Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bacon

Thread: David Thompson to open Thai restaurant in Perth

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar

David Thompson to open Thai restaurant in Perth

David Thompson to open Thai restaurant in Perth | Hospitality Magazine

Chef David Thompson has announced that he will be opening a restaurant in Perth named Long Chim.

Located in the FJM Property’s Old Treasury development, the new venue is set to open later this year with staff handpicked by Thompson.

Speaking with Yahoo, Thompson said that Long Chim will be a relaxed eatery featuring his signature food, street art and a cellar bar.

“I don’t want people thinking it’s going to be a full-on gastronomic experience,” said Thompson.

“I’m hoping we’ll do a decent stir-fry or two but it’s about people being able to enjoy themselves with decent food, decent service and decent booze in a decent environment conducive to having a laugh.”

Originally from Sydney, Thompson spent a number of years living and working in Bangkok. On his return to Sydney in 1992, Thompson opened Darley Street Thai, followed by Sailors Thai in 1995.

In 2001, Thompson opened Nahm in The Halkin hotel in London which received a Michelin star within six months of trade, becoming the first Thai restaurant to gain a Michelin Star.

Thompson opened a second Nahm restaurant in Bangkok in 2013 which claimed the number one position at the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014 awards. This year however, the restaurant slipped back to seventh position with Bangkok's Gagan claiming the number one position.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Sound expensive,

But being in Perth looking forward to trying it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Over-hyped, expensive crap? He's not even Thai.

Let me know if there's a street cart going around with a lil old Thai lady pushing it. I'll drive to the other side of the city to eat there.
    Minder likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

He's got a pretty good reputation.
    I'm sure the odd BM has tried his BKK restaurant?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I wonder if it is still going ahead .. the article is from June .... the Mining Bust has since closed down or slowed down much of what once was in "money-to-burn" Perth ..... opening a new restaurant is a gamble I would not take in the current climate ... up to him...

Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Was in todays Sunday Times.... but yeah, risky business with the super slow down!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    So what is the feel over there in the West...has it all hit the fan?? or is it just going to be a soft landing??

Hey Mr Wabb's what are your fig's like??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Over-hyped, expensive crap? He's not even Thai.

Let me know if there's a street cart going around with a lil old Thai lady pushing it. I'll drive to the other side of the city to eat there.
    One of the better Thai restauranters in the US is American
    You don't need to be Thai to cook Thai well if you love the food.

That being said, although I've never eaten at any of Thompson's restaurants one of his sous chefs has a restaurant here that is always named #1 Thai restaurant in Vancouver and I don't care for it because it is a bit too pretentious
    More like Thai fusion.

Now the US restauranteur I mentioned.......his food is as straight forward Thai as it gets.
    And he has many Thais that have worked for him go on and open their own restaurants

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    So what is the feel over there in the West...has it all hit the fan?? or is it just going to be a soft landing??

Hey Mr Wabb's what are your fig's like??
    Car sales are at a record low according to other sources ...

The general feel I get is along the lines of "it is going to get worse before it gets better" - so probably more soft landing than over the cliff for those of us not directly employed by the Mining sector.

Be interested to hear from other locals on their impressions ....
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

The general feel I get is along the lines of "it is going to get worse before it gets better" - so probably more soft landing than over the cliff for those of us not directly employed by the Mining sector.

I sort of get the peripheral businesses always feeling the squeeze. Because they are dependant on the work that comes from a certain business.

But as in my business, I will never get why the sky is always falling when a couple bad years comes in.
    In my business we can have 6 straight years of record revenues and one 6mos down turn and the firm is freaking out.
    Miners and oil guys......buying houses and boats(big in Canada) then freaking out in a bad year

^^^ Yes what has happened here in the Nth East is now happening in the West. And I think it will follow where we have gone.

4-5 years ago I saw things coming off the boil, mines were starting to close and lay off people, those same people had gone into big debt, on their big earnings.

The big new house with a $800k mortgage, the two new V* SS cars, his and hers, the big 25ft boat with twin motors.
    It just went on and on, then suddenly no more big honey pot and they had to come back and beg for a job that paid 1/3rd what they were getting. They couldn't adjust and neither could their wife and kids....what sell my car??? what no private school or the latest I Phone??? your kidding right Dad?? Many divorces etc

Townsville has the 2nd highest bankruptcy rates in the country, Mackay has the 3rd. All because of the previous dependancy on mines.

The thing also is that for every job in a mine there are 5 others carried in local towns. That is why it hurts other industries, not just the mine contractors. It is a flow on effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

We've had a considerable fall in our market since August - we have softened the blow with greater market share.
    They are expecting a further drop in sales next year.
    WA housing market

Quickie,I'm really interested.

What part of the property market are you in? and how have you increased market share in what must be a competitive market? Really like to know.