Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirment visa

Cadet Gold

Retirment visa

Hi all i just received an answer to a question that i posed to the people at siam legal about what are the neccesary requirements for a retirement visa in thailand ,now i was aware of the 800,00 baht part of it but they also said that you need a monthly income of 65,000 baht now as we all know you cant get the old age pension overseas unless you live usbekistan or some other little known place as they have no agreement with thailand ,and even if you did you would not have 65,000 baht a month on the pension as it isnt that much i know of a number of americans who are on retirement visas in thailand and i dont think to many of them have a 2051 dollar a month income can anyone clarify this a bit more ,i say this because it conflicts with things i have been told before .

Cadet silver
    Sorry I can't clarify the requirements for the retirement visa. All I would say, is that I've heard and read on other forums about some very questionable "advice" give by Siam Legal in the past. So I wouldn't take it as gospel

Edit: I also always thought it was an either or thing

Cadet Gold
    i was under the same impression as another here that it was you had to have 800,000 baht in the bank or a mixture of x amount in the bank with the reaminder made up from an anuity or pension ,but i still dont see how this legal firm can put this out when it is fact you cannot get the old age pension in thailand unless you do some doggy dealings like move around a lot but even so you wil only recieve it for 6 weeks that you are out of the country as of new regulations brought in this year ,it was 13 weeks now 6 so if you wanted o explore se asia for 13 weeks ,you had better break into double time because you only got 6 now thanks julia your all heart to us oldies

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    You are listed as 52.
    Forget about the Age Pension until you are at least 13 years older.
    Forget about Siam Legal too - you don't need them if your IQ is higher than your age.

I have lived in Thailand for 5 years on an OZ Age pension plus a small "make up" bank deposit.
    I don't have to leave the Kingdom and Centrelink know I own a house here - no "doggy" (sic) moving about.

Your option is 800,000 baht "seasoned" for 3 months being over 50 for the Thai requirements with annual renewals OR proven regular monthly income of 65,000 baht OR a mixture of the two.

The 13 weeks reduced to 6 weeks probably refers to the Pension Supplement and Benefits other than the Age Pension which will still be paid until you fall off the perch (providing you were resident in OZ for 2 years before reaching your Pension Eligibility Age) etc. etc.
    Last edited by Zablive; 8th January 2013 at 19:41.

Cadet Gold
    Just read the centre link info they say that your pension is a fully means tested one if you have a working life of 25 years and if not then it is reduced acording to the amount of time you have lived in australia ,i beleive this is how i read it ,yes i am only 52 but better to keep ahead of things the way they change here .Y our explanation of the requirements for a retirement visa are what i have been led to beleive ,i dont understand how a legal firm can not be correct in their correspondence on a matter like this,and to boot they actually quoted a price on their services to me as if i am going to pay them to do it for me ,i think i would be able to cope with it and deal with centerlink as well .i probably wont leave oz until i do retire but after seeing the way pensioners live here now it aint the way i planned to live in my retirement so i may go there sooner than later ,oh by the way what is (sic)?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I think I will believe "Zab Legal" on this one as he is on the OAP and I feel sure his bank account will bear out what he says...555
    Still, when the time comes to get the age pension, your best bet is to lay your cards out to Centrelink well before you make the move, as after all, they will be your new "Employer".
    You are correct in saying that the rules are changing all the time with new requirements cutting in from January 2013 and January 2014 thanks to the last budget.
    As Zab says, you have 13 more budgets to survive before you get anything, and who knows what this ever more bankrupt government will stoop to when it comes to selling out it's own people.

Government Commercial circa 2025
    "Can't afford to live in Australia anymore? Don't worry. Your Government cares for its old people so welcome to our new government funded, outsourced SERCO managed, OAP Retirement homes.....in sunny Nauru...".)
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Cadet Gold
    Yes you are right but its 13 more years to save like never before as well ,neither party gives a hoot about this country or its people it is who can get the top job ,your slant on cica 2025 is probably to generous they will no doubt class the homes as renovaters delight and there will be not one but two new suburbs manus island being the second one tropical paradise ,it will be extreamly novel having air delivered groceries once a month ,in all seriousness zab is right and so are you its a long way off but forwarned is forarmed.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Agree with Zab.
    My 800k will be seasoned on the 24th of this month, wherein I will go to Imm. in Phuket Town with bankbook and pertinent Passport copies made downstairs , fill in the paperwork provided , pay the 1800 ( maybe 1900?) baht and receive another years ok to stay.
    I will then fill in another form , pay 3800 baht , and be awarded a 'Multi - entry"stamp , allowing me to come and go as I please.

I honestly think all this will be different in 13 years time...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You are listed as 52.
    Forget about the Age Pension until you are at least 13 years older.
    Forget about Siam Legal too - you don't need them if your IQ is higher than your age.

I have lived in Thailand for 5 years on an OZ Age pension plus a small "make up" bank deposit.
    I don't have to leave the Kingdom and Centrelink know I own a house here - no "doggy" (sic) moving about.

Your option is 800,000 baht "seasoned" for 3 months being over 50 for the Thai requirements with annual renewals OR proven regular monthly income of 65,000 baht OR a mixture of the two.

The 13 weeks reduced to 6 weeks probably refers to the Pension Supplement and Benefits other than the Age Pension which will still be paid until you fall off the perch (providing you were resident in OZ for 2 years before reaching your Pension Eligibility Age) etc. etc.
    All true but the highlighted part doesn`t have to be proven at the Oz BKK embassy i`m led to believe by more than one source (i don`t repeat too much from one comment made at any bar ).

Just turning up ensures that you get the letter you need!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    All true but the highlighted part doesn`t have to be proven at the Oz BKK embassy i`m led to believe by more than one source (i don`t repeat too much from one comment made at any bar ).

Just turning up ensures that you get the letter you need!
    Yessss - but now , as of last week, at Phuket Immigration for the first time IME I was asked by Immigration for back-up evidence to support the source of the funds justifying the Consular letter. ( being that sort of guy I had the evidence with me).

Thai Immi aren't dummies - and I'm sure they are well aware of forum advice (elsewhere) advocating swearing false affidavits (which is a Federal offence as you are standing on your country's property at the Consulate/Embassy.)

So, Immigration advised me to attach the back-up documents to the affidavit and have the Consul stamp each page -this is the new procedure here in Phuket.

P.S. Actual income evidence is required - capital gains don't count.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Looks like things are getting harder to prove for expats? Still I can't understand how there are so many stories of Farangs with no money at all living on the streets for years in Thailand without any real penalty. There was also a story recently of a schizophrenic nomad living in SEA on a permanent basis on the disability pension alone. It is obvious you couldn't get a long term visa under those conditions.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Those deserved of a fair go rarely get it , those honest folk that really need help cant get any , and those who flout all convention get away with it...

In that respect , Thailand is just like Australia C1 !!!

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Looks like things are getting harder to prove for expats? Still I can't understand how there are so many stories of Farangs with no money at all living on the streets for years in Thailand without any real penalty. There was also a story recently of a schizophrenic nomad living in SEA on a permanent basis on the disability pension alone. It is obvious you couldn't get a long term visa under those conditions.
    I read that he has won the right to retain his dsp from the auustralian government because he can live better in SEA than he can in australia ,so what about all the others ,pensioners unemployed ect ,i think it is more a case of they dont want the loonies in australia so well let them run all over SEA ,sorry if this offends some people but he is supposed to be on a DSP it is not a nomad support pension otherwise we would all be on it.

Loonies running all over SEA - sounds like a fair description of expats 555!

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Loonies running all over SEA - sounds like a fair description of expats 555!

Cadet Bronze
    Just to clarify some facts.
    My pensions must be paid into an Aust bank account but I can get Australian Embassy to certify that I receive the actual amount and it counts to the 65K Baht monthly income?
    Do the use the pre tax or taxed amount for this?
    Where do they grab the exchange rate from, if I get 32.8 Baht to AUD my after tax pension hits the 65K without any investments needed to meet the required numbers?

Cadet Gold
    iI was always under the assumption you had to have 800,000 baht in the bank to prove you could support yourself before being able to get a retirement visa ,is that the current rate of exchange mick ? i thought it was around 30.6 baht to the dollar ,i think the pound is only getting 42

Cadet Bronze
    ^ Crispy, no that is not the current rate but it the rate I need for my after tax pension to hit 65K Baht. So I was looking for info on what exchange rate they use as every organisation be they commercial or government seem to pluck their own rate that suits them.

If you are using the "mix and match" option - certified income plus "Seasoned" deposit to reach 65,000 baht per month:-

1. swear an affidavit at the Australian Embassy or before an Honorary Consul (there is one in Phuket) as to your monthly income and recent change - supporting documents attached to the affidavit.
    It is a very serious offence to swear a false affidavit - it can carry jail time.

2. if less than 65K you need to deposit in a Thai bank an amount to make up the monthly deficit - e.g. if 60K pension add 5000 x 12 = 60,000 Baht.
    For the initial application for a retirement extension (from an O visa) the bank deposit needs to be "seasoned" for two months before the application, then in subsequent years for 3 months.

3. the easiest way to do this is to get a Non Immigrant "O" visa in your home country and before it expires get, in Thailand a "Retirement Extension" valid for one year with 90 day reporting of address (no border runs).
    The (minimum) 3 months "O" visa allows plenty of time to set up a Thai bank account and do the "Initial seasoning" if the poo ying don't get it first.

4. Use the exchange rate of your Thai bank (where you'll be sending your pension payments) on the day you make your affidavit.
    Sorry - but the days of 32.8 Baht/AUD are gone.

5. the day before your application for the "Retirement Extension" you need to go to your Thai bank and get a letter certifying your "seasoned deposit".

6. To receive the Age Pension overseas you need to be "resident" in Australia for two years before (or after) the date you become eligible
    Centrelink has it's own guidelines for determining "residency".
    Once you have received the Pension, satisfying the residency requirement, you can live overseas until you die and receive the Age pension - "You are gold".

It's not as difficult as it sounds and there is no need to pay exorbitant amounts to "agents" - if you can't do it yourself you'll be mince meat in Thailand 55555!

EDIT: You can't fool Centrelink - they are directly linked to OZ Immigration computers.
    Last edited by Zablive; 3rd April 2013 at 13:57.

Kasikorn Bank today.

AUD cash - 30.14

CC Atm withdrawal - 29.3 (20,000 baht plus AUD$5 at both ends).

There are a lot of FX rates quoted - often charges are overlooked.

These are actual.

For your "seasoned deposit" you have forecast what your pension is worth in baht in 3 months time.
    Work on 27 at the moment to be safe.

You can withdraw that straight after your Retirement Extension is granted - but best to leave it there as a small "safety net" or for next year.
    Last edited by Zablive; 3rd April 2013 at 13:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast