Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What is most popular takeout in your country?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863

    What is most popular takeout in your country?

    I'm thinking sort of takeout during the week after work

    What type of food do you think is the most popular takeout in your country?

    I'd say in North America it's Sushi

    Quick, somewhat healthy

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,664
    Sushi is the LAST thing I would think of eating anywhere. I don't like squid or octopus, the shrimp are from a questionable source, and they use salmon from the destructive commercial ocean fish farms. A McDonalds burger would be more healthy for you. But, a Thai food take-out isn't bad: rice, egg, chicken or pork and some sauces.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,335
    After 50 years I've rediscovered KFC. Two piece box original recipe. So good...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Sushi is the LAST thing I would think of eating anywhere. I don't like squid or octopus, the shrimp are from a questionable source, and they use salmon from the destructive commercial ocean fish farms. A McDonalds burger would be more healthy for you. But, a Thai food take-out isn't bad: rice, egg, chicken or pork and some sauces.
    The 80yr old guy from the woods doesn't get sushi
    Shocking 555

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    After 50 years I've rediscovered KFC. Two piece box original recipe. So good...
    KFC is nasty!

    Do you guys have Popeye's by you?
    That is way better

    Also so many restaurants doing that Nashville Hot Chicken sandwiches now
    But that's not takeout

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,335
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    KFC is nasty!

    Do you guys have Popeye's by you?
    That is way better

    Also so many restaurants doing that Nashville Hot Chicken sandwiches now
    But that's not takeout
    I like Popeye's. There's one in the city. It's crunchy. I hate those Nashville HCS. I had them in Nashville. It's just chicken with tons of red pepper. I'll take KFC Original any day.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,664
    I can understand why people who don't have a clue about fish products and where they come from, or how they are produced, liking sushi. They look so "pretty" on the plate.

    As a kid we would chew on chunks of shiny road tar. I also liked the dog biscuits my parent gave to our hunting pointer.

    Most food is just a personal choice. I grew up eating fresh veggies and what ever meat my parents could find at the market. It wasn't all that easy in the 1940s. I also learned to eat everything on my plate because we weren't sure when the next meal was coming.

    I took the girls out for supper the other night and they wanted to go to a favourite mook-a-tah place that has all the sea-food they like. Unfortunately, it was closed so they chose to try a Japanese place that specialized in sushi. I pulled out the bits of lettuce and the few tiny tomatoes and ate that, and gave the rest to them. I DO know what REAL sea-food tastes like, and it's not that crap.







    There is another Japanese restaurant that I do frequent regularly just for their salad and fries (about $5 Canadian)

    Quarky likes this.

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,444
    Nothing specific stands out for me. I usually just grab subway or something if hungry, but I rarely have dinner. Not really a thing here anyway, certainly not in Europe, and Asia is a mixed bag of eating out or cooking at home. Unless eating out qualifies as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    After 50 years I've rediscovered KFC. Two piece box original recipe. So good...
    That shit is perfectly engineered to hit all the right nerves when you're hungry, but man, the remorse comes hard and fast once you're done. Like doing a fat bird.
    Last edited by Bacon; 24th January 2020 at 17:01.
    Quarky, kaptainrob, PGC and 1 others like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    7,396
    I don't get takeout as in fast food but sometimes get Thai takeout. Not often thou.

    But since I been in the Philippines I won't eat the street food so have had the odd Pork bun from the 7/11 with a coffee.

    Also discovered the fast food outlet Cow King.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  10. #10
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,799
    KFC in thailand is superb and I also like Popeyes though have only ever had the latter at KL LCCT.

    Chinese and Thai would be the other 2 popular takeaways in NZ although flavours are very much westernised but with good quality ingredients.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Sushi is the LAST thing I would think of eating anywhere. I don't like squid or octopus, the shrimp are from a questionable source, and they use salmon from the destructive commercial ocean fish farms. A McDonalds burger would be more healthy for you. But, a Thai food take-out isn't bad: rice, egg, chicken or pork and some sauces.
    Offshore aquaculture is the way. Having the farms in deeper waters where things like coral aren't affected. We do need to support good fish farms.

    I agree with squid and occy. Not much of a taste. More texture, and it's all rubbery, so I prefer them cooked. I love fresh tuna, salmon and mackerel, and a cold little bottle of sake on ice. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Nothing specific stands out for me. I usually just grab subway or something if hungry, but I rarely have dinner. Not really a thing here anyway, certainly not in Europe, and Asia is a mixed bag of eating out or cooking at home. Unless eating out qualifies as well.



