The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 229 of 231 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 4609
Like Tree2446Likes

Thread: What are you eating ?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ looks fantastic not sure about the sweets with the cheese though , but it takes allsorts ..
    you are a very Punny Boy Khun SE...555
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    It's a Filipina thing.... everything has to have something sweet......just like Thais have spicy ...555
    It was very "artistically" arranged. Almost too nice to break up the arrangement to eat it.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    It's a Filipina thing.... everything has to have something sweet......just like Thais have spicy ...555
    Wheres the rice and lechon?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Wheres the rice and lechon?
    On the other table........55
    sidvicious likes this.

Curried frog and chicken soup; we bought, 3 sticks, 6 frogs, of slightly bbq frog for THB100 (expensive I'm told) in Phrae market; the Auntie cooked with mint, fresh pepper corms, green ginger and some round veg that looks like gob stoppers; she removes the mouth and feet before chopping; its not meaty but very tasty; the chicken wings in soup with slices of like marrow and veg with Knor stock and of course Jasmine rice from Tesco's own, THB169 / 5kg offer. Washed down with red Celebration wine.
    The background accompaniment: 5 monks chanting for the 3rd day after an elderly neighbour passed away. The MIL and her 2 sisters and neighbour disappeared at 7pm, into the night dressed like ninjas for the evening at the deceased!!
    Distantpeak likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    Curried frog and chicken soup; we bought, 3 sticks, 6 frogs, of slightly bbq frog for THB100 (expensive I'm told) in Phrae market; the Auntie cooked with mint, fresh pepper corms, green ginger and some round veg that looks like gob stoppers; she removes the mouth and feet before chopping; its not meaty but very tasty; the chicken wings in soup with slices of like marrow and veg with Knor stock and of course Jasmine rice from Tesco's own, THB169 / 5kg offer. Washed down with red Celebration wine.
    The background accompaniment: 5 monks chanting for the 3rd day after an elderly neighbour passed away. The MIL and her 2 sisters and neighbour disappeared at 7pm, into the night dressed like ninjas for the evening at the deceased!!
    Sounds like you are well adapted to the locals, Mechime. I've tried a few of those things, but they don't suit my personal tastebuds. Everyone is different and hunger always makes the best sauce.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I used to point at a frog hopping across the lounge room floor at the tgs house and say , "Cob" ( the name sounds like "Cob" down in the south to me anyway)

The family would all giggle and say , "No , no iss not cob..."

The gf would chime in and say , "Ha , Khun Dee , we cannot eat that one."

The same happened with some different snakes and crabs...

It got so that after a while I decided that while the west had a plethora of ' scientific family classifications ' , the Thai had only two.

"Edible" ... and "non-Edible".
    Nomad, Ian Forbes, mechime and 1 others like this.

^^ The "gobstopper" veges found in Mechime's soup may well be "Makheun" or Thai baby eggplants..they are delicious..sometimes halved and quartered and if small enough (less than a pingpong ball size) left whole...

These are one of the main ingredient in a green curry...mostly green but sometimes with purplish streaks

mechime likes this.

^ Agreed !

When I first saw the smaller ones I thought they were peas.
    Love em.
    Love all of em.

Knowing how much I love the little ones , the Thai Lady puts them in lotsa meals for me now.
    I see her frown and she says stuff like , " Not really can sould ( should ) put in this one ( dish ) Khun Dee ..."
    I say , "Chuck em in darl , you know I love em same same you !"
    The frown turns in to a semi-concerned grin...

I scoff em all down and everything else on the plate and she likes to say , " Aww..Mai aloi NUH ?" ( Ohh.. not delicious , huh ? ... but is quietly thrilled .)

I used to steal Alices ( my grand daughters ) , but now shes decided she likes them to.

Theres no end of merit making in yer household in Thailand if you eat your womans cooking lustily and really mean it ...555

Here they are - the little beauties

bacwaan and Stillearly like this.

BTW - the 2nd pic is NOT how its presented. ( I thought just the left hand pic would appear )
    We obviously eat a lot of South Thai curries and they look way more like this ( with kow suai -rice beautiful - Seperate )

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ nicest one I've ever had was when visiting Sukothai , it was the only thing one restaurant served

I guess I should add that Im absolutely hopeless with remembering Thai food names !

Im refusing to look up the Thai name for the dish above to test myself ... I know si ( si - meaning 'colour' ) Keow is ( colour ) Green.
    Thais usually always add 'si' before saying the name of a colour ..
    But I know they drop it down here , as the dish is so common.
    I mean Green Curry is served by the Thai missus almost every second night as 1 of the 3 dishes she always puts out ...
    Geez IFH ( Im Fcukin Hopeless ) .... Keow Geng ?

Will check tomorra ..

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ nicest one I've ever had was when visiting Sukothai , it was the only thing one restaurant served
    THe Thais lust over this dish SE.

And I cant ever remember is name .

Oh - OH !

Keiow WAN!

Geang Keiow Wan?

The wan gets me - do they think its 'sweet' ? ( Wan = sweet/day / probably 5 other fcuking things ...555

Eat the chillies and see how 'sweet' it is ...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I used to point at a frog hopping across the lounge room floor at the tgs house and say , "Cob" ( the name sounds like "Cob" down in the south to me anyway)

The family would all giggle and say , "No , no iss not cob..."

The gf would chime in and say , "Ha , Khun Dee , we cannot eat that one."

The same happened with some different snakes and crabs...

It got so that after a while I decided that while the west had a plethora of ' scientific family classifications ' , the Thai had only two.

"Edible" ... and "non-Edible".
    Thai girl resolved the confusion about edible versus non-edible quickly..
    "If it lives in Thailand, cannot eat.. Because if can eat, we already kill them all" 555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

TBH I find all the Thai curries/soups which are based on coconut milk/cream to be a little sweet...Green Curry is probably in the middle along with massaman if they are well balanced..Tom Ka Gai is the sweetest to my taste..sometimes too much so...with Red + Penang more on the savoury side if properly chillied up...but still with a hint of sweetness..
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    TBH I find all the Thai curries/soups which are based on coconut milk/cream to be a little sweet...Green Curry is probably in the middle along with massaman if they are well balanced..Tom Ka Gai is the sweetest to my taste..sometimes too much so...with Red + Penang more on the savoury side if properly chillied up...but still with a hint of sweetness..
    I find them varied so much from who makes them

I loved all the curries from Ao's 1st restaurant but not that much from any other ones

^ Never found any 'mains' ( if you can call them that ) 'sweet here...

But then again I like 2 sugars in my coffee ...555

I do like me noodles.
    If I learnt one dish I like , it was Gee-oo Naam.
    I remember a crazy Norwegian making me take him to Soi 6 Pats many many years back , and after a very funny afternoon in some place called 'Red Spot' or something like that , deciding he was hungry and me ordering that dish.
    I ordered his 'mai ped' ( no spices ) and perhaps there was a tad , and him drinking a litre of water quickly after gutsing down the bowl.

Tommy was his name IIRC...
    Crazy man with his money ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ red point
    Cashpoint likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Green curry with evaporated milk instead of coconut milk,no lemon grass,plenty of those little eggplants and ease up on the chilli is one of my favs along with my lard na moo.!
    This one fed most of the village at my little blokes birthday party...no shortage of fibre there 55

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS