Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: When buying in bulk doesn't pay...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

When buying in bulk doesn't pay...

I often buy in bulk and I save a lot of money that way, but, sometimes my frugality doesn't work... like when I buy a bottle of cooking oil or a one litre tub of margarine. IT GOES OFF and becomes rancid if not used quickly enough! I used some year old Canola oil when making Nanaimo bars...WRONG! I could smell something was wrong as soon as I put them in the oven and had to throw the whole batch out. It was the same last night when I fried fresh mushrooms in old margarine. And, it WAS the top quality margarine and not the cheap stuff. I'm going to toss out the unused portion or feed it to the bush rats. The same is true for one particular brand of peanut butter. I went OFF and is inedible. I used to buy milk by the litre, but I don't use it much except for my cereal which I only eat once or twice a week. Although it's more expensive in small quantities, I now only buy a half litre of milk.

By contrast, I had a 6 month old pound of butter, and until I ate it all, it was still as good as it was last October. Some bread rolls I had in the freezer dried out so much I could use them for hockey pucks. Honey lasts forever and the lemon juice I use in my water is still fine 7 months after I bought it.
    I love sharp cheddar cheese and I use it in many meals. Cheese in Canada is at least half the price that it is in Thailand, and much better quality. Although cheese will quickly turn mouldy once the vacuum seal is broken, I still buy the big blocks of cheddar, but I freeze what I don't need right away. I have a good idea how much I'm going to use each week, so I cut off what I need and put the remainder in the freezer. Most cheese changes texture in the freezer and crumbles when sliced, but most often I just grate my cheese anyway.
    However, there is a new product sold in some Canadian hardware stores. They are re-useable vacuum seal bags that can be opened and closed again. The bags have a sturdy zip-lock seal and a little pump that removes the air. I've used them for smoked salmon and should work for cheese.
    Shortening seems to last forever without going off. I use it to grease the griddle or my wok.

Win some, lose some.

Nothing lasts long enough around Jo to ever go off!
    She loves cheese (strange for a TG) and we do same same, cut into chunks and freeze - texture ok if thawed slow in fridge and wrapped in baking paper whilst 'in-use'.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I just roasted 3 chickens in the oven... 2 hours at 350 degrees. Right now I'm eating the legs of all 3. The remainder will go into the freezer for later. I'm off tomorrow for the weekend and won't be doing any cooking for 4 days. My friends spoil me with fabulous meals while I'm there.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Nothing keeps around here.

I would give most foods a day at most and they go off.

Its reflected in the packaging. You need to be superman to open a packet of chips ( crisps ).
    You then have 30 minutes to eat them , or they go soft.
    You have 5 minutes to finish them, or the ants will.
    Last edited by Chob; 12th April 2013 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Nothing keeps around here.

I would give most foods a day at most and they go off.

Its reflected in the packaging. You need to be superman to open a packet of chips ( crisps ).
    You then have 30 minutes to eat them , or they go soft.
    You have 35 minutes to finish them, or the ants will.
    555 ... they just don't make oil, preservatives, colouring, sodium, sugar, msg and potato the way it used to be!

Makro sell NZ and Danish butter @ 85bt a block... buy in bulk and can keep in freezer 100% no change.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Yes Ian, I agree buying in bulk is good most of the time.
    When living on my own I found I wasted a lot of fruit & Veg's. What I do do is by a 1/2 leg ham, $30, slice it all up and put it in freezer bag's in amounts for 2-3 sandwiches, lasts me about a month. I also got great whole rumps, Tasmanian, and sliced free, I then cut the big slices into 2 or 3 pieces and froze them, again lasted me for a month or more, $60. I like my steak every 2nd day.

The thing is, for example with the ham, I was paying $6.99=7.99 a kilo for on the bone ham, or I could go to the deli and pay $16 a kilo for processed ham and the taste difference .... no brainer. Yes I was paying for the weight of the bone and skin but still way out in front.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Cadet Gold
    The only thing i buy in bulks is Tissue Paper when on sale.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I'm a fan of Makro's 100 day lot fed ribeye from OZ.
    Buy the whole cube roll and slice into regular steaks and breakfast/steak sandwich size, wrap well and freeze.

EDIT: To keep the Xmas ham in the fridge for a few days get a canvas ham bag, soak first in a solution of 50 ml vinegar to 500ml water and store the ham in the fridge in this - never in plastic.
    Re-soak the bag every day.
    Last edited by Zablive; 12th April 2013 at 21:14.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ and hand cream to go with the tissues no doubt Johnnie.....555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Kamagra gel can never have enough 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Kamagra gel can never have enough 5555
    I dunno , palettes of those are getting a bit expensive lately...

I recommend buying by the barrel straight from the manufacturer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I just roasted 3 chickens in the oven... 2 hours at 350 degrees. Right now I'm eating the legs of all 3. The remainder will go into the freezer for later. I'm off tomorrow for the weekend and won't be doing any cooking for 4 days. My friends spoil me with fabulous meals while I'm there.
    This goes against all the science to have a long life...55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    This goes against all the science to have a long life...55
    True, but I'll exercise it off today with a nice hike up a local mountain. This "hill" over looks the valley I live in. I can see my home from the top.

^Where is the snow? Spring has come early... 555. Looks majestic....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team