    That shit is perfectly engineered to hit all the right nerves when you're hungry, but man, the remorse comes hard and fast once you're done. Like doing a fat bird.
    Yeah I meant eating out(or takeout) but more in a casual place than a full on restaurant

    I ate the sushi place tonight but it's what I would consider take-out sushi not a proper restaurant

    It also could be a downtown thing vs suburbs
    I just assume everyone lives downtown when it's probably the opposite 5555
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th January 2020 at 17:23.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    KFC in thailand is superb and I also like Popeyes though have only ever had the latter at KL LCCT.

    Chinese and Thai would be the other 2 popular takeaways in NZ although flavours are very much westernised but with good quality ingredients.
    Yes KFC in Thailand is superb
    I wouldn't eat it here but will eat it at times in Thailand

    Although I still prefer the friend chicken on the street....

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,444
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah I meant eating out(or takeout) but more in a casual place than a full on restaurant

    I ate the sushi place tonight but it's what I would consider take-out sushi not a proper restaurant

    It also could be a downtown thing vs suburbs
    I just assume everyone lives downtown when it's probably the opposite 5555
    Before I moved to China I was living in an apartment "downtown" as you guys call it. The term has never made sense to me. For us it's the city center, or just the city. Sounds like it's one step removed from 'the big smoke' 55. Just don't get the down bit. Most cities tend to be circular, so it's a relative position.

    I'm not a fan of living in the suburbs, they're so desolate and boring. Good for families, I understand.

    I love living in the midst of that great ebb and flow of commercial centers. As long as you have a quiet sanctuary and a nice view. Fuck lawns. People can shove that shit up their arse.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,664
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

    Although I still prefer the friend chicken on the street....
    There are a couple places nearby in Chiang Mai who have chickens cooking on the barbeque regularly. They sell out pretty quickly. Very tasty and I can sort of pig-out on one when I can.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,984
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  17. #17
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,181
    My 2 fave take-aways here are khao man gai and khao ka moo....chicken + rice cooked in chicken broth or stewed pork on rice...both come with a serving of broth and a sauce...

    somtam and pad kraprow kai daow are popular as well but both need to be eaten within 10 mins of preparation for me, so i only eat those in restaurants or grab them on the way home when really hungry..and I do enjoy a red or green curry as well, especially the next day...

    a more western treat I enjoy here occasionally is a fresh hot panko crusted half chicken breast (think hairy schnitzel) from the talat and whackin it on a rye sourdough sandwich with mayo, BBQ Sauce and lettuce...but that's a 2-3 times a year indulgence...

    I would probably eat one piece of KFC (breast only) a year...it seems a bit odd walking in and asking for one breast piece only..the kids there kinda look at me strangely then sell me one piece for 40 odd baht..55

    Back home late (AUS) last year I had one meat pie with peas, mashed potato and gravy and separately a sausage roll with tomato sauce...and that will do me for another year or so again...55
    Last edited by bacwaan; 25th January 2020 at 01:05.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,183
    I get a burger from 7/11 once in a while. Not much in the way of take out in my neck of the woods.
    Local markets but the food has been out in the heat most of the afternoon. nah I cook at home almost all the time.

    PS. I like a spicy chicken leg from KFC if I head into town, now and again. I am usually done with the shoping before they are open.
    Last edited by 1080; 24th January 2020 at 20:45.

  19. #19
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    I get a burger from 7/11 once in a while. Not much in the way of take out in my neck of the woods.
    Local markets but the food has been out in the heat most of the afternoon. nah I cook at home almost all the time.

    PS. I like a spicy chicken leg from KFC if I head into town, now and again. I am usually done with the shoping before they are open.
    You should try 711's green curry or tom ka gai .... better than the burger, at least healthier!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Before I moved to China I was living in an apartment "downtown" as you guys call it. The term has never made sense to me. For us it's the city center, or just the city. Sounds like it's one step removed from 'the big smoke' 55. Just don't get the down bit. Most cities tend to be circular, so it's a relative position.

    I'm not a fan of living in the suburbs, they're so desolate and boring. Good for families, I understand.

    I love living in the midst of that great ebb and flow of commercial centers. As long as you have a quiet sanctuary and a nice view. Fuck lawns. People can shove that shit up their arse.
    In Boston we call it Town
    That's it

    Kind of "folksy"
    My neighborhood is about a 8-9 minute car ride to smack dab in the center of Boston

    And I will still say "I'm going into Town"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •