Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Medicare and Bond???

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Medicare and Bond???

I was talking to a guy today at work who Migrated from England to Australia. He mentioned that when he was granted residency to Australia he had to pay a $5000 bond of which he was given back 2 years later. He said this was used for if he could not find a job to supplement paying Taxes.. He also told me that he had to pay a large sum of money to "buy in" to medicare. I understand that it is our taxes that pay for our medicare and him not paying tax in Australia would encounter a fee.. It makes a bit of sense but not sure what type of visa he applied for and what conditions he had.

I was wondering if anyone has had any thing like this for there Thai Wife becoming an Australian Resident?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I have seen some non resident workers here who are not entitled to Medicare, but
    they can get a non resident form of Medicare. Dont believe it would apply to tourists or migrants though. I think it's some kind of compromise for people who need to be in Australia longer due to work and therefore wouldn't have access to healthcare in their own country.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I think this is common for a skilled migrant and someone from the UK.... I have heard exactly the same thing but with a $15,000 bond, but on the same hand migrants from the UK are almost a walk up start with immigration unlike the 10-12mth wait for your Thai wife... A lot of elderly migrants from the UK relocate to Oz in their retirement years and the figure is a lot greater as the burden on the health system is also greater!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Thats is what i thought until he told me what he went through. His application took 3 years from when he submitted it plus it was knocked back so he was fighting it for a year.. He was a fully qualified Fire Fighter in the London and figures I quoted were just for him, there were more fees for the rest of his family...

Sounds liek this is not something We will have to put up with anyway which was my main issue

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I know a couple, He was a qualified printer and she was a hairdresser... who do you think they granted the skilled migrant visa to...
    That's right, we have a shortage of hairdressers in this country!!.... They had their visa approved immediately, he got a job within a couple of days whereas it took her about 3 weeks to get a job.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    This was back in the Eighties but when I stayed in England we had reciprocal rights to thier National Health scheme, I'm pretty sure it was the same in Canada???

But as you say I don't think it has any reference to what we are trying to do.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Oh no! I just noticed I get my Seniors Card now??????
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

A friend's parents from the UK were looking to retire in Oz and they were going to have to pay tens of thousands of dollars (from memory over 100k), and not just medicare, as they haven't contributed to the infrastructure in general. They decided to just do 6 month visits instead.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.