Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By wabbits
  • 1 Post By slampay
  • 2 Post By Chob
  • 1 Post By Cuzzy
  • 2 Post By Zablive

Thread: Another wine thread...and variations of said.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Another wine thread...and variations of said.

There are a few that like their wines on the forum reds and white and I suspect mostly a dry palate after all we are not girls....5555

Do many wonder in to ports, tokay, musket or dare I say even sherry?
    A nice blue vein Crisp cracker and a stomach warming fortified.

My fav at the moment is this little beauty

Kalleske J.M.K Shiraz VP 2008

Or on occasion proper Spanish sherry or a saltana tokay or just a drop of your ol Grand father.

Are there many fortified drinkers out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A good Portugese Port wine is something to savour although I'd go for a Sherry nowadays, drier, less sweet.

Perhaps one of the BEST 'dessert' wines, dare I say a World best, is > Brown Brothers | Orange Muscat & Flora 750ml | Muscat | Brown Brothers

If you've never tried a dessert wine, grab a bottle of this and enjoy with someone you love very much ...

wabbits likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Was Mrs C favorite for some time Rob! but she has now graduated to good WA reds.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    We bought some "Gralyn" white and ruby "Chocolate" fortifieds last time out, have only looked at them since the initial tasting but they are soooo good.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    A good Portugese Port wine is something to savour although I'd go for a Sherry nowadays, drier, less sweet.

Perhaps one of the BEST 'dessert' wines, dare I say a World best, is > Brown Brothers | Orange Muscat & Flora 750ml | Muscat | Brown Brothers

If you've never tried a dessert wine, grab a bottle of this and enjoy with someone you love very much ...

Got a little Vasse Felix desert wine in the cupboard been there for a we while...
    Now Portuguese port is something I have not had but that will have to be rectified it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    We bought some "Gralyn" white and ruby "Chocolate" fortifieds last time out, have only looked at them since the initial tasting but they are soooo good.
    Grab yourself one of these.. Kalleske J.M.K Shiraz VP 2008 dan Murphys you will love I it C1 only 375 bottle
    Changone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Been drinking this -
    Fermoy Estate Shiraz 2011 ...chob!

Estate Shiraz 2011

Next up is a 'Cheval Noir , Saint-Emillion 2012' courtesy of my missus son in law from France... hes a good fella !
    Havent had a Bordeaux for ages ...

Saint Emilion Cheval Noir 2012 - Grand vin de Bordeaux

Ports and fortifieds are a thing of the past for me living in LOS.
    Its too darn hot to appreciate them , IMO.
    Give me Port and a fireplace anytime over Port and a fireymouth!

At least ok/good wines are at last finding their way into this country - and , I dont know how , but the prices are coming down slowly.
    It seems of late Id much rather have a nice glass of wine at home than beers at a bar and good friends seem to know that and bring something over - they know who they are and may Buddha bless them! 555

Funnily enough - we used to enjoy a 'late harvest boytritis' with some casata icecream or fruit after a more formal meal.
    Its an acquired taste , but was popular niche market amongst all the semillon growers of The Hunter Valley...
    This ones a good drop and beauty...
    Dessert Wines - Peterson House - Peterson House Pokolbin

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    I'm about 50 minutes from Napa Cali, it's like a wine Songkran, 24-7.
    wabbits likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If I ever had a dessert in a restaurant back in the west...which was rare (and now just doesn't happen)...I would sometimes opt for a de Bortoli's "The Noble One" which is a botrytis effected semillon...delicious with fruit based desserts or a cheese + fruit platter...

moreso than dessert wines though I would prefer a good cognac, armagnac or calvados to finish a meal....sans dessert and sometimes with a nice cuban

Never had a nice Cuban girl ...Im sure they are great after or even BEFORE dinner ....

Sorry ...Im going on with a bunch of 'noble rot' ...555
    kaptainrob and bacwaan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Ports and fortifieds are a thing of the past for me living in LOS.
    Its too darn hot to appreciate them , IMO.
    Give me Port and a fireplace anytime over Port and a fireymouth!

At least ok/good wines are at last finding their way into this country - and , I dont know how , but the prices are coming down slowly.
    It seems of late Id much rather have a nice glass of wine at home than beers at a bar and good friends seem to know that and bring something over - they know who they are and may Buddha bless them! 555

Funnily enough - we used to enjoy a 'late harvest boytritis' with some casata icecream or fruit after a more formal meal.
    Its an acquired taste , but was popular niche market amongst all the semillon growers of The Hunter Valley...
    This ones a good drop and beauty...
    Dessert Wines - Peterson House - Peterson House Pokolbin
    Yes cold weather, did try to eat blue castile in BKK ..No did not work.
    but even sitting out side in 30 degree humidity a nice red goes along way.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    but even sitting out side in 30 degree humidity a nice red goes along way.
    not for me...I have virtually given up drinking red wine here...I find that my palate changes in the heat...possibly the structure of the wine as well...and I just don't enjoy up here

cost may also be a factor as anything like I was used to drinking in AUS/NZ would start in at around 5-6K baht a bottle here...so I guess I have been baulking at those prices as well

I do enjoy a rose, a semillon or champagne up here though...seems to work better with Thai food

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    not for me...I have virtually given up drinking red wine here...I find that my palate changes in the heat...possibly the structure of the wine as well...and I just don't enjoy up here

cost may also be a factor as anything like I was used to drinking in AUS/NZ would start in at around 5-6K baht a bottle here...so I guess I have been baulking at those prices as well

I do enjoy a rose, a semillon or champagne up here though...seems to work better with Thai food
    I think I will be the same in truth will I be able to just drink beer......But in saying that I did reach for a jumper more than once last trip the cheese and reds maybe kept for that time.
    Thai food and reds don't go together I agree chili and red...nooooo.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    A cold night with a botrytis semillon or Brown Brothers tokay and a cheese platter would do me for dessert every time.
    Maybe up in the hills surrounding Chiang Mai in mid winter but not in the balmy seaside.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I worked in Perth for many years and this became a favourite haunt of mine.... John Kosovich Wines

Another, although much larger establishment is Jane Brook Our Wine Range » Jane Brook The Liquer Verdelho is very nice.

However, being a Kiwi .... Jules Taylor is a standout for me. In particular this... although not a 'fortified' wine it is still really nice. Grüner Veltliner 2013 » Jules Taylor Wines

And there is always.... 2004 Noble Late Harvest | Vinoptima. Expensive but oh so yummy.

Spending quite a bit of time in Isaan country I have in the past stopped at some Vineyards / Wineries and to be honest... I don't know why they bother. The climate and soils don't lend themselves to good wine. At least not that I have yet experienced, I may be wrong and would welcome comment but for me, what I have tasted locally produced doesn't cut the mustard.

Spent an afternoon at Silver Lake out of Pattaya once. Nice food, rubbish wine.
    wabbits likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    John Kosovich was mentioned.
    I moved to Perth in 1971 and I just loved wandering around the Swan Valley on Sundays.
    I had never tasted Verdelho before and (I think Kosovich) some I sampled there were great fresh young whites (which I normally don't drink).
    We took 6 home and as the ex loved it I went back and bought a carton.
    A few were still in the racks next Xmas and a year later it was very ordinary.
    Four years later it was a completely different wine - now I see aged liqueur Verdelhos.

It is quite an extra-ordinary grape.

My other favourite, apart from those big earthy Swan Valley reds, was the after blending bin ends of straight Malbec - drool, drool. Planted in the 1890s!
    wabbits and Cuzzy like this.