Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Thai, Korean, Italian, Mexican or Kiwi

How the Chili spread from South America to Thailand -A Thai-Dreaming exclusive Trip Report

A few years ago an Italian, Captain Chris Columbus, sailing under Spanish registry, visited Mexico to meet intrepid adventurers Rob & Paul on a rape and pillage mission. Paulie, as he is affectionately known, fed Chris on Tacos filled with a fiery beef and chili concoction which agreed with Chris and many of his crew,

Subsequently, Captain Chris returned to Spain with chili seeds and cultivation began in Europe.

Portuguese spice traders acquired chili from their neighbour and carried seed supplies on a mongering mission to Thailand whereupon they landed at Surin beach. Lo and behold, two Australians, Chob and Bacwaan, were partaking of lunch on the beach and met with Portuguese Captain Nando who offered a sprinkle of chili upon their gai-yung lunch. An instant (fiery) hit, Chob and Bacwaan spread their seed far and wide, and thus chili arrived in Thailand ....

.... via Italian, Spanish, Portuguese AND Australians!
    Quarky, Sydney, Rockitt and 3 others like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Thanks for the info KR. ... I will copy and paste right now and update Wikipedia with it
    Quarky, kaptainrob and OzzyDamo like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Platinum
    For what it is worth the Portuguese and the Spanish divided up the “New World” between them through a series of treaties which were mediated by various popes. Two important ones were Tordesillas and Zaragoza, although these were not always fully respected.
    PeteGill and OzzyDamo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    That curly thing at the end of a sentence is a question mark, so doesn't make a statement..
    And the 5's behind the question mark means the question was not even serious, but in jest..

Now for your statement "the Portuguese introduced chilies in Thai cuisine", the question translates as 'how could they?'
    Since the Portuguese were never in Thailand, that is hard..
    And Mexico, where the chilies originate from was a mainly Spanish colony, so KR is probably right that the Spanish were the first to take chilies back to Spain. And they do grow there, although the climate is not ideal..
    In the Columbian Exchange, all Western countries were transplanting species from the America's to their colonies, were they assumed they could be farmed better.

So safe guess is that the Portuguese introduced chilies (and tomatoes, etc.) to Mozambique, Zanzibar, Malaka and Macou..
    As safe a bet as saying the Dutch introduced the same to Indonesia, the French to Indochina, The British to India and Birma, etc.
    And since Thailand was never colonized, they probably got the chilies from Birma, Indochina or Malaysia..

So yes, have a read! 555
    "Portuguese settlers came to Phuket and the trade area port of Malacca. They have embraced western culture as well as western science and religion. They have built houses and their architectural style. Portuguese employs Chinese people to build houses and establishment for them. Houses and the establishment of Portuguese have mixed between Portuguese art and Chinese art together"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-P...e_architecture

what brought the Portuguese to Thailand? probably thai hookers! but gemstones and opium would be my guess -Green sapphires and opium gum.
    The Portuguese hit well above their comparative weight in the colonial era, probably because of their military training, scientific ability and their willingness to share technology in exchange for trade and missionary establishment. Without the Portuguese training, advisors, mercenaries and arms, Siam would probably of fallen to the Lanna Kingdom of ruler Paya Kaew in the 16th century.

"The Portuguese were the first European power to arrive in the Far-East and established a diplomatic relationship with Thailand, which at that time was known as the Kingdom of Siam. Portuguese diplomatic missions arrived in Siam in the early 16th Century. "
    https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/phu...se-forays-siam
    http://www.ayutthaya-history.com/Set...ortuguese.html

Google makes anybody a genius 555555
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 30th June 2018 at 17:43.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Junk Ceylon (little Ceylon now Phuket) was an important trading port of the region and the Portuguese noted seafarers...

. Phuket’s streets were lined with handsome buildings constructed in the Sino-Portuguese style by the tin-barons, many of which can still be seen in older quarters of the town.

https://www.phuket.net/visit-phuket/about/info/history/
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 30th June 2018 at 17:16.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Old phuket town is my favourite place in Phuket, I love the buildings and the restaurants there, if you're ever in town try this place, the food is great- - Natural Restaurant Phuket | Phuket Town Thailand
    Chalong try here- http://www.kaneang-pier.com/
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 30th June 2018 at 17:58.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyDamo View Post
    Old phuket town is my favourite place in Phuket, I love the buildings and the restaurants there, if you're ever in town try this place, the food is great- - Natural Restaurant Phuket | Phuket Town Thailand
    Chalong try here- Kan Eang@Pier Phuket Seafood and Restaurant
    Only ever been to a couple of restaurants there but been to Natural a few times. Like it...
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Irish cuisine is primarily made of the cheapest cuts because of the poverty that existed. One of the most famous Dublin dishes is coddle which is a boiled sausage stew. Because it’s boiled the sausages are a grey white which looks unappetizing but tastes good.

Black pudding is a delicacy which is congealed pigs blood and I have never been in a country that can make it even half as tasty.

Ireland has a reputation of. Ring obsessed with potatoes but this has changed in the last twenty years and usually only eaten with a Sunday roast. Irish stew is the dish served to tourists which is a lamb stew. I love it. It would probably only eat it once or twice a year.

It was hilarious the first time I went to the states and the bosses wife invited me to dinner and promised to make a taste of home. She served up corned beef and cabbage. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that nowhere in Ireland serves corned beef and it was a Jewish dish eaten by the Irish when they arrived to the states.

We are famous for our breakfasts and it is a hangover cure. There are many variations with the Ulster fry, full Irish and even copied across the water with a full English. Full Irish has beans, sausages, rashers, fried or poached egg, white pudding, black bidding beans (full English will not have beans) fried bread, fried tomato. I like fried apple but this isn’t common.

A funny story was when we were in London for a stag and decided to go to a cafe for a feed. On the board outside was ‘all day breakfast, finished at 2’.

For some reason we are obsessed with tea. People will bring 100s of tea bags with them when they leave. My mother drinks about 10-12 cups a day. I can’t stand the stuff. I like coffee but only drink it if in a restaurant and have a double espresso.

Wouldn't mind an Irish stew and a few Kilkennys to wash it down. Lamb's a bit too exxy here to put in a stew but in NZ/Aus I used to make it many times, served over mashed spuds ... yummo!

Ireland's one of the top 4 beer producers in the World yet very few are imported in Asia. Guinness brewed in Indonesia is a watery version to suit the tropics and closely resembles Lao Dark.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Wouldn't mind an Irish stew and a few Kilkennys to wash it down. Lamb's a bit too exxy here to put in a stew but in NZ/Aus I used to make it many times, served over mashed spuds ... yummo!

Ireland's one of the top 4 beer producers in the World yet very few are imported in Asia. Guinness brewed in Indonesia is a watery version to suit the tropics and closely resembles Lao Dark.
    I quite like that dark Lao but it’s stronger than the beer Lao I think.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post

It was hilarious the first time I went to the states and the bosses wife invited me to dinner and promised to make a taste of home. She served up corned beef and cabbage. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that nowhere in Ireland serves corned beef and it was a Jewish dish eaten by the Irish when they arrived to the states.

i went to an International conference in Dublin in 2001, stayed at the Merrion , that was one of the traditional dishes we were served for lunch on one of the days , was lovely , first time I'd ever had proper corned beef , not out of a tin

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    i went to an International conference in Dublin in 2001, stayed at the Merrion , that was one of the traditional dishes we were served for lunch on one of the days , was lovely , first time I'd ever had proper corned beef , not out of a tin
    Merrion is a top class hotel. But it caters primarily to tourists. In my life I ave never been served corned beef and when younger and money was a bit tight we were served some sh1te. Our staple Wednesday dinner (day before payday) was cows tongue and turnip. I actually have fond memories even though it looked grotesque.

Always dreaded when my dad made our school lunch. When my mother made it it was always normal well cut sandwiches neatly placed in my Ateam lunchbox. My father never believed in conventional school lunches and was always embarrassed when I’d pull out a package wrapped in the bread packet containing leftovers from the night before. A cold pork chop with a boiled potato had to be eaten amongst uproarious laughter from everyone. Even the teacher would comenf at eating a large piece of meat covered in cold gravy instead of triangle cut sandwiches.
    kaptainrob and Stillearly like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I haven't been for a few years , but hopefully will get over later this year , I have an uncle and aunt that live on the outskirts of Dublin and my family history research has taken me to great great grandparents from Clonakilty who settled in Wales, in fact another branch of my family that settled in Durham also takes me back to that area

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    If you ever go to NYC go to a proper Jewish deli

Corned beed and pastrami are incredible

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If you ever go to NYC go to a proper Jewish deli

Corned beed and pastrami are incredible
    Delis in NYC are second to none. Nowhere in the world beats it. Food and beverage service is unreal in NYC and it’s one of my favourite places in the world.

Was in an Italian restaurant there and it was exactly like being in The Godfather. I worked as a bartender in an Irish bar just off Times Square and the tips were unbelievable. An Irish accent was like being a celebrity.

Lived in Yonkers in the Bronx for a while and although full of Irish I found it quite depressing. So many people who were there illegally and were afraid to come ho,e for family events, weddings, funerals etc because they would be deported. A lot were depressed and felt isolated from family. It was the first time I had experienced that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456