Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: The Bread Thread

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar

The Bread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Seems everywhere except England knows how to make nice fluffy bread.
    Only time I eat white bread is when I have Banh Mai at out local shops. Most of the time I will only eat brown bread with grains in it. Wholemeal on its own tastes like eating cardboard. White to me has no taste.
    The roll they do the Banh Mai in are great with what is served in them, but with other fillings I find tasteless.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Only time I eat white bread is when I have Banh Mai at out local shops. Most of the time I will only eat brown bread with grains in it. Wholemeal on its own tastes like eating cardboard. White to me has no taste.
    The roll they do the Banh Mai in are great with what is served in them, but with other fillings I find tasteless.
    I am exactly the same. I refuse to buy white bread even if I am all out of bread. I'm spoiled by the great bread I get in Canada. I suffer through eating the so called "whole wheat" I get in Chiang Mai, but only because of the great filling I put inside: pork tenderloin and cheddar cheese.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I am exactly the same. I refuse to buy white bread even if I am all out of bread. I'm spoiled by the great bread I get in Canada. I suffer through eating the so called "whole wheat" I get in Chiang Mai, but only because of the great filling I put inside: pork tenderloin and cheddar cheese.
    Welcome back Ian!!

We already disagreeing
    Bread in Vancouver sucks 5555

Make your own sourdough with a home-made starter....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Make your own sourdough with a home-made starter....
    That still sucks

You either have to grow up in a hardcore Italian or French neighborhood or your bread sucks

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    That still sucks

You either have to grow up in a hardcore Italian or French neighborhood or your bread sucks
    Why does it suck? Tastes delicious to me... it's hard restricting myself to one slice a week... 55

Pretty cool having your own starter too... as opposed to bought yeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Why does it suck? Tastes delicious to me... it's hard restricting myself to one slice a week... 55

Pretty cool having your own starter too... as opposed to bought yeast.
    Because you ain't a bread maker that learned to bake bread over years
    Trust me, your bread sucks

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Because you ain't a bread maker that learned to bake bread over years
    Trust me, your bread sucks
    I have a Czech family living a few doors down from me that make several varieties of whole grain rye sourdough..their bread is fantatstic. black and dense with a very malty crust...I order a loaf a week and it does me the whole week...no sugar, no additives..organic grain..

Ros (the father) comes from from a long line of bakers..he says 4 generations...the best bread I have ever had anywhere in the world..and its right on my doorstep, made by artisan bakers...
    obes likes this.

^I make granary, multigrain or wholemeal mix sourdough. But do experiment. Been making my own bread for many years. Was a real bind when I cut down on processed food about 5 years ago. But then got into making my own starter instead of using bought yeast. So make bread for my family on a weekly basis now. I wouldn't have bothered if was just for me. Mum, dad and my sister don't seem to put on weight as easy as I do, so can get away with eating bread more than I can. It's better than any bought sourdough I have tried. But I am not a professional baker... so I am sure there are better versions out there.

If anyone is interested... I pretty much follow this guy's format.

Sorry Ian. Just realised this is in your TR...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I generally don't eat bread over here now, but maybe will have a slice of wholewheat with butter and honey. That's just regular stuff though like Hovis.

Some of the best bread I've had has been in Amsterdam. Literally everything from regular sliced break to croissants to brioche buns used in deserts. Makes me want to go there now.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    There are only two breads that I really enjoy and both are produced at the same Superstore where I live on the island. I think the premixed dough gets sent to the store from somewhere else and then it is baked in the store. They call it Alpine grain and it has a nice mixture of grains and nuts, that give all the flavour. It is double or even triple the price of regular white bread, but it's worth every penny. If I time my shopping visits properly I can buy it on sale for about $2.50 a loaf. Otherwise it's $3.50. When it's on sale I buy 6 loaves and stick 5 in the freezer.

I've made my own bread many times, but it's just too much hassle... like making a cake just for myself, and I only want one piece. Same with pizza dough. The same Superstore also produces a nice, premade multi-grain, thin crust dough. All I have to do is add the toppings and cook it quickly at high heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    There are only two breads that I really enjoy and both are produced at the same Superstore where I live on the island. I think the premixed dough gets sent to the store from somewhere else and then it is baked in the store. They call it Alpine grain and it has a nice mixture of grains and nuts, that give all the flavour. It is double or even triple the price of regular white bread, but it's worth every penny. If I time my shopping visits properly I can buy it on sale for about $2.50 a loaf. Otherwise it's $3.50. When it's on sale I buy 6 loaves and stick 5 in the freezer.

I've made my own bread many times, but it's just too much hassle... like making a cake just for myself, and I only want one piece. Same with pizza dough. The same Superstore also produces a nice, premade multi-grain, thin crust dough. All I have to do is add the toppings and cook it quickly at high heat.
    Ian
    Come on don't make me disagree with you again!! 555

Well not disagree but if I'm baking a cake I am eating more than 1 piece

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Ian
    Come on don't make me disagree with you again!! 555

Well not disagree but if I'm baking a cake I am eating more than 1 piece
    Well now you know one of the many secrets as to how Ian has his figure at his age ...Only one slice please
    Quarky likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have told here before, when I was back living at Dee Why Beach, there was a Vietnam bakery and I am sure they must have put drugs of some sort in the white loafs......it was so so addictive.

People were lined up outside and down the road almost all day...they must have made a killing.

I admit it ... I was An Addict ...I started out just buying one sliced loaf but found somehow 1/2 had dissapeared before I got the 3 blocks home...so I bought 2 loafs and still not enough to satisfy my Mother and Stepfather and myself for one night.

We got to the point we were buying 2-3 loafs a day!!

I have no idea if it is still there, it was in Pacific Pde just off Pittwater rd.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Viet bread in Cabra was always 1st class.
    had my first banh mi's early 80's with red pork on them. still like them now.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Last hotel , they had proper french baguettes as well as a Bahn Mi ( lighter version ) station and doughnuts for breaky if you wanted ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Last hotel , they had proper french baguettes as well as a Bahn Mi ( lighter version ) station and doughnuts for breaky if you wanted ...
    Looks good, glad to see the white bread, sick of my tooth marks in the toilet door after eating wholemeal 55555
    Cheers

Scottie

Just a shame white bread is so lovely, but so toxic. Probably the biggest killer in the west?
    Or at least up there with smoking.
    Last edited by Quarky; 20th February 2019 at 23:00.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I hate white bread...just can't stand it...its like eating sweet air for me...I really like something dark, grainy, filling and heavy..the heavier and lower GI (Glycemic Index) the better for me..

Nowadays I don't touch it. But like you I think my taste buds have changed. A nice wholemeal or granary sourdough is delicious. And doesn't give me that horrible sugar rush. Unless I get greedy.