Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: New - 3 Dec 2013: Visa Restrictions for (Foriegn) Married Couples

New - 3 Dec 2013: Visa Restrictions for (Foriegn) Married Couples

from Pattaya Today 3 December 2013

The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that the foreign wives of expats with a one-year retirement visa will in future need their own separate pension income or cash in a Thai bank.

In the past, these wives have been able to “join” their husband’s visa by simply showing a marriage certificate and a current non-immigrant visa in their passport. It was not necessary for both partners to show their own income or cash.

Under the revised guidelines, both foreign partners in a marriage will separately need to demonstrate yearly income in the first country of at least 800,000 baht equivalent or maintain separate bank accounts of the same minimum amount, or provide a combination of both. Letters from an embassy are still required as proof of the income whilst the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank must have been there for three months prior to the application and be supported by a letter from that financial institution.

The toughening up of the rules on retirement visas is believed to have been caused by concerns that some farang-farang marriages are not genuine or may have broken up.

The requirement for each partner to show evidence of 800,000 baht in cash or income, or a combination of both, is seen as the best guarantee from an Immigration Bureau viewpoint. Nor is it possible for a married couple to present a joint bank account. Each partner is now treated as a separate entity.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Fresh out of Thai Immi this morning I got knocked back on my Pensions plus bank balance making up to 800,000 baht (before it was make up to 65,000 per month which is 780,000 for those who do the math).

The reason was - the Balance had to be in the bank for 3 months.

Now Royal Police Order No. 206 (not Thai Geezer etc) says " 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months OR Pension (with Embassy letter) plus balance making up to 800,000 per month on the day of Application[

Pretty clear eh?

However it says at the end of several pages - " Up to the Immigration Officer " - TIT.

Fortunately the Immi Captain lady with the perpetual headache face remembered us and after much discussion said come back on number 28 - look better!
    (After she stamps me in I'll give her the appropriate reference clause from the big Immi boss).

The first "officer" didn't have a clue on the "Mix and match option".

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Fresh out of Thai Immi this morning I got knocked back on my Pensions plus bank balance making up to 800,000 baht (before it was make up to 65,000 per month which is 780,000 for those who do the math).

The reason was - the Balance had to be in the bank for 3 months.

Now Royal Police Order No. 206 (not Thai Geezer etc) says " 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months OR Pension (with Embassy letter) plus balance making up to 800,000 per month on the day of Application[

Pretty clear eh?

However it says at the end of several pages - " Up to the Immigration Officer " - TIT.

Fortunately the Immi Captain lady with the perpetual headache face remembered us and after much discussion said come back on number 28 - look better!
    (After she stamps me in I'll give her the appropriate reference clause from the big Immi boss).

The first "officer" didn't have a clue on the "Mix and match option".
    Let's hope the Captain lady is working that day. Otherwise you could be facing a hasty visa run to cover your seasoning period.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Let's hope the Captain lady is working that day. Otherwise you could be facing a hasty visa run to cover your seasoning period.
    Yeah - wheelchair access, two airfares, just on NYE - Great.!!
    Two visa runs actually as I'll only get 30 days per run as I don't think they can extend the "extension" beyond its expiry date ( c/f with a visa run just before an O visa expires giving you 90 days.)
    This could be a clusterfck - or someone will have a "Happy New Year" making it the first bribe I've paid in living here for over 5 years.

And I've followed the law to the letter!
    Last edited by Zablive; 4th December 2013 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    from Pattaya Today 3 December 2013

The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that the foreign wives of expats with a one-year retirement visa will in future need their own separate pension income or cash in a Thai bank.
    Increased incentive to leave the old gal back home and shack up with a local bit of stuff.

Another tightening up - Melbourne Thai Consulate no longer issues Non-Immi "O" visas - they refer you to Sydney ...