• 1 Post By PeteGill
  • 1 Post By supersub
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY

Thread: Best Thai Restaurants in Chiang Mai

Cadet Gold

Best Thai Restaurants in Chiang Mai

so been a change of plan going to to be in Chiang mai for two days first day shopping and sightseeing second day elephant nature park. where do people recommend

Cadet Gold
    on second thoughts with such short planning time what do people recomend seeing in chiang mai fullstop would be a better question

Is this at the start of the trip? ie. Will you be used to Thailand ways by the time you get there?

If start of trip... I suspect that you and your mates will just want to find a bar... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Hello Solao best Thai we've found, on Canal Road. Check TripAdvisor.
    poseidon likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    not at the start about midway through distant peak, this is the culture, wildlife part of the trip so not looking for bars on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
    not at the start about midway through distant peak, this is the culture, wildlife part of the trip so not looking for bars on this one.
    Wildlife in bars, not much culture tho. 55

Do Jungle Flight and Doi Suthep or Doi Kham tempkes, Baan Tawai craft village and Royal Flora ... good time of year to visit. Mae rim Botanical Gardens, or other tourist venues.
    poseidon likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    river market.

there a things to do in CM thread in the the CM section here.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    If you are only there for two nights, Johns Place on the moat is not too bad, close to the bars and they have traditional dancers entertaining those dining upstairs.
    poseidon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I liked the food at Good view, plus it was a nice spot over on the river. In terms of things to do I would do Doi Inthanon 1 day, then a combination of Doi Suthep, Phuping Palace and some Elephant show the next.
    Last edited by supersub; 7th September 2015 at 02:24.
    PeteGill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I liked the food at Good view, plus it was a nice spot over on the river. In terms of things to do I would do Doi Inthanon 1 day, then a combination of Doi Suthep, Phuping Palace and some Elephant show the next.
    Good view is expensive small servings and overrated IMO. Thai's love the al fresco experience; food comes well down the list after music, beer and whisky. Touristy, but nice experience ... once.

I suggested trying Hello Solao on Canal Rd. They have indoor a/c dining, individual sala's or covered area adjacent lake with a live band but the food is stunning ... not many tourists or farangs find this place and its always full of Thai's even at lunchtime. Authentic and inexpensive. Owner maintains a high standard of service and the kitchen is squeaky clean.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Good view is expensive small servings and overrated IMO. Thai's love the al fresco experience; food comes well down the list after music, beer and whisky. Touristy, but nice experience ... once.

I suggested trying Hello Solao on Canal Rd. They have indoor a/c dining, individual sala's or covered area adjacent lake with a live band but the food is stunning ... not many tourists or farangs find this place and its always full of Thai's even at lunchtime. Authentic and inexpensive. Owner maintains a high standard of service and the kitchen is squeaky clean.
    Just a note to update this thread ... Hello Solao remains the best we've found for Thai food, including seafood dishes, at very reasonable prices.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Have you tried Ton Goom river front. Its not far from Good view mainly a locals type of place and on the river. Its hard to find if you dont know it. This is my favourite place to eat in CM.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Have you tried Ton Goom river front. Its not far from Good view mainly a locals type of place and on the river. Its hard to find if you dont know it. This is my favourite place to eat in CM.

Next time you're in town eh?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Next time you're in town eh?
    Yes for sure, and I never been to Hello Solao so need to try that.

I'm back 26th June to 3rd July
    kaptainrob likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    there was a place just outside the middle gate of BWT that had great thai food and curries...really cheap too.
    not sure if still there?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS