The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Thai food unsatisfying?

Cadet Gold

Thai food unsatisfying?

Not in taste, which is often superlative.

But, are there many like me who has a Western diet so ingrained into our psyche that eating a Thai meal, regardless of how much we eat, always seems to be (in my head, at least) just a snack - until the next "proper" meal.

Indian/Pakistani food can fill me but Thai food always seems to lack an actual physical substance to it.

I'm guessing it might be down to a lack of carbohydrates (Thai food, rice aside, consisting almost exclusively of vegetables and sometimes of protein).

Western and Indo/Paki food includes, in addition to the rice accompanying a Thai meal, breads and even potatoes.

I'm always trying to get my lady to pop a few spuds into her otherwise delicious soups and curries but she won't even contemplate it and the only Thai curries with potatoes seem to be derivatives of Masaman (which is a Thai/Muslim curry, anyway) and which I find too sweet for my taste.

Anyone know of a few dishes that can dispel my likely ignorance, please?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    Not in taste, which is often superlative.

But, are there many like me who has a Western diet so ingrained into our psyche that eating a Thai meal, regardless of how much we eat, always seems to be (in my head, at least) just a snack - until the next "proper" meal.

Indian/Pakistani food can fill me but Thai food always seems to lack an actual physical substance to it.

I'm guessing it might be down to a lack of carbohydrates (Thai food, rice aside, consisting almost exclusively of vegetables and sometimes of protein).

Western and Indo/Paki food includes, in addition to the rice accompanying a Thai meal, breads and even potatoes.

I'm always trying to get my lady to pop a few spuds into her otherwise delicious soups and curries but she won't even contemplate it and the only Thai curries with potatoes seem to be derivatives of Masaman (which is a Thai/Muslim curry, anyway) and which I find too sweet for my taste.

Anyone know of a few dishes that can dispel my likely ignorance, please?
    Nope never had that issue, I eat asian food, Thai, chinese, filipina what ever almost every meal.

We have added spuds to currys before when friends come over. Seams to work for them.
    BunnyGee likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Nope never had that issue, I eat asian food, Thai, chinese, filipina what ever almost every meal.

We have added spuds to currys before when friends come over. Seams to work for them.
    I eat it all, too. I adore Asian food (I adore food!!).

But I find Thai food doesn't satisfy me.

I forgot to say that Chinese food also fills me up (as does Indian etc.).

But Thai food always seems like a "between (proper) meals" thing, with me and I'd like to kill that attitude towards Thai food I have.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Eat more...........55
    BunnyGee likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I agree 100%

And like you said I don't if it's mindset or the actual substance of the food

Like yourself I enjoy Thai food but never feel like completely satisfied after having it

And I eat Asian food probably 70% of the time

I remember after the Tsunami and I was just going to Thailand for a bit under 2 years

We were in Phuket and headed to my gf(now wife) village for about a week
    Then did a trio to a Thai only area

So after about 10 days of strictly Thai food when we got to Hua Hin I just gorged on Italian food!

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    I'd be interested to know if slim, healthy people also have this problem? It could possibly be that people who are overweight and possibly pre-diabetic may have a sugar addiction which means Thai food with it's lack of carbs will never satisfy their "cravings". If this is the case, I'd take it as a warning to get medically checked... just to be sure... rather than just look for a remedy for your sugar addiction...
    Last edited by Distantpeak; 12th March 2018 at 08:20.
    justcruzing1 and OZZYGUY like this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I'd be interested to know if slim, healthy people also have this problem? It could possibly be that people who are overweight and possibly pre-diabetic may have a sugar addiction which means Thai food with it's lack of carbs will never satisfy their "cravings". If this is the case, I'd take it as a warning to get medically checked... rather than look for a remedy for your sugar addiction...
    I don't think so
    A salad fills me up plenty as do a lot of healthy foods

PS.....Thai food has a TON of sugar in it with their sauces

Overall I'd say Japanese is probably healthier than Thai and I feel satisfied after eating Japanese

I think it's mindset. My wife is the same with western food. She enjoys it but it never "hits the spot" for her
    BunnyGee likes this.

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't think so

That isn't good either. Why are Thais not overweight then if eating all this sugar? I was going to suggest Indian and Chinese often has a lot of sugary sauces... at least in the UK...

I get filled up on Thai food ok now, though I never used to when overweight... had the same issues of not feeling sated...
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Cadet Gold
    I'd be interested to know if slim, healthy people also have this problem? It could possibly be that people who are overweight and possibly pre-diabetic may have a sugar addiction which means Thai food with it's lack of carbs will never satisfy their "cravings". If this is the case, I'd take it as a warning to get medically checked... just to be sure... rather than just look for a remedy for your sugar addiction...
    I'm one of those "lucky" guys who has never been overweight in my life.

I can eat whatever I like (Mars Bars for breakfast even) and drink what I like (binged on 10 pints a night, every night, for forty years solid). Love fat. Love sugar. Love carbs.

I don't live to eat though, I eat to live as a matter of habit. I'm not greedy, simply unaffected by what I eat or drink.

Just interested to find if I am the only one who can spend a day out with the Thai family, out-eating them all at every meal (of which there usually are many), yet still feel the need to hit on a pizza when we get home because "I've not properly eaten all day".

Seems MarcTwoSix may share my dilemna.

To me it seems NORMAL to not consider Thai food as "real" food and I find it hard to understand how it is that some people do.

I've even philosophised on that the reason Thai people never seem to stop eating is that perhaps they, too, are not satisfied by the food whereas I can eat a western dish and not think of food again for another half-dozen hours or so.

It's weird, to say the least.

I think it's just that BG and I don't rate Thai food as well as others
    That's really the simple explanation

I like Thai food, a lot more than I initially did

But I never really crave it like I do Japanese and even Korean

Indian and middle eastern curries is a weird one for me:

I really only started eating Indian and middle eastern curries about 4-5 years ago

And I go through a kick where I want to eat it every day for a week
    Then won't touch the stuff for 6months, to the point I find it unappealing to think about it

Cadet Gold
    I think it's just that BG and I don't rate Thai food as well as others
    That's really the simple explanation

I like Thai food, a lot more than I initially did

But I never really crave it like I do Japanese and even Korean
    You may have a point.

I must have eaten thousands of Thai Green Curries and Jungle Reds over the years yet, each time my missus makes one, I still consider it sort of as a "novelty". LOL.

Cadet Gold
    Indian and middle eastern curries is a weird one for me:

I really only started eating Indian and middle eastern curries about 4-5 years ago

And I go through a kick where I want to eat it every day for a week
    Then won't touch the stuff for 6months, to the point I find it unappealing to think about it
    That's just normal, Marc.

I'll go through a month long period of craving cheese on toast for every meal and even between meals and then suddenly switch off from it and not even contemplate cheese on toast for months and months later (cheese on toast just being an example - substitute jam on toast or vindaloo on toast as necessary).

Cadet Gold
    I don't think so

Overall I'd say Japanese is probably healthier than Thai and I feel satisfied after eating Japanese

I think it's mindset. My wife is the same with western food. She enjoys it but it never "hits the spot" for her
    My lady is the same as me, but in reverse.

We pretty much eat Thai food all the time (except for me having "proper" meals, in between).

When she IS forced to eat Western food because we are at a restaurant or whatever with my kids, as soon as she gets home the wok comes out so she can have some "proper" *by her standards) food.

It probably all is a mindset issue.

Yet I don't have that mindset with Indian or Chinese food (I have only sampled, not really immersed myself into, Japanese food).

Indian and Chinese food fills me up just fine.

To really confuse matter though, I do find that if I shag a Chinese girl, I feel satisfied yet always want to shag another one about an hour later.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

BG I’m probs the opposite to you, when I eat western food I get bloated and feel shit, especially steak or Italian food. I enjoy a good steak but its really got to be 120 to 160g.

My daughter has got me into a bit of vegan food lately and I’m enjoying that.
    BunnyGee likes this.

I'd be interested to know if slim, healthy people also have this problem? ..
    Nope,

I consider myself slim and healthy for your research.....55
    Distantpeak likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post

For me its less protein (rather than less carbohydrates) in Thai food that leaves me craving a western "meat and 3 veg" style meal every couple of days...

I usually eat Thai in the daytime and about half of my night time meals with a sandwich somewhere along the way...but sometimes I just want that slab of meat that is so ingrained in our western food culture to satisfy my protein urge

most thai meals only include small amounts of meat with a lot of veg and rice on the side...and I try to keep my rice/carbs levels down...so I do crave protein from time to time...if I do have a "chunk" of protein though I don't eat carbs with it...just a salad or green veg...ithat's plenty satisfying enough for me

Cadet Gold
    BG Iím probs the opposite to you, when I eat western food I get bloated and feel shit, especially steak or Italian food. I enjoy a good steak but its really got to be 120 to 160g.

My daughter has got me into a bit of vegan food lately and Iím enjoying that.
    I don't think I could ever follow a vegan diet but my daughter is semi-vegan and one of my son's vegetarian (I went vegetarian for three years around his age, too). I'm sure they'll both snap out of it at some point in the future.

Bacon sandwiches are pretty hard to resist.

But, I have to say, veggie dishes can be really good.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    For me its less protein (rather than less carbohydrates) in Thai food that leaves me craving a western "meat and 3 veg" style meal every couple of days...

I usually eat Thai in the daytime and about half of my night time meals with a sandwich somewhere along the way...but sometimes I just want that slab of meat that is so ingrained in our western food culture to satisfy my protein urge

most thai meals only include small amounts of meat with a lot of veg and rice on the side...and I try to keep my rice/carbs levels down...so I do crave protein from time to time...if I do have a "chunk" of protein though I don't eat carbs with it...just a salad or green veg...ithat's plenty satisfying enough for me
    You are probably right. It's protein that sustains us. Not carbs. I've been barking up the wrong tree.

Thai food needs more ruddy protein in it.

Mammal, not fish, protein.

We gotta eat more animals, man.

Or else live a life of perpetual grazing.

Cadet Gold
    BG I’m probs the opposite to you, when I eat western food I get bloated and feel shit, especially steak or Italian food. I enjoy a good steak but its really got to be 120 to 160g.

My daughter has got me into a bit of vegan food lately and I’m enjoying that.
    Same-same. I like my food to be small in proportions, preferably Asian, and served up regularly (just like my women).
    Last edited by BunnyGee; 12th March 2018 at 10:28.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast