Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain, obesity, diabetes . . .

Weight gain, obesity, diabetes . . .

The following article relates to Cambodia - however thought it was valid for Thailand - I wonder how many years ago - 15-20 maybe?, I don't know - that Thailand was facing similar, rapid changes in diet and all the problems that eventually follow.
    Progress? Cambodia following the same path as mush of the rest of the world.
    The last paragraph here - well we know that will not happen.

[SIZE="5"]Is Cambodia getting chunkier ?[/SIZE]
    Fri, 24 January 2014

Burger King opened its second Phnom Penh outlet this week. Its signature Whopper burger contains 660 calories.

Although an Oxfam study released last week claimed Cambodians to be the healthiest eaters in the world, obesity in the Kingdom is on the rise. What are the reasons for this, and how do the figures correlate?

From packaged Thai sweets to Whoppers from Burger King, which just opened its second outlet in Phnom Penh this week, unhealthy snacks have become more and more accessible in the Kingdom.

Between 2003 and 2008 alone, imports of soft drinks and sweets into Cambodia rose by a staggering 5,041 per cent and 24,334 per cent respectively, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). And along with the Whoppers and Haribo has come their less sugary cousin: widening waistlines and serious health problems.

According to a 2012 study, the percentage of Cambodians who are overweight jumped from nine per cent to 14 per cent for women and from seven per cent to 10 per cent among men between 2000 and 2008. Another study, conducted in 2010 by the Ministry of Health in collaboration with the WHO, found that 15.4 per cent of the country is overweight or obese.

Khims Sam Ath, WHO technical officer for non-communicable diseases in Cambodia, said that the proliferation of unhealthy food in the Kingdom could cause a major crisis.

“This is one of the causes for alarm of expected increase in the prevalence of obesity in the future,” he said.

In addition to the influx of unhealthy food, Cambodians have stopped moving around so much, taking up sedentary jobs in the city as opposed to rural work, said Ath.

“Globalisation and urbanisation make people tend to change their lifestyle – unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity lead to the development of people being overweight or obese,” he said.

“At the end they are living with chronic diseases such as heart disease, strokes, cancer, diabetes,” Ath said. According to Ministry of Health data, 5.6 per cent of Cambodian adults living in cities had diabetes in 2010.

An Oxfam study released last week announced that Cambodians are the healthiest eaters in the world with regards to obesity and diabetes risk. It added that Cambodia suffers from a shortage of quality food, thus preventing widespread obesity from emerging in the first place.

To complicate matters, some scientists believe that Cambodians are susceptible to diseases linked to obesity, such as diabetes and hypertension, at lower body mass indices (BMI) than Caucasians.

The food industry also has a role to play, said Sam Ath, by cutting down sugar, fat and salt content, making health foods more affordable and responsibly marketing junk food away from children.

Related reading:

Cambodia’s fresh challenges

Diabetes and its discontents
    According to the International Diabetes Federation, there were an estimated 212,000 diabetes sufferers in Cambodia in 2012, with almost another 134,000 estimated to be undiagnosed. The disease was responsible for more than 5,000 deaths last year (2012)
    Last edited by Hatari; 2nd February 2014 at 11:31.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    lol...the only people that are gonna get obese are the fat cats in the kingdom...who else can afford burger king whoppers....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I wonder what the stats are for Cambodian children who play computer games instead of exercising?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    All the handwringing and statistics in the world won't stop the lifestyle tsunami sweeping the globe.
    Well parts of rural Afghanistan and Mongolia might escape.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Article from last year

McDonald's McDouble Burger Named 'Cheapest, Most Nutritious Food In History' (POLL, VIDEO)

If you're looking for a nutritious meal that doesn't break the bank it might be worth heading over to McDonald's. At least that is what one man is claiming.

But while it might sound like a tall order, it has certainly got people talking.

The claim was made by Ralph Thomas to Freakonomics authors and radio broadcasters, who are known for showing 'the hidden side of everything' by fitting economics to popular culture.

His email read: "It has been my gut-level (sorry, pun) feeling for a while now that the McDonald’s McDouble, at 390 Calories, 23g of protein, 7 percent of daily fiber, 20 per cent of daily calcium and iron, etc., is the cheapest, most nutritious, and bountiful food that has ever existed in human history."

Commenting in the New York Times Kyle Smith says that those opposing the idea of the McDouble's nutritional worth, are ignoring the fact that it is great value-for-money for customers.

"The outraged replies to the notion of McDouble supremacy comes from the usual coalition of class snobs," he said.

"I say usual because these people are forever proclaiming their support for the poor and for higher minimum wages that would supposedly benefit McDonald's workers. But they're completely heartless when it comes to the other side of the equation: cost."

He added: "'For the average poor person, it isn’t a great option to take a trip to the farmers market to puzzle over esoteric lefty-foodie codes. (Is sustainable better than organic? What if I have to choose between fair trade and cruelty-free?) Produce may seem cheap to environmentally aware blond moms who spend $300 on their highlights every month, but if your object is to fill your belly, it is hugely expensive per calorie"

"Junk food costs as little as $1.76 per 1,000 calories, whereas fresh veggies and the like cost more than 10 times as much, found a 2007 University of Washington survey for the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. A 2,000-calorie day of meals would, if you stuck strictly to the good-for-you stuff, cost $36.32, said the study’s lead author, Adam Drewnowski."

