Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Favourite Thai/Issan Meal

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Favourite Thai/Issan Meal

What is your favourite Thai/Issan Meal?

Mine used to be Pad Grapao Gai (chicken), but I have ventured out and tried many new things and have to say I now have an Obession with Laab Moo (pork) with Khao Neao (Sticky Rice). Laab has a lot of different flavour (compared to western food) and I have to admit I did not like it the first time i tried it. It has Mint, Corriander, Lemon, Onion, Powdered rice, Fish sauce and a lot of Chilli (of course). IMO it makes a great combination and being able to eat it with your hands and the Sticky Rice just tops it off in my book.

I found when in Thailand there were days where we would eat this for 3 meals a day and then I was introduced to Laab Tort. This is the same thing but it has been deep fried. It is different to the standard Laab but still have the same flavours. These are Traditionary Issan dishes, but I have been able to find them in most Thai Restaurants these days.

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    What is your favourite Thai/Issan Meal?

Mine used to be Pad Grapao Gai (chicken), but I have ventured out and tried many new things and have to say I now have an Obession with Laab Moo (pork) with Khao Neao (Sticky Rice). Laab has a lot of different flavour (compared to western food) and I have to admit I did not like it the first time i tried it. It has Mint, Corriander, Lemon, Onion, Powdered rice, Fish sauce and a lot of Chilli (of course). IMO it makes a great combination and being able to eat it with your hands and the Sticky Rice just tops it off in my book.

I found when in Thailand there were days where we would eat this for 3 meals a day and then I was introduced to Laab Tort. This is the same thing but it has been deep fried. It is different to the standard Laab but still have the same flavours. These are Traditionary Issan dishes, but I have been able to find them in most Thai Restaurants these days.
    Sorry I still enjoy a bowl of beef and noodle soup. Simple tastes

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Sorry I still enjoy a bowl of beef and noodle soup. Simple tastes
    Same Cilla.... but pork!
    Something about it on a hot day how it's so refreshing.

It's funny G4... when I saw you started this thread I already knew what your dish would be! 555
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I'm quite partial to fish homok. Don't really have a favourite though.

Pad kapow, khao soy, pad see ew, even the ubiquitous pad thai. The list goes on. Probably easier to list what I don't like.

I'm not that keen on banana roti. Is that even Thai?

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    I'm quite partial to fish homok. Don't really have a favourite though.

Pad kapow, khao soy, pad see ew, even the ubiquitous pad thai. The list goes on. Probably easier to list what I don't like.

I'm not that keen on banana roti. Is that even Thai?
    Indian influence I believe......

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Got caught out in BKK. Out for lunch and had to go to loo, A ordered for me, "Pork ok chai mai ". "Fine fine" I say and rush off. Come back and food ready, aroy mak. When I asked what it was she showed me the menu and pointed, "Pork balls and pork intestines" I say, just a big smile from A. Aroy mak, starting to try new things now after that. Somethings not quite yet......
    Nomad likes this.

Jo makes the most amazing soups which have to be eaten with a combination of spoon, fork and fingers. Her Tom Yum Goong is just awesome, so full of flavour(s) and not so phet phet that you can't disseminate each one.

Another one, equally as tasty and made with meaty pork bones, is Tom Sap Moo.

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Not so much the food but the atmosphere for me.

So different from BKK to real Issan.

"Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Ant control noted ... Isaan was bad but I think CM is even worse! What was being dried... fish or chili ... ?

I love cooking over charcoal on those claypot bdq's, so versatile I think they'd be a big hit in the west, but too heavy to ship Do any TG's in Oz use the lightweight hubcap/Isaan suki cookers?

I've seen some Korean-style solid brass hubcab/hibachi cookers (also woks) similar to this > Want To Korean Barbeque A Brass Monkey? This Is What To Use | Estate Store The ones I've seen are highly polished and fairly expensive, also expensive to ship!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Ant control noted ... Isaan was bad but I think CM is even worse! What was being dried... fish or chili ... ?

I love cooking over charcoal on those claypot bdq's, so versatile I think they'd be a big hit in the west, but too heavy to ship Do any TG's in Oz use the lightweight hubcap/Isaan suki cookers?

I've seen some Korean-style solid brass hubcab/hibachi cookers (also woks) similar to this > Want To Korean Barbeque A Brass Monkey? This Is What To Use | Estate Store The ones I've seen are highly polished and fairly expensive, also expensive to ship!

Ant control was for the silk worms
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Do any TG's in Oz use the lightweight hubcap/Isaan suki cookers?
    Like this one Rob?

About $40 in Springvale

$40 just for an ally hubcap? Crikey, anyone want one sent over, let me know.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Wabbits does ! This i know for sure ! 555 Mrs W spotted some at the markets one day and started running off into the distance ! we looked at eachother and followed to find what got her excited ! She had spotted them from about 100 paces away 555
    wabbits and Mrs W like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    $40 just for an ally hubcap? Crikey, anyone want one sent over, let me know.
    Yeah I am after one of those, What would it cost to send over?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Should be able to get at a bigger Asian market not to hard otherwise the next best thing or maybe better is the Korean BBQ that is electric.
    Big bowl for soup and a flat BBQ disc in the centre.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Some very tasty fish from the local klong with china noodles out near the Laos border. 2012-08-04 20-27-35 (Large).jpg

Noodle soup with red pork and wontons mai phet and green curry phet nid noi my favourites.

Some very tasty fish from the local klong with china noodles out near the Laos border. 2012-08-04 20-27-35 (Large).jpg

Noodle soup with red pork and wontons mai phet and green curry phet nid noi my favourites.
    Quarky likes this.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:13.

Worst thing about eating Thai food regularly is that it makes your breath stink. Some of the girls are terrible and farangs too!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Worst thing about eating Thai food regularly is that it makes your breath stink. Some of the girls are terrible and farangs too!
    We go through ~ 1kg of garlic each week ... the small local ones sure are powerful, phet phet, but Jo loves eating them raw with meals.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast