Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thai Fun Food

Thai Fun Food

Here in the UK the food Thais call fun food or dinner on a stick are more likely to be served up as appetisers. However whether part of a full course Thai dinner party or used as tasty finger food items at a garden party or social gathering they go down a treat.

There are of course loads more like this, but what are your favourite tasty Thai bites? Which can you not wait to eat when you go to Thailand? Maybe you prefer a more hearty snack like ''Phat Thai noodles or '' Khao Man Gai'' steam chicken and fresh ginger. Tell us all about your favourites.

This weeks article looks at an introduction to a few favourite bites.

8 Top Thai Appetisers For A Party engagingthailandtips Blog

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Pad Kapao Goong (Thai Basil with prawns) is my favorite especially with a fried egg on top... I like eating Som Tam with cold fish wrapped in a lettuce like leaf when i'm in Isaan, I find it to be a refreshing dish even though it is quite spicy....

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I am a huge fan of the Thai Satay Chicken Sticks, but not a huge fan of the Thai Springrolls. Any one got a good recipe for Thai Satay sauce?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Well Bugger me!
    I have no idea of the names of the dishes Jeab cooked most nights. She couldn't tell me, we just ate.

All types, seafood, thinly cut pork, beef, chicken, all sorts of vegies, I have never heard of. All in awsume soups/sauces.

I would take her to the Asian supermaket, (the size of a double garage) and she would say, " what you want?" I would give her the basket and say "Go!, up to you!" 55555

That's a good philosophy to have jc, they know what to get. You are starting to make me hungry pbb love Phat krapao. G4orce try this older post I did which has a few more food bits and pieces in, but I included a recipe for Chicken Satay and a peanut dipping sauce, hope it's ok.

How To Cook Chicken Satay From Somerset Thai Caterers engagingthailandtips Blog

will have to give it a go, Thanks Giggsy. Thai Satay is different to the Chinese satay or whoever it belongs to btu I like both of them

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I am a huge fan of the Thai Satay Chicken Sticks, but not a huge fan of the Thai Springrolls. Any one got a good recipe for Thai Satay sauce?
    Bought this pack from Woolworths the other day and I have to say its the best peanut sauce Ning and I have had. Its in a box with 3 packs (a marinade and a 2 part sauce mix) in the Asian Section.

wabbits likes this.

Thanks Condo, I will be giving that a shot very soon. So much easier from a packet as well

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Thai snacks are begining to appear in many UK supermarkets but they tend to be a bit watered down IMHO . In my local indoor Market we have a small stall/cafe run by a Thai lady who knocks up some wonderful dishes and snacks with real Thai flavours.
    Also some pubs have added a few Thai items to their menu's but again, they are normally a poorer quality green/red curry, Thai fish cakes etc. No sign of papaya salad anywhere.555

While mentioning papaya salad, I need to get one of those shredders for vegetables. The type which gives you the thin strips. Can't find them anywhere where I live but I have seen them on Amazon for 6.99. The trouble is they are from the USA and they want 13 postage on top! Probably find them in Thailand for 100 bht.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    While mentioning papaya salad, I need to get one of those shredders for vegetables. The type which gives you the thin strips. Can't find them anywhere where I live but I have seen them on Amazon for 6.99. The trouble is they are from the USA and they want 13 postage on top! Probably find them in Thailand for 100 bht.
    The should have them at most local Asian grocers.

We have got both of these. The large one is made from wood though and has a brass shredder. I bought them from an Asian Grocers while I was in Darwin a few trips ago. The large shredder came with different size holes depending on the thickness you would like.

The blue one, that's the one. I have tried shreading with a cheese grater but it not so good and you can end up with bloody knuckles.555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    you have to do it with a knife... high speed action like a TG!

I found one of the shredder at an Asian Suppermarket, but you could always do the traditional method like PPB says. Done with a knife, a lot of cuts to the papaya long ways then thin shreads with the same knife. I hear it tastes better that way too... :P

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    you have to do it with a knife... high speed action like a TG!
    I don't fancy trying that method, I just get this vision of a hand falling to the ground still holding a papaya! 555

Well I managed to find one this afternoon and it works a treat. Nice and cheap too. Thanks for your help guys.
    Next on the list is a quality chef's knife, nice and sharp. I have heard the Japanese ones are the best. Anyone there with knowledge of these expensive items?

Well I managed to find one this afternoon and it works a treat. Nice and cheap too. Thanks for your help guys.
    Next on the list is a quality chef's knife, nice and sharp. I have heard the Japanese ones are the best. Anyone there with knowledge of these expensive items?
    I was looking into similar things myself recently as i want to buy myself a decent (but not mega expensive) set of Knives. I have been told Furi Knives are great and don't have the large price tag to go with them. I am thinking that will be the way to go for me but I want to physically hold it first before i go and buy one of the net.

Also found a handy link that show notable brands to look at Kitchen knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is towards the bottom on the page

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Ok ... grasshoppers ... deep fried or otherwise ... Nui went at them like they were buttered popcorn, so they would have to be considered a true Thai "fun food."

When she offered me some, I politely said "no thanks" So I never did get to sample this Thai delicacy.

My question, as I am sure Nui may find more big tasty grasshoppers on this trip, is ...

Has anyone had the cooked grasshoppers and other assorted bugs?

What do they taste like?

and ...

Do you eat them in their entirety? I did not actually see her spitting out any legs or heads etc ... tho I wasn't looking too closely, as the sight of your Thai gf with a grasshopper sticking out of her mouth was not the image I wanted to have prior to kissing her! 555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Ok ... grasshoppers ... deep fried or otherwise ... Nui went at them like they were buttered popcorn, so they would have to be considered a true Thai "fun food."

When she offered me some, I politely said "no thanks" So I never did get to sample this Thai delicacy.

My question, as I am sure Nui may find more big tasty grasshoppers on this trip, is ...

Has anyone had the cooked grasshoppers and other assorted bugs?

What do they taste like?

and ...

Do you eat them in their entirety? I did not actually see her spitting out any legs or heads etc ... tho I wasn't looking too closely, as the sight of your Thai gf with a grasshopper sticking out of her mouth was not the image I wanted to have prior to kissing her! 555
    I ate the grasshopper legs as they tasted like crispy skin chicken but I gave the rest of the grasshopper to Ning after I picked them off. 5555

The freakiest thing I have eaten in LOS was called Dancing Shrimp in english.

I opened the lid and it had live baby shrimp or what I call krill jumping around in chilli sauce. You dip the spoon in, grab a big mouthful and wham you get a mouth full of chilli exploding in your mouth like popcorn as they jump around to escape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast