Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jontymate
  • 2 Post By Minder

Thread: Dual passports?

Dual passports?

All three of my kids were born in Australia. When we were living in Thailand I also got them Thai passports to make it easier for the work and travel that I was doing in Laos.

After stuffing around for too many years we decided it would be better if my Thai wife was to get an Australian passport as we intend on doing a lot of travel to Europe and North America in the future. (Much easier on an Aussie one then a Thai one). We are currently back in Australia 'serving time' until we can get it.

I had just assumed that she would still be able to hold her Thai passport (which is also essential for our future plans) but in the last few days I have had two people tell me this cannot be done.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Who told you this?
    Have not looked at this yet but will down the track..I hold dual passports so no trouble from the Australian end.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I know of one lady who holds dual passports.... but she has become an Australian citizen so I'm not sure if that has any bearing.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    There's a thread about it here.

Whether the Thai authorities allow dual citizenship or not, if they don't know your wife has an Australian passport I can't see the problem. Perhaps keep her maiden name on the Thai PP and use her married name on the Aus one?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post

Whether the Thai authorities allow dual citizenship or not, if they don't know your wife has an Australian passport I can't see the problem. Perhaps keep her maiden name on the Thai PP and use her married name on the Aus one?
    I don't think the question was truly resolved in that thread either!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Just re-reading the post I linked to above, it seems that Mrs M has dual Thai/ Au passports with no problems.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I would have rung him but they are in Phuket.5555

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I know of one lady who holds dual passports.... but she has become an Australian citizen so I'm not sure if that has any bearing.
    Don't you have to become a citizen before gaining an Australian Passport?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I would have rung him but they are in Phuket.5555
    Well Cheif, get on a plane straight away, get over there and find out for us - use the TD petty cash tin 555, but not allowed for ST or LT, just ask Craig Thompson.

PBB, with Thipp getting her approval, this has not come up in your travels with the visa application ?

Pretty sure Jonty has mentioned that Dao has a Aussie passport, but not sure about a Thai one?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post

We have been married for 9 years so when my wife renewed her Thai passport a few years back she changed the name to her new married name.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Dao has both but was told to keep it quiet. I do not know the legalities. She enters LOS on her Thai passport Maiden name. Elsewhere on her Aussie passport (Married Name)..... so so much easier well worth the pain and forms to get. Dao is an horstralian mate on Aussie day 2010.

Memok can you share for others here why you decided to have your children born in Aussie. One of our younger members is ponding that question with his intended.
    G4orce likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Mrs M Definitely has both Aussie and Thai Passports ! I dont think she has changed her name in Thailand ( i could be wrong on that part ) , and she has also become an Australian citizen !

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I know it has been done but does it cause issues with Immigration leaving Aust on an Aussie Passport but entering Thailand on a Thai Passport? Or when travelling to and from Thailand is the Thai passport the only one used?

MeMock as Jonty said one of the younger members (myself) is interested in your reasoning behind why you choose to have your children born in Australia but I understand it is changing the subject of the Thread so if you wanted (and cared to share) you can post it here Having a baby with your TG/TW

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I know it has been done but does it cause issues with Immigration leaving Aust on an Aussie Passport but entering Thailand on a Thai Passport? Or when travelling to and from Thailand is the Thai passport the only one used?
    I never have any problems with my kids. We depart Australia showing an Australian passport and land in Thailand showing a Thai passport. They don't really care where you came from and how how you left - they just care about how you intend to get in!

Thanks to the others who have proved to me that it can be done although it would seem that my wife will have to keep quiet about the Aussie side of things when you needs to replace her current Thai passport. (It sucks they they only do 5 years instead of 10)

P.S I will go and have a look at that baby thread.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Mrs M Definitely has both Aussie and Thai Passports ! I dont think she has changed her name in Thailand ( i could be wrong on that part ) , and she has also become an Australian citizen !
    Correct. No name change ... and the Thai passport gets us into Bali without her having to pay the $25 US fee that I do ... we used her Aussie passport thru Europe ... as mentioned much easier than having to get visas for the Thai one ...
    Spot and MeMock like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Correct. No name change ... and the Thai passport gets us into Bali without her having to pay the $25 US fee that I do ... we used her Aussie passport thru Europe ... as mentioned much easier than having to get visas for the Thai one ...
    G'day China, you and Mrs M back home.. in Aus. I nearly bust a gut today as a long lost memory floated back into the brain... Remember Shelley Camp?

Thinking music Sydney 555
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    G'day China, you and Mrs M back home.. in Aus. I nearly bust a gut today as a long lost memory floated back into the brain... Remember Shelley Camp?

Thinking music Sydney 555

Not home mate yet .... Grettings from the Diamond Cliff Hotel Patong......
    Got here via Bali ... total airfares at this stage under $500 between us... ($129 + $69 plus taxes x 2 persons.)

Re Shelly - Frank Heinz and all that ? 555 The trip to Tassie was better !!!
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    I think you may have forgotten about the showers, thats why I was laughing.... Oh is that tassie when you and MH .....???

GR8 airfares, great Idea Ilsand hop and use the specials to do it...

have a great time mate and love to Mrs M.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....