Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thai food for the brave ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Thai food for the brave ....

I've not tried any of these , can't really see me going out of my way either ...

10 Hardcore Thai Food, Only for the Brave! - Phuket 101

Anyone's favourites in this list ?

#5 tam sua, aroi maak

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Nam Prik is good, I don't know why but foods that turn my stomach normally, like Baa Now (stinky Fish) I can eat when mixed with chili paste. I tried dragon fly larvae and a tiny frog dish the other day, not bad, but I won't be going back. 555 Try every thing twice i my motto.

I like Dipping Chilies in the that shrimp paste too you find at noddle stands. But alone the smell . . . bleh.
    Last edited by Cippy; 3rd August 2013 at 18:15.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I've had a go at most on the list...none of those dishes really my favourite Thai food but not that weird either

220412 010.jpg

I like the nom mai soup made from Bamboo shoots. As far as I can tell nam prik is just any chilli sauce they vary widely, the one they put the fermented fish (pla ra, sounds like pilar) in is the strongest smelling.

The list didn't mention gang pet noo. Get a rat, singe all the hair off, and lightly char as per pic. Mince the entire creature. Mix with chilly and red curry paste fry up and serve. No I draw the line at this one

#1, 3 and 4 are household favourites whenever ingredients are available.

No mai salad is made with a specially prepared, 3 times cooked bamboo shoot, and tua nou - dried bean curd, among other things ... love it!

Sataw [sato, stink beans] we like to eat raw and in salad or stir fry.

Kaeng som is a regular soup Jo makes with a hot southern paste sent up by mail.

It's worth noting that many Thai dishes like these are cooked according to each family preference, often too hot and/or sweet. Correct balance of flavour makes all the difference.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pooyai View Post
    220412 010.jpg

I like the nom mai soup made from Bamboo shoots. As far as I can tell nam prik is just any chilli sauce they vary widely, the one they put the fermented fish (pla ra, sounds like pilar) in is the strongest smelling.

The list didn't mention gang pet noo. Get a rat, singe all the hair off, and lightly char as per pic. Mince the entire creature. Mix with chilly and red curry paste fry up and serve. No I draw the line at this one
    That made me want to vomit....55555 Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    People always picture filthy sewer rat when they hear Thai eat them. Really, they live in the rice fields and are very clean tasting meat. I had it on several occasion and always thought it tasted good. The problem I had was they would chop through the bones and leave fragments, or the meat would be hanging off a sharp and jagged piece making it hard to get the meat off. I had the same problem with Chicken prepared that way.
    pooyai likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    People always picture filthy sewer rat when they hear Thai eat them. Really, they live in the rice fields and are very clean tasting meat. I had it on several occasion and always thought it tasted good. The problem I had was they would chop through the bones and leave fragments, or the meat would be hanging off a sharp and jagged piece making it hard to get the meat off. I had the same problem with Chicken prepared that way.
    That was my issue with the rat i had.....it was all chopped up wuth the bone in it
    I'd like to just try it BBQ'd

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I should have mentioned that these animals are trapped or shot in the fields but the fact it is a rat doesn't deter me, the mincing of bones and organs doesn't sit with me. I see them for sale in the market or side of road occasionally, more expensive than pork or chicken at about 160 per kilo. Like the snake head fish which is pretty gross looking also more expensive than pla nin which is good eating imo for instance

I don't care for the crazier Thai food and actually only started to care for Thai food a couple of years ago.

But what i do like i want as authentic as possible.
    Meaning as spicy as it should be and the authentic tastes

I can't stand Thai food that is dumbed down for a western palate

My wife's new restaurant is like this and I haven't found anything i like on the menu

Yes there was a common practice a few years back in Australia for the proprietors of Chinese restaurants to change over to Thai with the popularity. Or for the Thai restaurants to open and serve bland Thai food believing that would get the customers back (and probably did). However tom yum goong with canned tomato soup, coz that's what it tastes like, I would order that as a signature dish and if it wasn't spicy enough never go back. Thai food should be spicy hot, I'm not real convinced with the need to put 6 teaspoons of sugar in a bowl of noodles though but those condiments are add to taste in most small shops here. Even the fish cakes would be calmed down in Aus

South-eastern rat meat lovers should be aware of the massive imports from Cambodia, mainly ex Phnom Penh's rubbish dumps. Isaan's small local village markets are probably quite safe for home-grown rice paddy rat. Jo's cousins eat it bbq'd or curried but at least cook it elsewhere than our kitchen.

Thai food should be spicy hot yes, but also strike a balance of sweet/spicy/salty/sour. Hence condiments on the side to adjust to individual taste. Seems strange seeing a young Thai spreading copious amounts of tomato sauce, sugar and chili atop a pizza though.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Banned
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 13:40.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ya,i prefer my rat filleted
    Cuzzy likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by pooyai View Post
    Yes there was a common practice a few years back in Australia for the proprietors of Chinese restaurants to change over to Thai with the popularity. Or for the Thai restaurants to open and serve bland Thai food believing that would get the customers back (and probably did). However tom yum goong with canned tomato soup, coz that's what it tastes like, I would order that as a signature dish and if it wasn't spicy enough never go back. Thai food should be spicy hot, I'm not real convinced with the need to put 6 teaspoons of sugar in a bowl of noodles though but those condiments are add to taste in most small shops here. Even the fish cakes would be calmed down in Aus
    We actually have many Thai restaurants in US and Canada that serve proper Thai food. Actually I'd say my wife has been impressed more than she has been disappointed.
    Especially recently in NYC where there has been a big surge in Isaan restaurants and just authentic Thai restaurants.

My stepson and I were at my wife's restaurant the other day. Tyere were 3 people sitting next to us, 2 Canadian Chinese ladies and an older farang. Everything they ordered....they stressed "no chillies".....like really stressed it.
    Why even bother going to any type of restaurant if you are going to alter the food so much.

In the same breath I would get the ****s when my wife insisted on dumping half a bottle of chillie flakes on her spaghetti. She no longer does that, just a pinch, but it is the same concept to me. Dumping a ton of chilis on your spaghetti.....might as well just not go eat Italian

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It's worth noting that many Thai dishes like these are cooked according to each family preference, often too hot and/or sweet. Correct balance of flavour makes all the difference.
    Yup. We ended up with Som Tam from the local seller today that was far too sweet today. ..
    Definitely a personal preference

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Rat is ok.... Frog is wonderful.... Little birds are b1oody awful... they are like sparrows, maybe they are? But they are probably the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth. Awful stuff... I don't mind the insects at all EXCEPT for those big c0ckroach like things that live in the water... Now, they are ordinary....
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Banned
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 13:41.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    we've had some freshwater crayfish from a farm down the road from the house in isaan.

they had big pincher things on them (not claws) and taste very similar to the Aussie variety.
    battered and fried,my fav Thai food.

try and get a pic of them next time we have them.

possibly a bit like this...

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast