Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zablive

Thread: Non-Immi O Visa Extension - Retirement

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

Non-Immi O Visa Extension - Retirement

Does anyone have any info on the period of time before an O Visa Extension expires it can be renewed?

The reason is Larry Cunningham, the OZ Honorary Consul for Phuket is retiring on September 30th and I need paperwork certified by a Consul to renew in December (hoping this doesn't mean a trip for 2 to BKK).

EDIT: Googen is my friend

If using monthly income the Consul's certification must be less than six months old.
    The Bank letter (if a balance is required) must be less than seven days old
    and unlike the 800,000 baht deposit method there is no "seasoning" period required.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I think I read that you are allowed to apply to renew your extension 45 days BEFORE the due date.

However this contradicts the above -

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...endingStay.pdf
    ( scroll down to FAQs )

Im a bit surprised our resident KIA hasnt TOLD you already...555

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I think I read that you are allowed to apply to renew your extension 45 days BEFORE the due date.

However this contradicts the above -

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...endingStay.pdf

( scroll down to FAQs )

Im a bit surprised our resident KIA hasnt TOLD you already...555
    Thanks Chobby - that is a really useful link for all annual extensions.

My main issue was getting an income verification letter before Larry Cunningham retired (September 30th).
    Fortunately Thai Immi has reversed the period of validity for this letter from 15 days back to the original 6 months validity.
    If Larry isn't replaced it looks like a trip to BKK next year unless this can be done by mail.

Okay looking to try for a retirement visa next year, up till now have only entered Thailand on 30 day visa exemption (5x this year); I have a Thai Bank account but want to add my UK pensions to make the sum of THB 800,000. Though some web information suggests the visa can be obtained in the UK it appears easier to get it in Thailand, now for the questions: "Using a combination of income and bank balance, no time requirement on how long funds should have been in bank. The monthly income shown in the Embassy letter x 12 months added to the bank balance should total 800,000 Baht or more
    Is this easy to get the UK embassy in Bangkok to write a letter when I have the UK pensions annual pension notification letter? Can anything be done with the Thai Office in Chiang Mai or is it only Bangkok that issues retirement visa's? Does the airport Chiang Mai office still function or is the New office (is it Ton Poa area) the best place to go?

You are confusing a Visa (which is only issued outside of LOS) and an Extension to a Non-Immigrant "O" visa (done annually at your local Thai Immi office).

There is reams of this on the Thaivisa forum or more concisely at Pattayacityexpatsclub/visas (thanks Chob!)

Either way you start with a Visa (not a 30 day visa exempt stamp) obtained outside of Thailand.

N.B. Note that most Immi offices here require your "Balance" (if using the Income + .. option) now to be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the application plus a letter from your bank plus an Income Affadavit from your Embassy (no longer accepted from Honorary Consulates here in LOS).

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You are confusing a Visa (which is only issued outside of LOS) and an Extension to a Non-Immigrant "O" visa (done annually at your local Thai Immi office).

There is reams of this on the Thaivisa forum or more concisely at Pattayacityexpatsclub/visas (thanks Chob!)

Either way you start with a Visa (not a 30 day visa exempt stamp) obtained outside of Thailand.

N.B. Note that most Immi offices here require your "Balance" (if using the Income + .. option) now to be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the application plus a letter from your bank plus an Income Affadavit from your Embassy (no longer accepted from Honorary Consulates here in LOS).
    Disclaimer: I just had a few beers with a guy in my village who said that his mate (yes...yes...all 3rd hand beer talk) tried to renew and was told that the 3mths bank balance has been changed to 12 mths...wasn't too interested as it doesn't affect me (not old enough) but just thought I'd put it out there.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Disclaimer: I just had a few beers with a guy in my village who said that his mate (yes...yes...all 3rd hand beer talk) tried to renew and was told that the 3mths bank balance has been changed to 12 mths...wasn't too interested as it doesn't affect me (not old enough) but just thought I'd put it out there.
    Your mate's mate is talking bollocks.
    My missus did her visa extension yesterday.
    The money needs to be in the bank for 90 days. Same as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Previously (as the Regulation states) if using the Income plus make-up Bank balance method the balance was as "on the day of application".
    Now all Bank certified amounts in practice have to be three months for renewal of Extensions.

No idea what applies for an "OA" Visa obtained at an Embassy or Consulate overseas as they all seem to have their own interpretations of the Regulations for Visas.

Thank you all and Zab this extract from Pattaya C.E.C adds to the confused state I am in:- However, if you qualify as a retiree and did not obtain a Non Immigrant O A visa in your home country or obtain a Non Immigrant O Visa for entry (i.e. entered using a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt status). Thai Immigration will allow you apply for a Non Immigrant “O” Visa at the Thai Immigration Office on Changwatana in Bangkok and will grant a 90 day permission to stay, which then can be extended for one year at the Thai Immigration office serving your geographical location. Which would be Chiang Mai for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    5555....fair enough

Not all Immi locations will allow the Extension process to start from an exempt entry stamp.
    Some will only commence the process from a Non-Immi "O" visa and some from a Tourist visa.
    So, if you can get a Non-Immi "O" from your home country then you are good to go (in most offices, not all).

Sorry if that confuses you more but each Immi office is their own fiefdom with their own rules - as is each overseas Thai consulate.

Best to ask this question in a Chiang Mai forum as I'm not aware of BKK taking applications from outside their catchment area - maybe phone and ask?
    mechime likes this.

My bad accidental cross post.....&&&

No worries - all the more reason to get a Visa!

For all those Agony Aunts/repetive offenders - FIFO is your answer (to total ban on 30 day Out/Ins at Thai/Cambo land borders).
    So the "free stamp ride" looks over.
    Last edited by Zablive; 18th September 2015 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    No worries - all the more reason to get a Visa!

For all those Agony Aunts/repetive offenders - FIFO is your answer (to total ban on 30 day Out/Ins at Thai/Cambo land borders).
    So the "free stamp ride" looks over.
    Not sure I'm reading your post correctly, but FIFO has been clamped down on also if entering the kingdom on visa exemption....