Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Change to extending 30 day visa exemption

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Change to extending 30 day visa exemption

Gday All,

I haven't seen it mentioned in here so I thought I would post this little bit of info from a visa guy in Pattaya

I doesn't apply to people with VISAS at all, just the people with visa waiver stamps

"It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st June 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

So itís getting harder guys, if your stay is going to be over 30 days then I suggest you consider obtaining a visa from a Thai Consulate in your home Country before arriving in Thailand. No visa, if you cross a border expect only 7 days!!!"

Best Idea is to get the suitable visa for your intentions I reckon
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

A little bit more....

It has become clear to me on my reading of what Thai Immi are up to, that from August 12 back to back visa exemptions are going to be difficult if not impossible to obtain... I *THINK*, because they are anything but clear, they have NOT said how much time there needs to be between VE's....what they are getting at, again, *I THINK* is if you have a PP with border runs in it, you may have big problems getting back into Thailand after that date. I *THINK* they are attempting to weed out the people that are in/out on the same day.. and are actually living in Thailand... There are reports of people already being refused at land crossings, returning with a TV, but, this *should, I THINK* be read in conjunction with the the number of in/outs they have in their PP.

From what I can glean, if you enter Thailand by any means after Aug 12, looking for a visa exemption, make sure you have an itinerary of your hotels etc and a ticket out of the joint... or proof you are leaving by land... Also, they *MAY* ask to sight 10K baht for the 30 day exemption or 20k baht for a TV. ( or equivalent foreign cash)

As far as I understand it, these have always been the law, but have never been really enforced, but they have decided to enforce it after Aug 12 at airports.. seems to be they are already enforcing it at some land crossings.

The info isn't for expats, who will tell you they are living on the correct visa, but rather those who are not... They will be in for a nasty surprise...

It's a timely crack down on foreign nationals abuse of tourist visa's.

AFAIK regular bone-fide visitors arriving by air should not be impacted even if land border crossings are made so long as they can show it was for travel ... eg: 3 day trip to Angkor Wat. However, it is early days so traveling (enter/exit) by air seems the best bet as AOT Immi officers have greater discretion than land borders.
    dave01 likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It's a timely crack down on foreign nationals abuse of tourist visa's.

AFAIK regular bone-fide visitors arriving by air should not be impacted even if land border crossings are made so long as they can show it was for travel ... eg: 3 day trip to Angkor Wat. However, it is early days so traveling (enter/exit) by air seems the best bet as AOT Immi officers have greater discretion than land borders.
    Yeah, I think it is an attempt to sort out the blokes and gals, that are living in Thailand on TV's and VE's.. They were talking about Koreans and Russians and Vietnamese, as the main culprits of living and working illegally.

As you say, the way I read it, is if you are only coming in for a holiday, VE's and TV's will be fine... but you *may* face increased scrutiny from the immi officer...

I guess I will find out in a couple of days... I will come in on VE.. but I have the outward ticket and hotel itinerary and can show em a wad of cash.... that is if I am indeed, asked... I am only going to be in Thailand for a couple of weeks..

I came through HKT immigration a few days ago from DXB and as I was at the back of the A330 there were 200+ ahead of me, I chose a line with kids thinking they would be processed quickly, not so, most were with their Mother only and they got pulled aside, many others including single fellows were having to produce extra paperwork; in my case no problem, with my last exit being by air 02 June. I did wonder about using the 3 minute, 30 day, 1000THB desk for a visa on arrival, as it was mostly vacant.