Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Zablive
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By Hammer

Thread: Phuket cooking school

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Phuket cooking school

My Gf wants to do a cooking class while we are in Phuket this week.

Does anyone know of a cooking class in Phuket that is a bit more advanced than your average tourist thing. Like most Asian ladys she loves to cook but she is not Thai and wants to learn more about Thai herbs & spices etc.

The few classes we have looked at are very basic and pointless doing. She already knows how to make green curry, fried rice, spring rolls, cut fruit and shop in the market. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Our mate Dave the Dentist spirited away the boss of the best cooking school in Phuket to the outreaches of Chiang Mai.
    OZZYGUY and retdent like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    This one does private tuition , choose what dishes you want to cook

PRIVATE THAI COOKING–Up To You Classes

Ozzy, a wee tip ... Youtube has some of the best cooking classes and one can pick and choose dishes to learn. My wife is an excellent cook and knows how to balance flavours but will often 'consult' YT to gain new skills or hone old ones.

We obtain certain spice pastes from the south, others are available locally BUT you can't go wrong with LOBO brand widely available in Oz.

Have a look at this YT vid and adapt using LOBO paste for simplicity >

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Most cooking schools do not teach 'real' skills like which fish sauce, coconut milk, limes or palm sugar to use. Therein lies a big difference. Do a taste test between Squid and Tiparos brand fish sauce for example.

When stir frying, try adding Golden Mountain soy along the side of the hot wok where it almost burns off immediately ... !
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks Rob, we do use the squid brand and have had good success with the Mai ploy brand at home.

Her mum did a few classes in CM in Dec so they cooked a bit when we went back to Cebu for christmas

Never thought of utube feel a bit stupid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On soi kebsap - there's a sports bar/ restaurant called half way inn , the owner there a lady called nan does cookery classes.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ Honey...you can do cooking school and I'll find something to fill in....... the time nearby
    Zablive likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ Honey...you can do cooking school and I'll find something to fill in....... the time nearby
    Not a Soi to take the GF 555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ nor soi croc?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i would have thought there would be plenty of cooking schools around...everybody that comes to los loves the food....must be a good reason why there are not..looks like a good opportunity to me

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i would have thought there would be plenty of cooking schools around...everybody that comes to los loves the food....must be a good reason why there are not..looks like a good opportunity to me
    Is lots of them around but the ones we looked at are basic and designed for westerners that have no experience in cooking Asian food.

Not interested in shopping at the food markets, cooking spring rolls and cutting fruit. Already know that stuff. Was really after something a bit more advanced but Kaptinrob has given us some good tips.

^^^
    So you already know the Thai names for all the herbs etc available at the markets?

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    So you already know the Thai names for all the herbs etc available at the markets?
    Nope, But the hardest thing back in Aust is finding all the herbs, most Asian shops even my local Thai owned shop don't have them. Went through that a few years ago with a TGF I brought over on a TV.
    Most of the local TG's grow them.

Cadet
    Probably a bit late bynow but I have done 2 classes at Pum's Restaurant...she also has cookbooks you can buy. It was such a pleasure to do
    this as it was only a small group and very hands on. also a lot of joking and very very friendly (aren't they all) The results where fantastic as well. Its also a great little place to have a nice cheap feed which I frequent a few times on each of my trips.
    It is on Ratuthit just after Christins Massage.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I often see Star of Anise used in thai recipes. I've never seen it offered in the markets I've gone to. Anyone else ever use it? And is it common in your supermarkets?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I use it in some of my Thai dishes...curries and braised pork dishes etc...easily available at any talat (wet market) here from my experience...most of the supermarkets have it in their spice section as well