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I wonder what the stats are for Cambodian children who play computer games instead of exercising?
    I'm no statistician, but I'd imagine those stats would correlate very closely to the percentage of children who own computers.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'm no statistician, but I'd imagine those stats would correlate very closely to the percentage of children who own computers.
    That would be a good start... But they can use the computer centers too.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Sort of biased against these type of articles..

While fast-food is a problem in the west, it is a problem because it is available and affordable..
    Fast-food is high on fats and carbohydrates, and contains an amount of protein as well..

When I worked in Africa, the biggest problem was protein-energy malnutrition..
    I gave little kids candy or biscuits, but a burger would have been much better.. It would have added to their shortage..

And I think the same goes for most of rural Cambodia..
    So the article stating Mc Donalds food healthy is right for the poorly fed...

And as said, most could not even afford a burger once, let alone routinely..

Diet is about the total of what you eat, and a good burger after weeks of rice and vegetables is not bad..

The chubbiness of BG's in Thailand is not a consequence of their food, but because of the liquor intake!

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post

The chubbiness of BG's in Thailand is not a consequence of their food, but because of the liquor intake!
    So why are they getting chubbier? Drinking more than their predecessors?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    So why are they getting chubbier? Drinking more than their predecessors?
    Buying Ladydrinks seems to be pushed a lot more these days , I don't remember the prices being any different to normal drinks when I first started visiting ( I didn't spend much time in GoGos ) and girls drank a beer or a Spy you never saw them drinking Tequila shots , they certainly wouldn't be trying to match the customer drink for drink to earn a little more

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    what would explain the girls that go overseas and balloon up?
    i would guess they are drinking a lot less than when they were bg's.....just eating more fattening food

Yeah.... I don't think it's just drink. You can see fat non working TGs everywhere in Bangkok. Especially outside fast western food joints... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i would guess they are drinking a lot less than when they were bg's.....just eating more fattening food
    From what I have seen here in Australia, drinking pints of beer with their partners would probably be a good start to it happening. Around Perth where I live I have seen many out drinking pints in pubs/bars and that includes the many foreign language students that are here.

I had older students stay at my home for a while. When they arrive, they would not even think about it, but after a few weeks and mixing with the locals and other races, they are regulars at the cheap beer pubs that cater for that crowd during the week. Next came having all their mates at my home for BBQ's etc at the weekend. Studying & their normal way of life, seemed to take a back seat after their freedom was given to them by leaving home.
    Last edited by chelski; 3rd February 2014 at 15:48.

Change of food pattern, sure..
    But there is something else when a girl moves to a colder climate..
    Body will have to start producing heat, which it hardly ever does in Thailand.
    So appetite changes because of that, and the desire of high energy food increases..

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yeah.... I don't think it's just drink. You can see fat non working TGs everywhere in Bangkok. Especially outside fast western food joints... 555
    Sure there is a big group of people who already are in to western food habits..

My remark was about the BG's, who eat rice and som tam everyday, but still get chubbier...

Change of food pattern, sure..
    But there is something else when a girl moves to a colder climate..
    Body will have to start producing heat, which it hardly ever does in Thailand.
    So appetite changes because of that, and the desire of high energy food increases..
    It would be a good study(research 555) to follow about 10 tg's in foreign lands and see if/how their diet changes
    i've seen some girls practially double but then others stay the same
    my wife actually loses weight in Canada and gains quite a few kilos when back in Thailand. i attribute that to working more and harder in Canada

It would be a good study(research 555) to follow about 10 tg's in foreign lands and see if/how their diet changes
    i've seen some girls practially double but then others stay the same
    my wife actually loses weight in Canada and gains quite a few kilos when back in Thailand. i attribute that to working more and harder in Canada
    You are probably right...
    The change in appetite I experience for myself every time I go to Thailand in winter time.. Just not hungry at all..
    But when I go in summertime, I can just switch from eating falang to eating Thai...

And the girl who came over here.. After 3 months, she was eating falang comfort food easy as...

You are probably right...
    The change in appetite I experience for myself every time I go to Thailand in winter time.. Just not hungry at all..
    But when I go in summertime, I can just switch from eating falang to eating Thai...

And the girl who came over here.. After 3 months, she was eating falang comfort food easy as...
    would the girl in a lot of it or just try it?

would the girl in a lot of it or just try it?
    At the end her favorite dish was Boeuff Bourginion... and she would eat as much as I cooked..555 (38 kg Thai girl..)

At the end her favorite dish was Boeuff Bourginion... and she would eat as much as I cooked..555 (38 kg Thai girl..)
    wow
    Ao is good eating western in that we don't have any problems with going out to dinner or if we decide i will cook some nights, she always finds something she likes
    but her diet is probably 70/30 Thai food vs other foods and a lot of that 30% of other foods is other Asian foods
    so i would say straight western food is only 10%

she is usually around 50kg's in Canada and gets up to 54kg's when she has been back to Thailand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast