Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Weeks in Thailand ?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

5 Weeks in Thailand ?

My mate flew out lastnight to Phuket and will be staying their and Samui for 4 weeks, from the 22nd of December to the 22nd of January, he's just found out I will be up in Chiang Mai from the 18th of January and he wants to join me for about a week.

What does he have to do to extend his Visa so he can stay 5 weeks instead of the 4 weeks, will he have to do a visa run ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I once overstayed by two days , when I discovered what was going to happen I went to immigration in Patong to get an extension , they told me it would just be cheaper to pay the overstay fine at the Airport when I left

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    It seems he only needs a couple of extra days so @ 500 baht a day overstay fine it might be cheaper, as mentioned above, than 1900 baht for an Extension (only 7 days if no Tourist Visa).
    This might help -

" If you should decide to stay longer in Thailand than 30 days and haven't applied for a regular visa in advance, you can apply for a 7-day extension at a fee of 1,900 Baht at your local immigration office. (If you travel with a 60-day tourist visa, you may extend your stay for 30 days.)
    Required documents include the fully-filled extension form (TM. 7), a copy of your passport and a passport picture (4x6cm). "
    Last edited by Zablive; 23rd December 2013 at 11:24.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    He can apply and more than likely get a 7 day extension at an immigration office. best to wait until a few days-week before the 30 day expiry and have some sort of medical reason ready if they ask.
    Ear infection or sick travel buddy or some sort of reason for delay in flying should work.

So is it safe to assume that it's easier to just pay 2k at the airport instead of ****ing around at the immigration office to save 100 baht? I booked my trip for 34 days thinking I'd be on the 60 day tourist visa, but I read the requirements wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
    So is it safe to assume that it's easier to just pay 2k at the airport instead of ****ing around at the immigration office to save 100 baht? I booked my trip for 34 days thinking I'd be on the 60 day tourist visa, but I read the requirements wrong.
    Not a good idea at all. If something were to happen....anything, and you need to show your passport and your visa is expired, you will be deported and your passport will be red stamped and you will not be able to enter Thailand again. Unlikely to happen?....sure, but if it does they will make an example of you....NOT WORTH IT!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Not a good idea at all. If something were to happen....anything, and you need to show your passport and your visa is expired, you will be deported and your passport will be red stamped and you will not be able to enter Thailand again. Unlikely to happen?....sure, but if it does they will make an example of you....NOT WORTH IT!!
    Agree with Bill.... The danger is not at the airport,they will gladly take your cash.... and there will not be an issue.........the danger lies if something goes wrong before you get to the airport.... a moto accident, or an immigration raid (known to happen, but rare), anything that would require you to prove who you are really.... and you will be deemed to be in the country illegally. Your visa waiver will have EXPIRED.... Some airlines will not let you board your forward leg, if you have no visa, and no proof of exit from Thailand within the 30 day visa waiver period.... Do the extension, 1900 baht, 60 bucks, isn't a lot for peace of mind

I see... Can I do this shortly after arriving in BKK or do I have to wait closer to expiration? And is it an immediate turn around or does it take a few days?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I see... Can I do this shortly after arriving in BKK or do I have to wait closer to expiration? And is it an immediate turn around or does it take a few days?
    Go to the immi office, wherever you happen to be, close to the expiration of the waiver and you will be fine.... it is done on the spot, depends how many people are there, how long it will take

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    you can do it at any immigration office and anytime between now and the expiry date....same day but be aware queues are always long at this time of year so get there early

Thanks guys.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    I have gone to the immi office even after I have over-stayed, I paid extra 1000 baht, no worries. I have a friend in Chiang Mai, married to a TG with a 5 on 5 off schedule like me and he over-stays about every time. Whatever is cheaper, a trip into town or pay at the airport.

When I was going through immigration last time I had about an hour to spare, I still got called aside to the "desk." Didn't have to pay, just had to have a supervisor signature.

But like everyone else said: don't get caught!.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

The BKK immi office is kind of far out of the way, out by Don Mueang . . . and it's HUGE. Don't get lost. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I have gone to the immi office even after I have over-stayed, I paid extra 1000 baht, no worries. I have a friend in Chiang Mai, married to a TG with a 5 on 5 off schedule like me and he over-stays about every time. Whatever is cheaper, a trip into town or pay at the airport.

When I was going through immigration last time I had about an hour to spare, I still got called aside to the "desk." Didn't have to pay, just had to have a supervisor signature.

But like everyone else said: don't get caught!.
    I hope your friend get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    I hope your friend get caught.
    Okayyy, I hope you get crabs. 555

Platinum
    Okayyy, I hope you get crabs. 555
    People that break the visa rules make it more difficult for people that follow the rules.
    Today you only get 15 days extension when you do a visa run, before you got 30 days.

Is it ok that people that comes to USA overstay their visa?

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    People that break the visa rules make it more difficult for people that follow the rules.
    Today you only get 15 days extension when you do a visa run, before you got 30 days.

Is it ok that people that comes to USA overstay their visa?
    I can see your point, and I am sure the penalties for over stay in the USA is quite a bit harsher, but I don't know.

But that hardly merits wishing my friend gets caught and cannot return to his home of five years and being separated from his wife. I really don't think immigration officials see short over stays as a problem that can has to be dealt severely with by punishing all of us who stay permanently on visa that were not meant for that purpose. But I could be wrong, it's only an assumption on my part.

I hope you can see that I was trying to approach the situation with some levity.

BTW, the new rule for crossing land boarders has changed for G7 countries recently, for them, you get 30 days and not 15 any more.

I looked it up for you, in case you were interested.

USA Over stay Consequences

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    There's one in Patong , if you are staying there

Platinum
    I can see your point, and I am sure the penalties for over stay in the USA is quite a bit harsher, but I don't know.

But that hardly merits wishing my friend gets caught and cannot return to his home of five years and being separated from his wife. I really don't think immigration officials see short over stays as a problem that can has to be dealt severely with by punishing all of us who stay permanently on visa that were not meant for that purpose. But I could be wrong, it's only an assumption on my part.

I hope you can see that I was trying to approach the situation with some levity.

BTW, the new rule for crossing land boarders has changed for G7 countries recently, for them, you get 30 days and not 15 any more.
    If he is married to a Thai why not get a proper visa Thailand Marriage Visa | Thai Visa Application

Thailand marriage visa is the popular term for "One Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage". This type of visa is issued to the foreigner who is married to a Thai national and meets the requirements of the immigration bureau. The Thai marriage visa holder is entitled to stay for a full year in Thailand without the need to exit the country. The visa is renewable every year and it can be renewed within Thailand given that the foreigner has met the requirements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast