Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Poor Restaurant experience

Poor Restaurant experience

I went and ate Vietnamese with my daughter, SI and a few Thai's from the Church SI goes to this past Sunday.

The food was really good, the decor was really good.

The waiter did get it wrong with one of the meals, then had an attitude to resolve the problem. Sorted out, he forgot the provide cutlery to that guest so he goes and returns..... Then i say to the waiter, "what about the condiments" to go with the Beef Pho ?...... Again off he storms with the attitude..... That was not the problem i want to discuss...

Prior to the day, i baked a lovely Carrot cake that we all planned to share at the end of the meal. Not wanting to inconvenience the restaurant, i brought along plastic plates and spoons to serve the cake slices..... I began slicing the cake and when the attitude waiter spotted me doing so, confronted me advising of a charge of $4:00 per person to eat the cake....... Like WTF !!!!!!........ I can understand most restaurants charge a corkage fee if you BYO drinks because you are using their cups/glasses but FFS, i have my own disposable plates and spoons (which i was going to bag and take with us).......

My reply to the waiter was that it was a birthday cake, and we were celebrating the birthday at their restaurant (a white lie to see if he would relax his stance but no budge)......

So, the cake was put away and on walk out to pay the check, called for the manager who again said the same....... We charge by the amount of people eating.

We all agreed not ever to return or recommend this restaurant....

Oh, last photos are of us eating the cake outside the restaurant 55555

IMG_5442_LI.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5453_LI.jpg
    IMG_5454_LI.jpg
    IMG_5456_LI.jpg

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I never heard of that before , been to several restaurants with birthday cakes and not encountered that policy , very short-sighted

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Love the blue sunglasses....55
    Cobba likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The only thing I could see is if they were busy and you would be taking up a table the extra time that they would heed the table

Other than that then they are stupid

We have a Pho shop in my apartment building
    When it opened my wife ate there every day for like 3 weeks 5555

PS...Your daughter looks cute as a button

Last edited by Hatari; 28th August 2018 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

PS...Your daughter looks cute as a button
    Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Like Stillearly said, i too have had plenty of birthdays in restaurants using their dinnerware and cutlery........ The restaurant was not busy on the day so no demand for our table to seat others.....

Next time, i will speak to any prospective restaurant and ask the question before a booking or "walk in" is made.......

Its a pretty stingy practice IMO and as such have lost my/our future business.
    OzzyDamo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Love the blue sunglasses....55
    55555 yeh well a public forum and all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    Like Stillearly said, i too have had plenty of birthdays in restaurants using their dinnerware and cutlery........ The restaurant was not busy on the day so no demand for our table to seat others.....

Next time, i will speak to any prospective restaurant and ask the question before a booking or "walk in" is made.......

But that is a good point
    You probably should alert them 1st

I don't ever remember being at a table that has done that but I've seen many others do it
    OzzyDamo and Cobba like this.

Not uncommon in nz to see signs advising that only meals purchased here can be eaten here.

Can understand both sides... do you let parents bring in their own ice cream desserts for children etc?

Let the Isaan guests bring their own stinky fish meals as an appetiser?

There's laws, food safety and hygiene that restaurants are bound by

A quick search I found NZ restaurants varied from $4 up to $10 a person 'cake fee', to a flat fee of $12
    OZZYGUY and Cobba like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Imagine, sit down at a restaurant and the waiter says 'can I show you the menu?' No thanks, brought our own food 555

Never heard of it here, in SA. But I should imagine that a prior arrangement would need to be made.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I can see both sides to the discussion, but bad press goes a LONG way in stopping repeat customers. A little tolerance should have been a part of the restaurant's policy. I've been "over priced" many times in Thai restaurants. A few orchids on the plate of food does not make it taste any better. I just don't return... and there is probably a good reason why the restaurant is not full of customers. I've seen that many times in Pattaya that is chock full of places to eat. There will be 10 empty restaurants and one that is over flowing with people. Thais are very aware of where you get good value for your money. $10 to $50 extra does not mean much to me in the long term. I just write it off as a bad investment and never return.
    OzzyDamo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Imagine, sit down at a restaurant and the waiter says 'can I show you the menu?' No thanks, brought our own food 555

Never heard of it here, in SA. But I should imagine that a prior arrangement would need to be made.
    Most restaurants dont sell birthday cakes and even if they did, most birthday cakes are unique and tailored for the event.

It was not going to cost them a cent while we sat for an extra 15 minutes eating cake....... Actually, while the cake was being cut, we were discussing the number of Vietnamese coffees we were going to order so they missed out on this.

IMO, the restaurant was very short sighted and did not look at the big picture. People remember the bad experiences more than the good... People talk..... And then there is FB 555555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Most restaurants dont sell birthday cakes and even if they did, most birthday cakes are unique and tailored for the event.

It was not going to cost them a cent while we sat for an extra 15 minutes eating cake....... Actually, while the cake was being cut, we were discussing the number of Vietnamese coffees we were going to order so they missed out on this.

IMO, the restaurant was very short sighted and did not look at the big picture. People remember the bad experiences more than the good... People talk..... And then there is FB 555555
    And that is exactly the point I was making. Someone who is pissed off is going to spread the word far and wide. An average good meal that you can get in most restaurants may not get any rave reviews, but there won't be any negative publicity either.
    Cobba likes this.

As Forbes said I see both sides

If I were a restaurant owner I would allow it

If I was somewhat opposed to it, maybe I'd gently request that they order coffees also

Although I would imagine most people would order coffees anyways

In Thailand, one may have your own cake and eat it ... 55
    Quarky likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    BYO etiquette aside, it sounds like the place is run by a bunch of cnuts. It would have cost them nothing to be polite and make an exception seeing a whole family eating at their establishment. Just vote with your feet and don't go back.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I'm a firm believer in making a booking and asking beforehand on these things...i don't ever remember being knocked back requesting to bring a Birthday Cake or a special bottle of wine to any establishment...I even bring my own riceberry rice to my fave local here...they heat it up for me and put it on a plate at no charge..lovingly and with a smile on their face

I have taken some of my cellared wine to places in Sydney (by prearrangement) like Quay, Bennelong, Moran's, Rockpool etc many times and they could not have been more gracious about it...no corkage, new stemware on changeover etc...but I have always offered the owner/sommelier to try a glass with us...most have had a small taste..but bloody Guillaume at Bennelong had half the bottle once then goaded me into going back home to get a couple more...555

Of course I have bought plenty of wine from their extensive wine lists as well and would only ask if I have something special I want to match with an item off their menu...but the best restauranteurs do it because they love it..its not about the cash for them...
    Ian Forbes and Cobba like this.

And THAT, Baccy is how good restaurants SHOULD act. You build up a rapport with people and they become more like friends than customers. At that point people want to return and bring their friends.
    bacwaan and Cobba like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Torch the place....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast