Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest on Chiang Mai Retirement extension

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

Latest on Chiang Mai Retirement extension

Can you convert a TV to Non-Immi "O" to Retirement Extension in Chiang Mai, like you can at Phuket Immi ?

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Yes

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Yes

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2
    No charge to use Tapatalk Nora
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Can you convert a TV to Non-Immi "O" to Retirement Extension in Chiang Mai, like you can at Phuket Immi ?
    I went to HKT immigration today to convert a TV to a Non O but the place was packed and I was on a schedule so will go back tomorrow to do it. I did have time to ask the volunteers a question, What date will the Non O start and for what duration. I was told it will start from the end of the TV, 5th Jan in my case and be valid for 90 from that date so expire early April. Can anyone confirm this is correct as if it is I have no need to rush to get it done. Also how long is the letter from the bank stating you have the required funds valid for, I forgot to ask when they gave it to me.

The reason I ask is I have had duff info from the volunteers before. I asked them what documents I needed to get a Non O for a retirement visa and they told me you do not need any documents, just say at the Embassy why you want it. Well I knew this was false so took bank statements and medical but was knocked back at KL for the Non O as the wanted the criminal record check as well. Anyway I went back to immigration and handed the printed sheet stipulating the requirements given to me by the Embassy only to be told by the volunteers, oh just ignore them they don't know what they are talking about, but, but, but they are the ones issuing the visas, how can I ignore them. 55555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    criminal check is necessary when getting an O or OA outside of Thailand...not necessary in Thailand...I was also required to have medical certification outside LOS

Initial conversion (to O) is valid for 90 days anytime after that is granted (no longer than 90 days) you can apply for the yearly O (retirement)

The letter from the bank is normally required to be no older than a week....but it depends on the issuing officer...some will allow longer

Good luck with it all Soups

Yeah -I'm always there in December and I've never seen it so packed.
    All farangs too - not the usual Myanmar hordes.
    I'm going back on Xmas Day - should be less tourists.

Yes - if you convert a Visa to another type of Visa (TV to Non-Immi "O") your new "O" visa will start from the expiry of your TV for 90 days If you convert your "O" visa to a Retirement Extension that will start for one year from the expiry of your "O" visa.
    I believe in Phuket you need 7 days left on your Non-Immi "O" (perhaps on your TV too??) to convert it to a Retirement Extension ( the Extension is exactly the same in effect as a Retirement OA Visa but a lot less hassle).
    But that can change at every visit 555!

This is a good site Soupy <pattayacityexpatsclub.com> for current visa/extension details.
    Last edited by Zablive; 19th December 2013 at 18:06.

In Phuket Immi the lady Captain boss (as of Dec 4th at least) requires a bank certification and passbook updates no older than 7 days (I have to do it again).

In Phuket Immi the lady Captain boss (as of Dec 4th at least) requires a bank certification and passbook updates no older than 7 days (I have to do it again).
    OK cheers for that Baz and Nels, best do it tomorrow as I got the letter Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    OK cheers for that Baz and Nels, best do it tomorrow as I got the letter Tuesday.
    NB. In Phuket now get a ticket/number from the TVPs - that's a useful role for them ...
    Even though the place was chockers we still only waited 20 minutes to be served by some dolt who told me I had to go to Bangkok !
    Asked to see The Boss ...

NB. In Phuket now get a ticket/number from the TVPs - that's a useful role for them ...
    Even though the place was chockers we still only waited 20 minutes to be served by some dolt who told me I had to go to Bangkok !
    Asked to see The Boss ...
    OK Baz. I think I will wear my Greenpeace T-Shirt in protest at the small rainforest that has died to make the number of photocopies I have got through so far with the bank and immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    OK Baz. I think I will wear my Greenpeace T-Shirt in protest at the small rainforest that has died to make the number of photocopies I have got through so far with the bank and immigration.
    That wont work Soupy - shirt with collar required or they throw you out 55555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    My recent experience converting a TV to O was a bit different from what Baz and Nels have described.

Maybe I was stiffed by the PT Immi officer but my new O was 90 days from the date of the upgrade being granted - even though there were 54 days left to run on the TV.

I checked the dates in my passport. I entered Thailand on 1 August on a 60 day TV. I upgraded it to an O on 6 August and was given 90 days from 6 August to 3 November. I showed my bank passbook at the time to demonstrate that I had started seasoning and advised that my intention was to pursue the retirement extension - but I didn't have a supporting bank letter at the time.

I seasoned my 800+K in my Kasikorn account and applied for the 12 month retirement extension. I was granted the 12 month extension on 3 October for the period from 3 November 2013 to 3 November 2014.

I got my letter from Kasikorn Bank the day before the extension application, so I can't advise about that.

I was told that I was only allowed to apply for the extension when I was into the last 30 days of the O visa.
    Last edited by Nubbins; 19th December 2013 at 19:06.

At the bottom of every Order issued they say - " Up to the Immi Officer on the day".

Here rules are guidelines ...

Yes - if you convert a Visa to another type of Visa (TV to Non-Immi "O") your new "O" visa will start from the expiry of your TV for 90 days
    Well I went back this morning and spoke to a different TVP who said the same as yesterday, the Non O will start from the end of the TV, 5th Jan. Submitted the paperwork paid the fee and when passport was returned the Non O starts from today until 19th March. The TVPs at the front are saying one thing and the guy who actually issues the visa only metres away says something else. TIT.

I believe in Phuket you need 7 days left on your Non-Immi "O" (perhaps on your TV too??) to convert it to a Retirement Extension ( the Extension is exactly the same in effect as a Retirement OA Visa but a lot less hassle). But that can change at every visit 555!
    I asked about this as well. The official line is you can do it up to 45 days before expiry though they recommend only 30, no idea why, and can do it right up until the visa expires, no 7 days before necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    My recent experience converting a TV to O was a bit different from what Baz and Nels have described.

Maybe I was stiffed by the PT Immi officer but my new O was 90 days from the date of the upgrade being granted - even though there were 54 days left to run on the TV.
    Same as me.

At the bottom of every Order issued they say - " Up to the Immi Officer on the day".

Here rules are guidelines ...
    Amen to that.

All in all a painless experience, the hardest part was the traffic getting to immigration early in the morning.

^^
    The 12 month extension does start at the end of the O visa 90 days but converting from TV to O only yields 90 days from the date of issue of the O.

My experience was also fairly painless and it left me feeling that I am now a bit more settled here.

^^
    The 12 month extension does start at the end of the O visa 90 days but converting from TV to O only yields 90 days from the date of issue of the O.

My experience was also fairly painless and it left me feeling that I am now a bit more settled here.
    For the first time in 13 years I won't have to do visa runs. I think I am gonna miss it, NOT. 5555

I will still make regular trips out of the country but now I am free to choose the dates.

^^
    Yes mate, it's a good feeling.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this (but for the sake of others who might read it) do make sure you get a multiple re-entry permit on the day you get your 12 month extension. It's a separate form with a separate fee on a different desk but it can be done on the same day.

The multiple re-entry permit is the key to true freedom to come and go as you please. Without it, your hard won 12 month retirement extension is cancelled the first time you leave the country.

^^
    Yes mate, it's a good feeling.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this (but for the sake of others who might read it) do make sure you get a multiple re-entry permit on the day you get your 12 month extension. It's a separate form with a separate fee on a different desk but it can be done on the same day.

The multiple re-entry permit is the key to true freedom to come and go as you please. Without it, your hard won 12 month retirement extension is cancelled the first time you leave the country.
    That was one question I was going to ask in the near future, but now I don't need to, cheers.

^^
    Multiple-entry permit was relatively expensive - 2,900 baht if I remember correctly. You apply for it as soon as you have your extension stamp in your passport - front row of desks.

^^
    Multiple-entry permit was relatively expensive - 2,900 baht if I remember correctly. You apply for it as soon as you have your extension stamp in your passport - front row of desks.
    Single re-entry 1000 baht - multiple re-entry 3800 baht.
    Definitely do this before you leave the Kingdom or it's back to square one and re-qualify for all the conditions starting with a TV from outside the country.
    P.S. They often "don't have change" 555!

Good onyah for the Retirement Extension Soupy.
    Last edited by Zablive; 20th December 2013 at 16:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast