Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By Sydney
  • 1 Post By Minder

Thread: What happens after marriage in the way of Visa's?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

What happens after marriage in the way of Visa's?

I am trying to get everything in my head early so that when time comes I should know what to do. Can anyone help me as to where to go after a couple is married on a PMV. I was talking to a person who is married to a yank and when they went through the visa process (Last year) they had to go through bridging visa's and all sorts of different "Forms". This went completing over my head and I did not understand half the stuff he said.

I understand that once you are married on a PMV, you have to apply for a Partner Visa. Once the PMV expires can your wife stay in Australia or does she have to go to Thailand until the Partner Visa is approved? Does this partner visa take10 - 13 months to process?

Once you are married...where do I start...you need a visa to step outside the house (other than work), to sleep in, to see friends, or go to a bar...basically anything fun you need a visa for...555

Sorry, not sure about the other type of visa.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    The Aussie PMV is 2 part... requiring you to get married within 9 months of approval and the second stage from what I believe is exactly the same paperwork to be completed at the end (2 years or 18mths I think).... A bridging visa is when you apply for a PMV while on a TV, this allows you to stay on a temporary basis while immigration decide on the PMV
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I.....I understand that once you are married on a PMV, you have to apply for a Partner Visa. Once the PMV expires can your wife stay in Australia or does she have to go to Thailand until the Partner Visa is approved? Does this partner visa take10 - 13 months to process?
    Nope, you are stuck with her .... she stays day in day out, day in day out while they process the partner visa, day in day out, day in day out then the permanent residency visa, day in day out, day in day out then the citizenship day in day out, day in day out then on and on it goes day in day out, day in day out ..... *nothing+
    Sydney and PatongBeachBoy like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Nope, you are stuck with her .... she stays day in day out, day in day out while they process the partner visa, day in day out, day in day out then the permanent residency visa, day in day out, day in day out then the citizenship day in day out, day in day out then on and on it goes day in day out, day in day out ..... *nothing+
    You left out the night in night out and the night in night out............................................... .................................................. .................................................. ................
    Minder likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Umm is that when we can finally play hide the sausage? PLEASE????*nothing+*nothing+*nothing+
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Gforce the best advice I can give is do as much paperwork as you can using a computer, after 18 months on the PMV you will receive a pack in the mail with checklist and forms to apply for the PV. The Paperwork is identical except you tick PV not PMV in question 1 and add your current visa number to the list of past visa's held. If you've done it on the computer you can just adjust reprint and submit. We didn't even get a phone call to see if we were still together.

They send the pack out at about 18 months and you have about 3 months to send it back allowing 3 months for it to be approved or denied, which I didn't know about as I failed to read the cover letter properly It said if not returned in the time frame that it could effect the application. I didn't read the cover letter for about 3 and a half months and realised I better get my **** together. I thought I had the full 6 months to get it in....

I used Adobe Acrobat Writer to fill out the Immigration Departments PDF forms and save them. On a Mac you can use Preview to fill out PDF's

Thanks guys, Handy info. I am guessing the Cover letter will tell you what you need to include. I cant imagine they will need that much as they had most of it with the PMV application.
    I could not fill out the Application and save it using Adobe, it sadi it was a secure file and could not be unsecured... In the end I found a program that would do what I wanted it to do, so I do have a copy of the completed application ready to go

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Thanks guys, Handy info. I am guessing the Cover letter will tell you what you need to include. I cant imagine they will need that much as they had most of it with the PMV application. ...
    Wrong.

You answer the same questions over and over again for each type of Visa and provide the same proofs over and over again ... each step of the process is NOT a step at all ... it is an application from scratch telling them everything as if they had never heard of you or your partner before.

Condo's advice on these matters is always good.

Enjoy.
    G4orce likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

yep agree with Minder about Condo......... i didn't pay enough attention to Condos advice about using Acrobat to fill in the Visa and then save the file so i could just change a few things without having to retype the whole lot again.....you do need the right software to do this as the pdf you download from immigration and Adobe reader won't let you save...so you need Adobe Acrobat which does cost to buy (had acrobat all along with my Adobe Collection suite i use here at work....Ouch!!) ....i am sure there is some other software out there that would suffice.

Anyways as i am painstakingly retyping every little box of info from the hard copy i had, making sure i don't make any mistakes i had CONDO's voice in my head going over and over again......Save the copy, don't just print it, Save the copy, don't just print it , Save the copy, don't just print it

Ouch!!!
    Last edited by Sydney; 28th February 2012 at 18:58.

One other thing to consider in the time between visa's is don't slacken off with the photo taking of the 2 of you together....with friends and family in the shots as well.........we suddenly realized after 9 months of JK being here and went to add to proof of this time together was...where are the photos of this time???

A picture paints a thousand words!!

I am lucky that Noy was given a camera for her birthday, it comes with her everywhere and she is always taking photos. I did end up finding a program that would allow me to save the PDF so I have one already filled in which will be a time saver, Adobe Acrobat would not allow me to save it...

This is still many months away but good to know now so I know I am on the right track. The next step is to try and get a 6 month TV for Noy to come here in May... Wish me luck