Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: So Now They're Drying Fish

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

So Now They're Drying Fish

A bit of background first.

My partner of nearly 5 years, Noi, is Isaan-born (Chumphae) but grew up in Sa Kaeo (just west of Cambodia).
    She has owned various businesses in Kabinburi, Bangkok and Patong and is a charming lady now speaking good English and until recently renting/selling Villas and Units at Tri Trang to foreigners at ridiculous prices ( but the TG owner went bust).

Her eldest niece (Yes, another one!) has moved into her younger sister's previous bedroom - a nice young girl of 23 who has a good housework ethic and pleasant demeanour - but her only English is what I have taught her this last week or so.

Noi has taken over a salon for a week while a "friend" has a holiday etc. so she's M.I.A.

This morning, while watching Landline I kept thinking " That's clever - the ABC Overseas now has SmelloVision".
    When they finished the prime lamb prices I wandered out to the patio and saw all these fish in open weave baskets hanging from the Thai-style Hills Hoist ( an elaborate bamboo structure tied up with plastic string).
    The source of the "SmelloVision" effects.

These were various types of anchovies to W.A. sardines in size, ungutted, heads-on and mouldering away with the occasional showers we get now as the SW Monsoons retreat.
    For added protein they were covered in black flies (something I rarely see here compared to my W.A. farming days) so I immediately checked all the screen doors and windows were shut tight.

I tried to ascertain if at least the non-English-speaking niece had salted the fish and used "pik thai" (pepper) to keep the flies away but my rudimentary Thai made no impression on an Isaan speaking lady from Nakhon Nowhere.
    I was tempted to phone the TG at work but then thought better of it as I sure as hell wont be eating any of their "stinky fish" dishes once the process is finished in 3-4 days? (Did I mention it is Wet Season?)
    AND they wont be cooked inside my baan nor stored in MY kitchen - EVER!

Tomorrow (tonight - not a good idea) I'll start a gentle discussion about the 6 months we spent looking with her (and a good mate while she was working) at all sorts of housing purchase possibilities on Phuket island - gee we found some "nooks and crannies." (mostly with the mate).
    And how we rejected some "bargains" because the lady next door was drying fish in commercial quantities on racks next to our windows on the breezy side.

You think that might be subtle enough?

Or will I also offer to pay the 20 baht (70 cents) extra a kilo for them to buy already dried fish (for cooking outside)?

Or just "chuck a Wobbly" ?
    Last edited by Zablive; 27th October 2013 at 01:39.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    i think whacking off in front of the 23yr old niece will be frowned upon 555

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i think whacking off in front of the 23yr old niece will be frowned upon 555
    Obviously "lost in translation" 555!

Besides, no-one has to "whack off" (themself) here in LOS - just sayin' ...

Chuck a Wobbly
    A fit of temper - spit the dummy
    chuck a wobbly
    verbal phrase: to have a temper tantrum

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Obviously "lost in translation".

Besides, no-one has to "whack off" here - just sayin' ...

Chuck a Wobbly
    A fit of temper - spit the dummy
    chuck a wobbly
    verbal phrase: to have a temper tantrum
    i know, i know
    i was just being fresh, as you elders would say

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ "getting fresh" with someone in OZlingo is the same as trying to "crack on"...in other words "flirting"

so are you sure you really sure you wanna get "fresh" with Baz Paulie??...555

I'm more attracted to the slim ones ...

but grew up in Sa Kaeo (just east of Cambodia).
    You mean west right?

Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    You mean west right?
    Yes 55!
    Eastern Thailand just west of Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    A bit of background first.

My partner of nearly 5 years, Noi, is Isaan-born (Chumphae) but grew up in Sa Kaeo (just east of Cambodia).
    She has owned various businesses in Kabinburi, Bangkok and Patong and is a charming lady now speaking good English and until recently renting/selling Villas and Units at Tri Trang to foreigners at ridiculous prices ( but the TG owner went bust).

Her eldest niece (Yes, another one!) has moved into her younger sister's previous bedroom - a nice young girl of 23 who has a good housework ethic and pleasant demeanour - but her only English is what I have taught her this last week or so.

Noi has taken over a salon for a week while a "friend" has a holiday etc. so she's M.I.A.

This morning, while watching Landline I kept thinking " That's clever - the ABC Overseas now has SmelloVision".
    When they finished the prime lamb prices I wandered out to the patio and saw all these fish in open weave baskets hanging from the Thai-style Hills Hoist ( an elaborate bamboo structure tied up with plastic string).
    The source of the "SmelloVision" effects.

These were various types of anchovies to W.A. sardines in size, ungutted, heads-on and mouldering away with the occasional showers we get now as the SW Monsoons retreat.
    For added protein they were covered in black flies (something I rarely see here compared to my W.A. farming days) so I immediately checked all the screen doors and windows were shut tight.

I tried to ascertain if at least the non-English-speaking niece had salted the fish and used "pik thai" (pepper) to keep the flies away but my rudimentary Thai made no impression on an Isaan speaking lady from Nakhon Nowhere.
    I was tempted to phone the TG at work but then thought better of it as I sure as hell wont be eating any of their "stinky fish" dishes once the process is finished in 3-4 days? (Did I mention it is Wet Season?)
    AND they wont be cooked inside my baan nor stored in MY kitchen - EVER!

Tomorrow (tonight - not a good idea) I'll start a gentle discussion about the 6 months we spent looking with her (and a good mate while she was working) at all sorts of housing purchase possibilities on Phuket island - gee we found some "nooks and crannies." (mostly with the mate).
    And how we rejected some "bargains" because the lady next door was drying fish in commercial quantities on racks next to our windows on the breezy side.

You think that might be subtle enough?

Or will I also offer to pay the 20 baht (70 cents) extra a kilo for them to buy already dried fish (for cooking outside)?

Barry after I explained indoctrination to Dao the reaction was look look look he post about his life. Jumping like a child to see you open up and not a short blunt comment!

That may have zero impact to your life but you hab a flend now.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Barry after I explained indoctrination to Dao the reaction was look look look he post about his life. Jumping like a child to see you open up and not a short blunt comment!

That may have zero impact to your life but you hab a flend now.
    Nah - under that tough exterior of hers I Knew I had a friend after she apologized following doing her " 'nana " at me 555!