Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When and How can a TG work in Australia

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Question When and How can a TG work in Australia

As i am new to the whole Visa thing I have a couple more questions, this time in relation to a TG working (legally) in Australia.

My TG keeps asking me when she can work in Australia because she wants to be able to send more money home to Mum(and I guess to support her shopping addiction 555). I understand a Tourist Visa would mean NO working what-so-ever, but what needs to be done after that for her to be able to work in Australia?

After a tourist Visa or 2 can she get a Working Visa?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    She will be allowed to work on her partner visa and also on a student visa for I think 30 hrs a week

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    She will be allowed to work on her partner visa and also on a student visa for I think 30 hrs a week
    Ok thanks. How can you get a student visa? Does she have to study here?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Student visa page required reading for those that want this visa and those helping in application.
    [SIZE="3"]Student visa Australia start here[/SIZE]

I've met a few TG's out here that are on bogus student visas.... they have to study, and most I have found are studying english (so not a bad thing)....
    I'll try get more of the low down as I think it is possibly a back door that most of us have not considered.. at least they can work

I've met a few TG's out here that are on bogus student visas.... they have to study, and most I have found are studying english (so not a bad thing)....
    I'll try get more of the low down as I think it is possibly a back door that most of us have not considered.. at least they can work
    Yeah i have had a quick read through the link provided by Wabs, you are considered studying if you are doing a specific English learning course. I just have to look more into what sort of course it will be. It allows you to work 20 hours a week and there are assessments involved to prove you have be learning something. It could be a good way to do it. But requires more investigation

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Ok thanks. How can you get a student visa? Does she have to study here?

You need to wade through all the dept of immigration stuff to even begin to answer that one. (See link below).
    Yes she will have to study here, and pay all the fees up front. What are her english reading and writing skills like?

What you may find is :

*She has to apply and be accepted while she is still outside Australia.
    *Can only apply for permission to work after starting the course of study (And presumably paying all the fees up front!).
    *Her english skills will have to be excellent to compete with all the "Home grown" students for jobs.
    *Hours of work are limited for a student (And employers know it), so sometimes you are paid for 30HPW but in reality work 40-50 because of competition.

A lot of good stuff on here

Student visa requirements
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    The application fee is $550 and you need to have her been accepted into a study school, and have paid their fees before the application.

After the visa is granted, and she is here, she then has to apply for permission to work. Not a forgone result. It is limited to 20 hrs/ week and also specific times.

It is a mixed box of tricks, some say it is the way to go, others say it is a nightmare.

The benifit is it can be for up to 12 months, this then could help qualify for partner visa.

Student Visa does sound like more then a pain then its worth.

if it all comes together its not such a bad thing... 1.she gets to study english.. 2.she gets to work 20hrs a week 3.she gets a 12mth visa...... worth a look IMO

if it all comes together its not such a bad thing... 1.she gets to study english.. 2.she gets to work 20hrs a week 3.she gets a 12mth visa...... worth a look IMO
    I will still have a look around but have to see what sort of courses there are available and at what costs. I am sure the courses you have to choose from are in the city or something ultra expensive so may not be an option. I will be sure to pass everything on to here

there is a young girl at the local Thai restaurant who's out on a student visa... I might use it as an excuse to go for dinner, and ask her what she's studying

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Nings friend is on a student visa doing child care and is working 20h per week. She is also looking for a husband before the visa runs out 555555

I would say shes above average attractive but is running out of time and is being pushy with lets get married which in turn scares off the guys and then she has to start again with less time and the clock ticking makes me laugh.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Nings friend is on a student visa doing child care and is working 20h per week. She is also looking for a husband before the visa runs out 555555

I would say shes above average attractive but is running out of time and is being pushy with lets get married which in turn scares off the guys and then she has to start again with less time and the clock ticking makes me laugh.
    Would be a hard start? Student visa......short term partner visa....

Just go for the fiancée visa, bit more paperwork but she can work. If its not working out after 9 months or before you can send her home.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Just go for the fiancée visa, bit more paperwork but she can work. If its not working out after 9 months or before you can send her home.
    ......Consider this however....(there is no "right" answer to your question).....the Fiancee Visa does not give her coverage under Medicare or entitle her to any migrant benefits such as the 500 hours of English lessons.....it is as much paperwork as a Spouse Visa and requires medical and police clearances etc.... having brought Mrs M out here on one, the Fiancee Visa seemed to be little more than a glorified tourist visa....

IF you marry whilst she is here on the Visa she can remain in Oz....that is its only benefit.....then you still have to go thru the Spouse/Partner Visa application process (and pay the fee).....

....and your girl will work in what highly visible occupation? A Government job? TV personality? Please...

Since most of the menial jobs that will employ her anyway - sorry but it is true - are still cash-in-hand off-the-books type work , the permission to work is mostly a moot point - or do what Mrs M and I did and start something of your own - An E.bay store, recurring garage sales, any cash based buying and selling or an internet based business (not a forum, try and keep some self-respect)

For us it was a Sunday Market Stall - you might be surprised how much money you can make - I was.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    ......Consider this however....(there is no "right" answer to your question).....the Fiancee Visa does not give her coverage under Medicare or entitle her to any migrant benefits such as the 500 hours of English lessons.....it is as much paperwork as a Spouse Visa and requires medical and police clearances etc.... having brought Mrs M out here on one, the Fiancee Visa seemed to be little more than a glorified tourist visa....

IF you marry whilst she is here on the Visa she can remain in Oz....that is its only benefit.....then you still have to go thru the Spouse/Partner Visa application process (and pay the fee).....

....and your girl will work in what highly visible occupation? A Government job? TV personality? Please...

Since most of the menial jobs that will employ her anyway - sorry but it is true - are still cash-in-hand off-the-books type work , the permission to work is mostly a moot point - or do what Mrs M and I did and start something of your own - An E.bay store, recurring garage sales, any cash based buying and selling or an internet based business (not a forum, try and keep some self-respect)

For us it was a Sunday Market Stall - you might be surprised how much money you can make - I was.

Enjoy
    What are you doing at the Sunday markets???

We go to them here as well and they have all sorts of food but no Thai. I was thinking a couple of gas woks, and an esky or two. Ning could do Som Tam and I would do quick stir frys like Pad See Ew and Pad Krapow. Have some pre prepared red and green curries and so forth.

I recon you would make a killing

little bit involved these days with selling food... I think there might be some regulations on pre-cooked food.. you will need to do the safe food handling course.... the only leniency they give is to the good old sausage sizzle

little bit involved these days with selling food... I think there might be some regulations on pre-cooked food.. you will need to do the safe food handling course.... the only leniency they give is to the good old sausage sizzle
    I imagine the Thai Food Poisoning Stall wouldn't go down too well... 555

I guess this is why I havnt bothered all to hard and would have to get up about 4am on a Sunday (no thanks)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast