Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thai Cooking

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Thai Cooking

Just started my Own Herb Garden at home from when the GF comes in June and was wondering if BMs could give us some names of Herbs and Spices (English and Thai). Also if you could give me some insite to some other things they use in there cooking. I want to have a look down at the local Asian Supermarket and buy a few things and start cooking myself

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    chilli, basil, lemongrass, fishsauce, palm sugar

Gary, get those basic recipes out of 'Private Dancer'.... easy dishes and has the core ingredients of most dishes.... we'll take you shopping when Thip gets back, you will need to know where to find the shops in Springvale....

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Gary, get those basic recipes out of 'Private Dancer'.... easy dishes and has the core ingredients of most dishes.... we'll take you shopping when Thip gets back, you will need to know where to find the shops in Springvale....
    Thanks for that. Mum works there and was going to take me for a look around, but think it will be a better idea going with someone that already knows what the go is there. I will have to buy a copy of Private Dancer I guess. been putting it off as i am not sure if it was going to put those thought in my head. Last think I need is more worrying 5555

I'll print off the recipes for you.... its a good story, and one that could put a lot of doubt in your head

I'll print off the recipes for you.... its a good story, and one that could put a lot of doubt in your head
    Thanks, like i said I don't need any more reason to worry over.... Might read a year or so down the track

Mushroom Soy, but not a Chinese one! This one >Healthy Boy Soy Sauce with Mushrooms for Thai cooking at MyThaiGrocery.com.<
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 25th February 2011 at 20:01.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Thanks Rob, I like the idea of an Online shop as well. I am an Ebay freak at time 5555

I didn't mean to suggest buying online, that was just a pic of the product so you can hunt for it in Asian stores... it's available here. Must be THAT brand... it makes ALL the difference.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Oyster sauce a must. Garlic and ginger. Those dried mushrooms from the Asian section of Woolies perfect for fried noodles yuummmm my favorite. Dried chili you can get there also. Mrs W gets the dry chili and fries it in a bit of oil then bok boks into almost a chili paste just a little dryer. She says i should not use so much fresh chili as it tends to send you to the loo more!!!!

You will need to get a clay mortar and pestle not sure what you call them and a Sticky rice hat and alloy pot that goes with it.
    Anyone know the correct name??

mate I have that much Kapao (Thai Basil) ATM I could feed half of Melbourne.... and you can plant it straight in the ground if its fresh, and it shoots

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest buying online, that was just a pic of the product so you can hunt for it in Asian stores... it's available here. Must be THAT brand... it makes ALL the difference.
    Nah I know what you meant but I do like the idea of buying online, But i guess its more of an experience to go with the GF and look around and whatnot. I also know what you mena buy the brands thing. You don't want to buy a Westernised product as it changes the flavour all together. This is the sort of Info I am after. The Online shopping can be a backup if I can't find it in the supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post

Sticky rice hat and alloy pot that goes with it.
    are you talking the weaved basket type?

Oyster sauce a must. Garlic and ginger. Those dried mushrooms from the Asian section of Woolies perfect for fried noodles yuummmm my favorite. Dried chili you can get there also. Mrs W gets the dry chili and fries it in a bit of oil then bok boks into almost a chili paste just a little dryer. She says i should not use so much fresh chili as it tends to send you to the loo more!!!!

You will need to get a clay mortar and pestle not sure what you call them and a Sticky rice hat and alloy pot that goes with it.
    Any brand Oyster Sauce? i have the motar and Pestle, But not the Sticky rice hat thingo 555. I know what it looks like as we used one in BKK, no idea of the name either 555

mate I have that much Kapao (Thai Basil) ATM I could feed half of Melbourne.... and you can plant it straight in the ground if its fresh, and it shoots
    I got some Thai Basil from the Garden store. I was not sure what basil to get but thought I could not go wrong with Thai Basil, might have to pinch some off you just to make sure 555

Free download here of Private Dancer...

http://www.stephenleather.com/private-dancer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Free download here of Private Dancer...

http://www.stephenleather.com/private-dancer.pdf
    Thanks for that. i might just have to give it a read after all

Mrs M.

I just thought would add the oyster sauce G4 >_<. The wabbits beat me !! 55

I am not a very good cook but I get by and Mr M. easy enough to eat pretty much anything I create.

I know from Mr M that there are many Asian live in Melbourne. Its should not be too hard finding an asian shop who sale lot and lot of Thai ingredient, oyster sauces, fish sauce, soy sauce, Dried chilli, chilli paste (red, green, panaeng, massaman, etc.).

I quite often get recipe from this site Kruaklaibaan. Its a Thai web site but you can look at the pictures, and also you can show to your GF, There are many of people who sharing their recipe on this site live in Farang country. So you might find some new interesting recipe, what they put in the food to make it taste alike real Thai one (Because the asian shop do not have everything) and also some short cuts >_< It save time and come out pretty good.

But I am sure that most of the girls already are good cooks. They started cooking since they are a little girl.

Kaffir lime leaf is also use often, But don't worry too much when she get here and you find some good Thai friends for her. She will go from there. I never buy chilli and did not grow neither, but from my good friends. But its still good to grow your own and again it need good care >_< and its not easy for me.

And sorry Wabbits I can't help, do not know the name for the sticky rice hat, but you give it pretty cool name already.. Sticky rice hat ^_&, I got one too and from now on will call it "Sticky rice hat". Seem like JC is a good teacher for Thai language ^_^.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^I cant wait for Mrs W to come back as i have not learned how to make sticky rice yet.
    Ymmmm Sticky rice, deep fried beef strips with garlic chili fish sauce for dipping. Same same market in LOS
    Kow pat gai is such a simple dish but one of my favs...but do you think i can cook it...does not come close 555555
    Though i do a mean fried noodles now..nearly up to Thai stds... well maybe not55555

Had Kate Cerbrano tell me that I had cooked the best Pad Thai she had ever tasted

I have a few cooking skills myself but have never cooked Thai food. I am lucky in the way that Noy is a very good cook and she is willing to teach me. There are a few Asian Supermarkets around so dont think I will have an issue with finding things. I have a guy I work with who has a tree that grows Kaffir Limes, so thats another bonus for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast