Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thai food for the brave ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    ^^ Like Yabbies?

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ same taste B.

i love the Aussie freshwater yabbies too.

quite unusual that these things can be found in deepest darkest isaan. local restaurant on the lake out back of CM has them sometimes too.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Banned
    ............post removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 10th June 2015 at 18:50.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 10th June 2015 at 18:50.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ that's the ones Fionn,very similar to our freshwater yabbies....and yes i did find them rather oily but delicious all the same.
    we bought them battered and cooked from the farm at bueng khong long.
    not sure if they just refer to them as some sort of "goong".

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Yabbies, love em. When my last TG guest was out here I told her about them and how we catch them.

"You have to take off your underwear and sit in the water until the goong come close and then I will catch them in a net", the look on her face was priceless.
    "We go catch now" was her reply 55 She loves hunting for food and fishing. That was the mountain girl.
    Last edited by 1080; 27th April 2015 at 02:11.
    justcruzing1 and pooyai like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I have a rule that I usually adhere to when it comes to food.

If it has hooves, scales, feathers or *****lips I might eat it.

If it crawls, slithers or croaks I'll run it over.

My days of bug eating are long gone. The last time I ate insects was a ant egg omelet. .. nup!!!
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 10th June 2015 at 18:49.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

One from Phuket as well

BBC sensationalising very old news. All the Isaan folk I have lived and eaten meals with only ever consume cooked fish. Often from dams, sun-dried and deep fried or steamed. My wife makes her own nam bpla prik and even the kepi is microwaved or fried before adding to the mix.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I had buffalo placenta without knowing what is was and as soon as I put it in my mouth I knew it was something I probably shouldn’t be eating. It wasn’t horrible but there was something about it that just wasn’t right.
    The ant egg and fish soup I have had was very tasty!
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holdthatthought View Post
    I had buffalo placenta without knowing what is was and as soon as I put it in my mouth I knew it was something I probably shouldn’t be eating. It wasn’t horrible but there was something about it that just wasn’t right.
    The ant egg and fish soup I have had was very tasty!
    Yeah nah..... I was a bit aprehensive about that ant eggs stuff when Au told me but it ain't to bad.

Today I am making Palak Paneer for my Indian boarding Parminder.

Pams skills in the kitchen are quite basic and not very adventurous. Pam makes chapati, and two or three other very basic dishes that taste the same because the same spices are used.

For me it is a real treat making curries for her. Pam being a vegetarian has it's challenges for me as I am a die hard carnivore but it is nice to cook for her.

So, I started with a basic gravy recipe:

tsp black peppercorns
    6 cloves
    6 green cardamom pods
    2 large onions finely chopped
    6 cloves garlic finely chopped
    2" fresh ginger finely chopped
    palm full of dry Kasoori methi (fenugreek) leaves or can use 1 tsp fenugreek seeds ground
    2 tsp cumin seeds ground... I dry fry them before grinding them, adds another layer to the flavour
    1 tsp coriander seeds ground ... again dry fried first
    hot green chilli to your taste.. I use 5 or 6, sometimes I use red chilli which is less stringent
    2 tsp salt or adjust to taste
    2 tsp garam masala
    2 bay leaves

a very large bunch of finely chopped spinach or silverbeet in todays recipe and of course about 300gms cubed paneer.

Heat oil to mid temp and add peppercorns, cloves and cardamom pods and stir until fragrant ( maybe 10 seconds )
    Add onions garlic, bay leaves, kasoori mehti, salt and ginger and cook until soft
    then add the rest of the ingredients.. I add about 5 Tbsp of plain yoghurt at the end to give it a nice tangy edge.

When the spinach or silverbeet has gone soft use a stick blender and turn it all into a slurry. The end result will look like a pot full of cow poo 555.

I top with more plain yoghurt and coriander leaves. Aroi mak mak.

As always, taste and adjust to suit. This time I found the ginger to be too benign so I added more later in the cooking. The problem was of course that after 1/2hr simmering there was a noticeable bitter after taste. What to do ??... I cranked the temperature up to a lively simmer for about an hour, reduced heat and added plain yoghurt. Boom... awesome.

I asked Pam to taste a number of times while it was cooking and she said 'oh maybe something a little more' 'like what' 'I don't know' 555.

The final result... Pam is most impressed. So impressed she phoned her family and told them 555.

Next time, a nice thick rib eye for me 555.
    kaptainrob likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Not many things I will not eat in Thailand, I love street food especially. Pappaya Salad (Thai hot, not farang hot)

Only farang food I eat is breakfast or maybe the occasional 7/11 sandwich in between meals.
    Cheers

Scottie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I've had those stink beans before and they are lovely. Not a fan of innards.

I'm surprised this didn't make the list. ซกเล็ก / Sok Lek. Raw beef, and sometimes tripe, mixed with some herbs and blood. I'm assuming there is some alcohol used in the preparation to kill any bacteria.

I like to joke around with the girls when we go to eat "let's get some sok lek". Have not found one so far who hasn't pulled a face. 😂

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12