Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Passport - need over 1yr validity before any long-term Visa

Passport - need over 1yr validity before any long-term Visa

One more thing to be aware of in terms of any planned long-stay in Thailand, new regulation below and an explanation from Phuket Immigration

Announcement
    According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.
    After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).
    In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.
    and an article from Phuket Gazette:

Officers at Phuket Immigration are calling for all foreigners whose passports are set to expire within the coming year to ensure they are issued new passports and apply – and are issued – new long-term permits-to-stay* before their current permits expire.

The call follows a new regulation issued by the Immigration Bureau on August 13, explained Lt Col Napat Nusen at Phuket Immigration.

“The regulation is now in effect in Phuket, and all other immigration offices across the country,” Col Napat said.

Under the new regulation, immigration officers will no longer issue one-year permits-to-stay that extend beyond the expiry date on a passport.

“Previously, 12-month permits-to-stay could be issued in the current passport, and later transferred into the new passport. That is no longer possible,” Col Napat said.

Consequently, applicants whose passports expire during an extension of stay must reapply for a new extension of stay after receiving their new passports.

“The fee for applying for a 12-month permit-to-stay remains at 1,900 baht,” Col Napat said.

However, the new rule will not affect those who already have been issued permits-to-stay.

“Foreigners who already have a permit-to-stay that extends beyond the expiry date on their passport will be allowed to have their current permit-to-stay transferred into their new passport when it arrives,” Col Napat said.

“The new rule will phase this out,” he added.

“We strongly suggest that people have at least 18 months left on their passports when they apply for 12-month permits-to-stay. This gives them enough time to apply for their next passport and next permit-to-stay," he said.

I was not aware that Immigration would even issue a visa beyond the term of a passport and transfer it to a new one. Most countries, as far as I am aware, require that a passport is good for six months beyond the term of any visa they issue in it.

What is meant by a long term.... a one year Non-Imm B visa? Or is it residence or something?

Whatever, it makes the five year passport, that my home country now issues, useful for not much more than four years.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I was not aware that Immigration would even issue a visa beyond the term of a passport and transfer it to a new one. Most countries, as far as I am aware, require that a passport is good for six months beyond the term of any visa they issue in it.

What is meant by a long term.... a one year Non-Imm B visa? Or is it residence or something?

Whatever, it makes the five year passport, that my home country now issues, useful for not much more than four years.
    my wife gets a work permit for Canada that mirrors mine
    but we got kind of screwed because when she applied for her work permit, her passport was only good for 17 more months
    being in Canada, she had to wait until 90 days before the expiry date to renew her work permit
    so we then had to apply for an extension on her work permit once she got the new passport.......so an extra 150cad

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    no longer issue one-year permits-to-stay
    I had an 'almost' problem last year in Vientiane; my 5yr passport had one year and eight months to run but just four blank pages left - didn't get told how many I should have but four was 'not enough' but i got away with it
    I was aware of course re how few pages I had but was deliberately trying to 'save' by having the Thai exit stamp, Laos visa (one full page), Laos entry and exit stamps, Thai visa (one full page) and Thai re-entry stamps in this passport to fill it up.
    Got a new passport soon as I got back, and had Visa info transferred to new one; to do this had to attend a border crossing as local Immigration Office wouldn't do it (lucky not far to border for me). Cost 200 baht and about ten minutes. And new stamps showing they'd sighted old passport/visa, took up two pages of new passport so in the end my saving attempt achieved very little. Not as clever as I thought I may have been.