fell in love with durian, a fruit famous in Southeast Asia when she visited Singapore and Thailand.

Kimmel who thought Chastain is playing a prank could not believe that he's actually going to try the fruit.

"Oh my god, it attacked me," says Kimmel after cracking open the Asia's king of fruit.

Even after Chastain devoured a pinch of the fruit, he was reluctant to try it himself.

Last edited by Hatari; 9th May 2016 at 15:52.
    Distantpeak and PeteGill like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast