Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The bbq thread

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

The bbq thread

Ozzy got me thinking as I am not long sorting out a new BBQ or well BBQs, so advice or what you like opinions would be cool.

Im thinking of getting an offset smoker or at least a smoker slow cook BBQ.
    When you start looking around the choice and price range is amazing from 100.00 for 7k plus not going the latter you could buy a small african village for that sort of money.555

So is anyone out there using a smoker of some description?
    Would you go off set of Komodo style?

Like Ozzy I will have a burner for wok work but wont have an open grill only a flat plate.

American BBQ culture seems to be coming our way big time so show us what you got would love to see ideas and what is cooked.
    Love Ozzys OD kitchen what set ups do you guys have?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Love Ozzys OD kitchen
    Why dont you and Joy come try ours out and we can discuss this. We always love a bit of Thai food mixed with the Filipna BBQ. It got a good test run last night.

Last edited by OZZYGUY; 20th April 2018 at 10:46.
    wabbits, kaptainrob and obes like this.

Sounds like a plan would be Thilapino food.555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Sounds like a plan would be Thilapino food.555
    55haha.........yep. Will call u in the week
    wabbits likes this.

Hang on Oz, I need to book a flight down for this bbq

Be interested to hear what you decide on Wabbits. Why a smoker though?

Any oven type bbq with at least 2 separate burners can slow cook, roast and smoke. The Bunnings cheap Cn stuff will not last and does a poor job anyway so be guided by Oz.

Our new bbq (on order) is from Udon Thani custom maker (without rotisserie) with double wall SS lid and hot rocks.

To slow cook, you place food on, say, left side, with right hand burner(s) adjusted for temperature. Lid down, and away you go. To smoke food, it's a similar scenario except you place the wood shavings/sawdust above the low flame burner.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Yes I hear you and hence the thread why or why not..
    Ok reasoning to this point.
    Gas fired might not allow for smoky flavours to the same degree as a charcoal style, their inherent light construction does not keep the heat as well.
    or go the komodo with ceramic that would be like cooking hungi style but relatively small and not cheap, well neither are for a bit of quality.
    OzzyDamo likes this.

One of the guys at work has a komodo he fires it right up then all but shuts it down puts his meat in over night and its just so nice.
    obes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I'm a 3 burner gas under volcanic rocks guy with a lid.
    Quick, smokeless and just outside the kitchen window for easy access.

Hot plates are for frying, open grilles are for BBQing.
    50/50 if you must.
    wabbits, kaptainrob and OZZYGUY like this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    I'm a 3 burner gas under volcanic rocks guy with a lid.
    Quick, smokeless and just outside the kitchen window for easy access.

Hot plates are for frying, open grilles are for BBQing.
    50/50 if you must.
    I agree with you regarding hotplates... could never see the need a home bbq. In the bush maybe ok for bacon/eggs/onion.

@Wabbits - a good friend of mine had a Komodo and swore by it. Funny thing was I never saw him use it. He and his wife always came down (6 doors) to our place and enjoyed cooking on my Namco gas bbq/oven. Gas and hot rocks is very convenient although Jo and I do love cooking over charcoal too.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

my opinion on open grills and Thai ladies when I have to clean it the two should never meet.555

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I agree with you regarding hotplates... could never see the need a home bbq. In the bush maybe ok for bacon/eggs/onion.

@Wabbits - a good friend of mine had a Komodo and swore by it. Funny thing was I never saw him use it. He and his wife always came down (6 doors) to our place and enjoyed cooking on my Namco gas bbq/oven. Gas and hot rocks is very convenient although Jo and I do love cooking over charcoal too.
    My worry is with the komodo it might be a fad and I might get sick of using it...Like a coffee mechine thrown a couple of those out over the years.5555

my opinion on open grills and Thai ladies when I have to clean it the two should never meet.555
    Sounds like the issue is more wife training than the BBQ. But you been together awhile now and retraining will be hard.....55
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 20th April 2018 at 16:02.
    wabbits and kaptainrob like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I love the simple "pot" BBQ with the little cage that flips for the meet

I am useless at BBQ'ing
    I just don't know how to grill correctly

When I was in Phoenix it was perfect
    I make fantastic marinades.....
    So I marinated the meats and my friend Darren was the expert griller

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Sounds like the issue is more wife training than the BBQ. But you been together awhile now and retraining will be hard.....55
    Whats this retraining thing you speak of? No time for that while I am trying to hide from my own retraining sessions she has lined up.55555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I love the simple "pot" BBQ with the little cage that flips for the meet

I am useless at BBQ'ing
    I just don't know how to grill correctly

When I was in Phoenix it was perfect
    I make fantastic marinades.....
    So I marinated the meats and my friend Darren was the expert griller
    I love nothing better than cooking and supping red wine...But then my cooking generally revolves around roasts and veg pretty simple...Nothing like watching the mrs wip up a curry from scratch that looks difficult.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I've got a Weber Q, a flat hotplate and a charcoal burning Weber.

I can cook just about anything on what I've got, but it's all academic really - if you've got the $ and reckon a komodo would work - get one !

Smokers are cheap too, so same same - got the $ = go for it........
    wabbits likes this.

The choices are wide and varied Obes might have to employ the Kiss principle.555
    obes likes this.

Yes I hear you and hence the thread why or why not..
    Ok reasoning to this point.
    Gas fired might not allow for smoky flavours to the same degree as a charcoal style, their inherent light construction does not keep the heat as well.
    or go the komodo with ceramic that would be like cooking hungi style but relatively small and not cheap, well neither are for a bit of quality.
    Thats a nice barby but its not stainless steel.
    I got a 60litre ss. beer keg split in half and hinged, I cut ceramic coated grill to fit inside and rest on the hinge bolts(I'll try and get photo together), its perfect for charcoal or wood fire, wood fire burnt down IMHO is better then charcoal if you got the right wood, like durian.
    wabbits and kaptainrob like this.

yes please would love to see that.

IMG_20180421_120423.jpg heres the bbq, the rim from the top section I inverted underneath for legs.
    it will do 6 steaks or 18 sausages, a leg a lamb or a whole chicken pancaked issan style.
    For us being a family of 3 its perfect and uses only a little bit of wood to cook a few steaks.
    A 90litre would be better for a larger family (5 or 6 people), a 200litre if you want to do pig on the spit.
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 21st April 2018 at 12:49.
    kaptainrob likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast